Why HDR implementation is such a big thing?

JohnConnor

2 minutes ago, Dubya75 said:

Of course there is a difference between having HDR turned on or off in RDR2. But the big problem is that HDR turned ON looks like garbage. It is NOT what HDR is supposed to look like. Not even close!

Again, I don't really have anything to compare it to. Looks great to me, but I thought it looked great on my original xbox one.

I just got the x like 2 weeks ago and RDR2 is the only game I've played on it. I literally just changed the settings on Friday to enable the 4k display. Had no idea it wasn't automatic.

You clearly know more than I do about this, doesn't mean that me or @Force58 are blind/delusional...

Not everyone knows about this stuff, so instead of trying to belittle them for it you should try to educate them.

16 minutes ago, Dubya75 said:

So basically you are saying HDR is some kind of mystical thing which can't be measured but has to be perceived??? REALLY? 

Don't trust a color profile prepped by a computer? You do realize that the games you are playing (even RDR2) is COMPUTER- generated and that every pixel is a computer generated unit accounted for and can therefore be measured with absolute mathematical precision? 

HDR constitutes mathematical calculation and rendering of color. By definition, HDR is an expansion of color range, which can be measured with absolute mathematical accuracy and precision. Digital Foundry measured this and found that it is not in fact, accurate HDR. Because in order for a range of color to be HDR, it needs to have a certain mathematically accurate color range. It is absolutely measurable. It is not a matter of perception, but of absolute mathematical accuracy.

Everyone sees things differently, but 2+2 ALWAYS equals 4 no matter how you try to "see" something else.

You are unfortunately completely ignorant of the fact and on top of that completely delusional. Not a good combination.

Man, you sure like the name calling don't you.  I know what my eyes can see.  I realize this is a forum and we're free to express opinion.  Again, I could care less about the stats.  My eyes are the true measure of what looks good or not.

18 minutes ago, Truth said:

I got everything setup, and I can definitely see the difference. I can't say that it's displaying in 4k hdr like it says it should, but it definitely looks better than it did before I set it up. I simply don't have much to compare it with. Maybe I'll try it on AC origins at some point. That's probably the only other game I would expect to look "enhanced".

Edit:

There's no need for that man... Some of us just don't have all that much experience with this fancy technology.

It's just as big a difference for me as it was when I played AC:Odyssey in 4K HDR.  I think no matter what I say to Dubya he'll find some reason to say its wrong.  What I'm seeing doesn't lie though.

57 minutes ago, Dubya75 said:

Of course there is a difference between having HDR turned on or off in RDR2. But the big problem is that HDR turned ON looks like garbage. It is NOT what HDR is supposed to look like. Not even close!

Run God Of War, and toggle HDR on and off. Then you will understand what HDR should look like.

Hmmm, not sure what else to say.  HDR turned on on my Xbox One X and my LG TV and playing RDR2 or AC:Odyssey looks amazing, not at all like "garbage".  Are there screen pics or vids showing both HDR and no HDR that you can share because maybe I don't have my Xbox and/or TV setup properly and when I think I'm outputting 4K/HDR I'm actually not.

When HDR is gone right, it looks incredible.  i.e. Horizon Zero Dawn, AC:Odyssey.

When it's not, well... then you get RDR 2.

Now, the HDR in RDR 2 is very, very subjective.  To me, the HDR in RDR 2 blows out the colors and they look more washed out,  This is because the implementation pretty much brightens specific colors rather than objects and scenes. Therefore you loose a lot of detail, especially while in the snow areas because HDR blows our the white color.  However... the positive is the game looks more "movie like" to me.

I have been keeping HDR off since I prefer to see the details in everything and the colors aren't blown or washed out, so the greens look more green, the shadows look more black, etc....  The SDR image contain a lot more of the details (since the HDR image is just the SDR image with a ton of brightness thrown on top).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Prophecy said:

Now, the HDR in RDR 2 is very, very subjective.  To me, the HDR in RDR 2 blows out the colors and they look more washed out,  This is because the implementation pretty much brightens specific colors rather than objects and scenes. Therefore you loose a lot of detail, especially while in the snow areas because HDR blows our the white color.  However... the positive is the game looks more "movie like" to me.

This helped me a lot more than "you must be blind or delusional". I'll try turning it off again to see the difference. Thanks for the input!

23 hours ago, Prophecy said:

To me, the HDR in RDR 2 blows out the colors and they look more washed out,  This is because the implementation pretty much brightens specific colors rather than objects and scenes. Therefore you loose a lot of detail, especially while in the snow areas because HDR blows our the white color.  However... the positive is the game looks more "movie like" to me.

On that note, I get the sense that this was intentional, almost as if it has the cinematic-desaturated quality of the color correction and over-blown exposure of brightness with the dark vignette is supposed to give the impression of 19th century photography.

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 2:26 PM, BropolloCreed79 said:

Not to be contrarian, but the human eye can absolutely tell the difference between 1080p and 4K:

1435998009385243206.png

I play on a 60" 4K set that's about five feet in front of me, and the difference between 1080p and 4K in video is glaring..

Most people do not sit that close to a TV.  Just measured and I'm about 12 feet from my 60. 

lets split the difference and call the average 8ft. (according to the graph) You'd have to be watching a 70" or larger to see any difference. 

Suffices to say that buying 4k in anything smaller than 60" is probably a waste of money.

Edited by Hammer
Spelling

2 hours ago, Hammer said:

Most people do not sit that close to a TV.  Just measured and I'm about 12 feet from my 60. 

lets split the difference and call the average 8ft. (according to the graph) You'd have to be watching a 70" or larger to see any difference. 

Suffices to say that buying 4k in anything smaller than 60" is probably a waste of money.

ZzZ... This is the same argument some people have held on to since the colour-tv was something new. Of course people can see the difference, except if you are blind of course... I would say that even I as a 36 year old can see the difference on TVs way smaller than 60”. 

Edited by Minimoni

On 10/31/2018 at 8:39 AM, JohnConnor said:

I dont have HDR but game looks gorgous in SDR so not sure what the fuss is about. Is HDR really such a big deal?

I made the mistake of playing my entire first play through with the HDR function on, only now looking back at my screenshots did I realize just how bad it makes the game look. First of all, in true 4K, this game is otherworldly, I found myself staring at a picture of me by flat iron lake for a few minutes in SDR. You are not missing out on anything with HDR in this game. However, in select past titles and future ones, HDR makes a huge difference in image quality. Unless Rockstar fixes the HDR implementation in the future, this game will always look better in SDR. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Minimoni said:

ZzZ... This is the same argument some people have held on to since the colour-tv was something new. Of course people can see the difference, except if you are blind of course... I would say that even I as a 36 year old can see the difference on TVs way smaller than 60”. 

The TV manufacturers love consumers like you....