Jump to content

The ugliest characters I have ever seen.


Zchu
 Share

Recommended Posts

Back then the average death age was 35. The only heath care was your herbs and poultices.  If you lived near a town you might find a wannabe doctor.

You started work at 6 or 7 years old. You did not buy food, you grew it. In fact this did not stop until the 1950s.

Pretty girls went to the highest bidder. Most men that traveled used the red light houses for their needs, and usually died from it.

Look at poor counties today, nothing has changed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The fact is, it doesn't matter the setting we are being put on, in this time being hit by a meteor in the face when you were born could be a common practice by whoever helped you get out, but that doesn't explain all the other beautifully done NPCs that should've got the same meteor to the face.

The way things were in 1890 could explain why everyone look like they spent 3 years rubbing their faces in asphalt? Yes, but then again why the NPCs have the faces of someone that didn't... same time, same issues, a humongous GAP in the looks.

"But 1 out of 100 people were good looking in that time." - I can see that, since all the NPCs are 1 and the players are the other 99.... we were shown beautiful people playing single player, we were shown beautiful people in online, Jessica LeClerk and Allison ( the girl you are suposed to save from bandits in twin rocks are good examples )
Yet wanting to play as a good looking character seems too much to ask.

Edited by Bonzai
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think y'all waste too much time concerned about the appearance of a character that you stare at the backside of majority of the time.  I think you need to focus on what you are staring at majority of the day while playing.  Not the part that will be facedown into a pillow.  Just saying.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, YodaMan 3D said:

I think y'all waste too much time concerned about the appearance of a character that you stare at the backside of majority of the time.  I think you need to focus on what you are staring at majority of the day while playing.  Not the part that will be facedown into a pillow.  Just saying.

Well you may think it's not important. I lived my life playing RPGs so for me Character Creation is a huge deal when available, and when I see the pretty face I used my time and effort to sculpt showing up on MVP screens, Winner screens or mission CGs it makes me feel proud about the work I did, I don't know about the others but that also helps immersion for RP (I've done in GTA) sculpting your face and making it the way you like it helps developing attatchment and a sense on how to portrait that character, like voice and mannerisms, makes me be even more true to the way the character is.
 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Bonzai said:

Well you may think it's not important. I lived my life playing RPGs so for me Character Creation is a huge deal when available, and when I see the pretty face I used my time and effort to sculpt showing up on MVP screens, Winner screens or mission CGs it makes me feel proud about the work I did, I don't know about the others but that also helps immersion for RP (I've done in GTA) sculpting your face and making it the way you like it helps developing attatchment and a sense on how to portrait that character, like voice and mannerisms, makes me be even more true to the way the character is.
 

Glad to see it touches you creative side.  To me, if you want to talk immersion.  Back in that day most people wasn't that pretty.  Especially in the old west.  They didn't where tight fitting clothes from a Victoria Secret catalog.   Even your Brothels did always have attractive people.  Don't get me wrong there was some.  It was rare.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, there are a lot of women these days that owe their "looks" to lots of makeup and plastic surgery.  There are many women who men consider knockouts but would certainly not feel the same way if they saw them before they got all dolled up. My wife has a couple friends like this.  I was literally in shock seeing them without warpaint the first time.  

My wife has natural beauty which means the the little bit of makeup she does occasionally use makes her features pop but she still looks like herself.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, YodaMan 3D said:

 To me, if you want to talk immersion. Back in that day most people wasn't that pretty.  Especially in the old west...

I ment immersion when getting into character, but anyways, we will still have not so good looking characters out there, look at GTA:O we could make good looking characters there, I had one and most people I knew that cared for that had one too, but 90% of the other people that didn't had ok characters... it's not like every single person online was a model... mostly weren't.
 

1 hour ago, YodaMan 3D said:

... Don't get me wrong there was some.  It was rare.


Yet on single player we saw like 6 of them in the same group of outlaws that lived months in the woods with scraps and were constantly moving.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Bonzai said:

I ment immersion when getting into character, but anyways, we will still have not so good looking characters out there, look at GTA:O we could make good looking characters there, I had one and most people I knew that cared for that had one too, but 90% of the other people that didn't had ok characters... it's not like every single person online was a model... mostly weren't.

Considering most was not what I would call common looking.  For the most part, the character didn't put out ugly as a whole in GTA.  

RDR2, they do make it hard to make a character pretty.  I figured they would allow improvements down the line with vanity items.

Edit:  I really do understand where you are coming from.  I personally don't see the need to get to worked up over it.  We have other issues in the game I would rather them focus on 1st.

Edited by YodaMan 3D
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What I don't like is when the characters don't really look like what they did during the creation process.  GTAV was like this as well.  They always seem to be a little off in some ways to me.  ....wasn't too bad in my second character creation in RDR2 though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am sick of people saying back them people were ugly.

First of all, no they were not all ugly.

And PLENTY of women today are beautiful without makeup, or plastic surgery. 

With the economy the way it is it is not like everyone can even afford a nose job.

 

Secondly, why are so many of the women NPC's in the singe player beautiful then?

Abigail, Charlotte, Sadie, Tilly, Penelope, Bonnie, Mary-Beth, Karen, and Mary to name a few.

There is a really beautiful NPC in the Online story mission "Love and Honor" named Alison.

 

And the men too. Almost all the males in the Van Der Linde gang are attractive as well.

Even a some of the other NPC's are good looking that are not in the gang. 

 

Acting like you only see the back of your character is absurd.

Your character is in cut scenes for goodness sake.

Also, I like using photo mode to take pictures of my character.

 

Why even let us customize our own characters if it did not matter how they look?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Zchu said:

I am sick of people saying back them people were ugly.

First of all, no they were not all ugly.

And PLENTY of women today are beautiful without makeup, or plastic surgery. 

With the economy the way it is it is not like everyone can even afford a nose job.

 

Secondly, why are so many of the women NPC's in the singe player beautiful then?

Abigail, Charlotte, Sadie, Tilly, Penelope, Bonnie, Mary-Beth, Karen, and Mary to name a few.

There is a really beautiful NPC in the Online story mission "Love and Honor" named Alison.

 

And the men too. Almost all the males in the Van Der Linde gang are attractive as well.

Even a some of the other NPC's are good looking that are not in the gang. 

 

Acting like you only see the back of your character is absurd.

Your character is in cut scenes for goodness sake.

Also, I like using photo mode to take pictures of my character.

 

Why even let us customize our own characters if it did not matter how they look?

Cause it is a game.  It apparently means more to some to play the game rather then having someone they don't know online telling them how beautiful their character is.  Just the other day was the 1st time anyone has mentioned that my character was ugly.   My character is fine and I am willing to live with her looking.  Well fine.  You want to spend hours perfecting your character, then go for it.  To be even more brutally honest, I see more of the backside of my character then I do the front.  So if I was going to adjust anything, it would be the view I am seeing, not what others are staring at. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, YodaMan 3D said:

Cause it is a game.  It apparently means more to some to play the game rather then having someone they don't know online telling them how beautiful their character is.  Just the other day was the 1st time anyone has mentioned that my character was ugly.   My character is fine and I am willing to live with her looking.  Well fine.  You want to spend hours perfecting your character, then go for it.  To be even more brutally honest, I see more of the backside of my character then I do the front.  So if I was going to adjust anything, it would be the view I am seeing, not what others are staring at. 

I could care less what other people think of my character. I play with voice chat off and am in a party with my friend most of the time, so can't even hear others. (it is mostly cursing teenage boys anyways.)

 

I want her to look good. When it is a beautiful sunset I want to be able to take some character selfies.

After many hours (actually days) I got my character looking... okay. Even if they had pretty features, they are not as well done as the NPC's. They don't even have eyelashes.

If you don't care how your character looks that's fine, but why act like no one else should care either? I certainly will not be telling you that you should care. If rockstar made the characters look better it would not hurt you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Zchu said:

I could care less what other people think of my character. I play with voice chat off and am in a party with my friend most of the time, so can't even hear others. (it is mostly cursing teenage boys anyways.)

 

I want her to look good. When it is a beautiful sunset I want to be able to take some character selfies.

After many hours (actually days) I got my character looking... okay. Even if they had pretty features, they are not as well done as the NPC's. They don't even have eyelashes.

If you don't care how your character looks that's fine, but why act like no one else should care either? I certainly will not be telling you that you should care. If rockstar made the characters look better it would not hurt you.

Did you upgrade her hair at the barber shop?  Adjust her makeup?  Like I said my character is fine, I have upgraded her appearance at the barber shop.  She isn't no super model, but is fine in my opinion.  

Do what you want to do, but it is difficult for customization perspective to make them perfect.  At least from a game developer, it takes resources that they, imho, should spend on the game not in customization.  You feel different, but in games like this it is usually really difficult to match characters made by the devs vs what we can make.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, YodaMan 3D said:

She isn't no super model, but is fine in my opinion.  

I'm sure it's fine.  

Unlike mine, who look like they stepped off a boat from the island of Dr. Moreau.  I've spent more time in the character creator than I have actually playing RDO at this point.

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, YodaMan 3D said:

Did you upgrade her hair at the barber shop?  Adjust her makeup?  Like I said my character is fine, I have upgraded her appearance at the barber shop.  She isn't no super model, but is fine in my opinion.  

Do what you want to do, but it is difficult for customization perspective to make them perfect.  At least from a game developer, it takes resources that they, imho, should spend on the game not in customization.  You feel different, but in games like this it is usually really difficult to match characters made by the devs vs what we can make.

Makeup and hair do not change the facial structure. And yes I have been to the barber. Most of the haird styles are badly done, or do not fit the characters head properly.

My character has a bug where she has two eyebrows, so there is only a few hairstyles I can wear that help cover that up.

The makeup is the same in the barber as in creation, only you can not adjust intensity.

 

The devs did make the presets. If they had made them normal/average looking people to begin with it be one thing, but instead it seems they went out of their way to make them ugly. Makes me wonder what their motive was, maybe they will sell premium character creation features in the future... who knows.

I have seen other games do this. The free face presets are badly done and ugly, and you have to pay for a premium ticket to get the better faces. 

 

3 minutes ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

I'm sure it's fine.  

Unlike mine, who look like they stepped off a boat from the island of Dr. Moreau.  I've spent more time in the character creator than I have actually playing RDO at this point.

 

The struggle is real!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

I'm sure it's fine.  

Unlike mine, who look like they stepped off a boat from the island of Dr. Moreau.  I've spent more time in the character creator than I have actually playing RDO at this point.

 

Played  with a group, last week or so.  They was all friends with some of the ugliest characters in the game.  When I joined they introduced themselves.  The 1st guy walks up a says we are are the Lee Family Posse.  I'm Ug Lee, that over their is my brother Home Lee, and he continued I just couldn't stop laughing.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, YodaMan 3D said:

Played  with a group, last week or so.  They was all friends with some of the ugliest characters in the game.  When I joined they introduced themselves.  The 1st guy walks up a says we are are the Lee Family Posse.  I'm Ug Lee, that over their is my brother Home Lee, and he continued I just couldn't stop laughing.

See, THAT'S how it's supposed to be.

I'll probably take another stab at it tonight, and then whatever I end up with is what I'll keep going forward.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Zchu said:

My character has a bug where she has two eyebrows, so there is only a few hairstyles I can wear that help cover that up.

I'm confused, aren't two eyebrows normal? or were you hoping for a unibrow?

I think the majority of people back then only appeared ugly because of poor hygiene.  Very dirty, unkempt, teeth like in the character creator at best, etc. My local pub until recently had a picture and license from what was considered back then to be the hottest prostitute in the San Francisco area, and by today's standards, she is not attractive at all, and quite lumpy by the photo.  

I am hoping to be able to make a second or third character to play someday, like GTA had, because I always start with a character that I try to make look as much like me as possible, then try to make something silly/hideous when I don't feel like playing my main.  This might come to RDO, but it will probably be a long time before it does. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, KRooKeD KRoW said:

I'm confused, aren't two eyebrows normal? or were you hoping for a unibrow?

I think the majority of people back then only appeared ugly because of poor hygiene.  Very dirty, unkempt, teeth like in the character creator at best, etc. My local pub until recently had a picture and license from what was considered back then to be the hottest prostitute in the San Francisco area, and by today's standards, she is not attractive at all, and quite lumpy by the photo.  

I am hoping to be able to make a second or third character to play someday, like GTA had, because I always start with a character that I try to make look as much like me as possible, then try to make something silly/hideous when I don't feel like playing my main.  This might come to RDO, but it will probably be a long time before it does. 

So why are all the NPC's attractive for the most part?

Most of the presets look like some grotesque inbreds, it is jarring when all the NPC's walking around look fine.

I mean two pairs of eyebrows. So I guess 4 eyebrows?

double_eyebrows.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Zchu said:

So why are all the NPC's attractive for the most part?

Most of the presets look like some grotesque inbreds, it is jarring when all the NPC's walking around look fine.

I mean two pairs of eyebrows. So I guess 4 eyebrows?

double_eyebrows.jpg

Ok, so is that your heidious character that your are sooooo ashamed of.  Cause other then a different hairstyle, I ain't seeing a brownbagging dining moment here.  Believe it or not, I have seen reallife people with eyebrows like that, usually a older person.  They do exists.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, YodaMan 3D said:

Ok, so is that your heidious character that your are sooooo ashamed of.  Cause other then a different hairstyle, I ain't seeing a brownbagging dining moment here.  Believe it or not, I have seen reallife people with eyebrows like that, usually a older person.  They do exists.

I shaved her head so you could see the eyebrows. I send this in as a bug report to rockstar.

This is a bug, in creation I chose an eyebrow, and after the first cut scene it put another eyebrow in black on her face. So she has one that is black and one that is brown. its hard to tell in the lighting. No one in real life has two seperate eyebrows give me a break.  

I never said my character was hideous. i made this post on day one before I did any editing. There are only 3 okay looking presets for the females. The rest of them just look like a joke. And trust me it took me 3 days to get her to look decent. the preset is ugly without editing.  She still is not anywhere near the female NPC's in the game, which I find unfair.

And sense there are only a few decent presets every female looks the same (most are preset 11). I am not sure why they bothered making 11 presets when only a few are usable.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Zchu said:

I shaved her head so you could see the eyebrows. I send this in as a bug report to rockstar.

This is a bug, in creation I chose an eyebrow, and after the first cut scene it put another eyebrow in black on her face. So she has one that is black and one that is brown. its hard to tell in the lighting. No one in real life has two seperate eyebrows give me a break.  

I never said my character was hideous. i made this post on day one before I did any editing. There are only 3 okay looking presets for the females. The rest of them just look like a joke. And trust me it took me 3 days to get her to look decent. the preset is ugly without editing.  She still is not anywhere near the female NPC's in the game, which I find unfair.

And sense there are only a few decent presets every female looks the same (most are preset 11). I am not sure why they bothered making 11 presets when only a few are usable.

Ok, let me try it this way.  There isn't anything wrong with that character and not sure it isn't on par with what the NPCs are.  To me this seems to be more you trying to nitpick.  Keep up your fight, I'm just not seeing a problem.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, YodaMan 3D said:

Ok, let me try it this way.  There isn't anything wrong with that character and not sure it isn't on par with what the NPCs are.  To me this seems to be more you trying to nitpick.  Keep up your fight, I'm just not seeing a problem.  

To me the characters are not as well done as the NPC's at all. They have no eyelashes, the eyes are lopsided and the corners of the eyes are all messed up.

The nostrils look like they were carved out of playdough.

The facial expressions are horrid. The characters are always smooshing there lips together and making stupid expressions.

I don't really know why you care if I think the characters are ugly.

I know they can make beautiful characters, I just don't understand why they chose not to for the character creation presets.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

LATEST RDR2 NEWS CLIPS

×
×
  • Create New...