How much did RDR2 cost to make?

As game development cost has not been revealed yet I just wonder how much did game cost to make? There are all sorts calculations floating around the web. Development years multiplied by average R* salary times number of employees. Estimated marketing cost between 400-500 mil. The best guesstimates are between 800 mil -1 billion , Game made 725 million in just three days so it is huge success. With online fully active it has potential to become next money spinner. GTA V made R* 5 billion so RDR2 will bring more money from online and additional sales. Well done. But how much all of this cost?

Edited by JohnConnor

GTA5 cost $265m to make. 

Rockstar has not provided an official estimate of the cost for Red Dead Redemption 2, but industry analyst Michael Pachter has been quoted by Venture Beat as stating, “There are probably 200 full time equivalent employees working on the game, and that has been the case for 8.5 years. At $100,000 per employee, that’s $20 million a year times 8.5 years, equals $170 million.”

Our guess? Red Dead Redemption 2 cost a lot more to make than that. Remember, those are just employee salaries. We also would have to add in other costs, like the price to market the game as well as costs relating to technological upgrades.

1 minute ago, Benjo said:

GTA5 cost $265m to make. 

Do you know whether it is cost before any marketing expenses? so RDR2 has probably cost the same but marketing cost always exceed development costs. Look at the marketing cost of  Destiny 2. I think it has exceeded development cost.

Must admit, I honestly don't care what it cost to make ... if I want to buy a car or a washing machine, do I want/need to know what it cost to make, NO !!! Only need to know what it will cost me to buy and perhaps how much it will cost to run and maintain ... manufacture costs are TOTALLY irrelevant to the consumer ... 

5 minutes ago, Sir Wrinklebutt said:

Must admit, I honestly don't care what it cost to make ... if I want to buy a car or a washing machine, do I want/need to know what it cost to make, NO !!! Only need to know what it will cost me to buy and perhaps how much it will cost to run and maintain ... manufacture costs are TOTALLY irrelevant to the consumer ... 

Nice point of interest though. 

2 hours ago, Poggy said:

Dunno about totally irrelevant to the consumer if you want the company to stay in business long enough to give you patches, updates, DLCs and a sequel ... :)

All I am saying is, I have never ( I think the same applies to the majority ), taken into account or considered the manufacturing costs to in any way influence my decision to buy something .. the continued existence and or longevity of  manufacturer is down to them to provide a product we are prepared to pay at the till, shareholders care, consumers in general, do not. I have been in business for 40 yrs, employ 140+ people, never had a customer ask for an explanation about what my product costs, they really don't care, value for money at the till is what they care about, and rightfully so .. my overheads are nothing to do with them ..

If GTA 5 cost $265 million.....im guessing $350 to $400 million or even higher, just factor in how long ago GTA 5 was made [last gen]....either way Rockstar will make a huge profit?

Edited by MJROu812