No thanks,.... idiotic with idiots

Mazier_Drave

Ive sunk a lot of hours into solo play, and if you're on your own you do have to be careful.  

It's best to go to unpopulated map areas to hunt and stuff.  Fast travel helps here.

Also, take detours past pink dots (especially in gangs).  

When in town shop or stable to be safe.

If possible, play at quiet times when folk are work/school/sleep.

Never skin or look at map if there's a pink dot near, wait until it moves on.

Draw gun and hide if a pink dot approaches.

The most annoying things are horse killing, pelt ruins, animation lassos, and waving a mutual greeting to signal no interest in briefing only to be shot in the back straight afterword.  I always try to harangue such douche bags off the server if this happens.  Even when I've been outnumbered, I just keep turning up and killing some of them and their horses and prevent them doing anything else.  I don't like such stuff, but I don't like bullies to feel empowered and unpunished.

1 hour ago, Anc1entC0re said:

I don't think they should do non-PVP servers but rather just have private ones for friends to just join up and play together. 

Yeah, I agree.  I'm not advocating for PvP vs. non-PvP modes but simply invite-only sessions as there are now in GTAVO.  What those folks choose to do in those would be their business whether its coop, adversarial, role playing, etc.  They should be able to switch as they wish IMO.  ....also as GTAVO is currently set up. I also have little doubt that these will appear at some point in the game.

I think it's obvious R* will go with the GTA model and keep certain money making opportunities in public sessions.  I don't care for that model but it is what it is.  My only hope at that point is that there is enough to do in private sessions so I don't have to wander into public one (if at all).  The only way I can really enjoy public sessions will be if they begin to implement changes that will discourage random killing of other players (trolling / griefing) and further reward cooperative gameplay.  

Make encounters more natural feeling.  Take away the player "radar" detection and make it proximity and LOS based.  Take away the clear advantage random killers have in the game.  

I didn't like the griefing R* encouraged in GTAVO but I understood it.  It made sense in that gameworld with it's "over the top", indulgent, tech laden and corrupt nature.  ......not so much in the RDR universe.

19 hours ago, OGTKCole said:

I also think they should do away with auto-aim as well, I bet all the griefers would cry. How you impress me shoot without auto aim, which a lot of these guys cant. Its one of the main reasons a lot of them hated PUBG.

Meh.. I think auto aim should stay if thats what people enjoy using.   But, they sure as hell need to add a free aim mode.  And a friendly mode for pve.   This makes everyone happy. (Unless someone wants to force pvp and auto aim on all players).     

I use free aim.   But currently.. I  have had plenty of times where i need to swap to Auto Aim just to deal with players.  It drives me bonkers.  I have to look and spot targets and then aim.  While these little trolls are running at me at full speed, sometimes on a horse and just spammin LT and landing shots.

So i end up having to go to settings, swap to auto aim.. Fight back.  Then when its done i have to switch back to free aim.

For me.. As far as Free Aim goes.   I don't care about skill as much as i care about not getting shot with ease.    

Even the damn lasso has auto aim..    Why?..lol

Edited by HuDawg
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Poggy said:

Ive sunk a lot of hours into solo play, and if you're on your own you do have to be careful.  

It's best to go to unpopulated map areas to hunt and stuff.  Fast travel helps here.

Also, take detours past pink dots (especially in gangs).  

When in town shop or stable to be safe.

If possible, play at quiet times when folk are work/school/sleep.

Never skin or look at map if there's a pink dot near, wait until it moves on.

Draw gun and hide if a pink dot approaches.

The most annoying things are horse killing, pelt ruins, animation lassos, and waving a mutual greeting to signal no interest in briefing only to be shot in the back straight afterword.  I always try to harangue such douche bags off the server if this happens.  Even when I've been outnumbered, I just keep turning up and killing some of them and their horses and prevent them doing anything else.  I don't like such stuff, but I don't like bullies to feel empowered and unpunished.

Yah, There is no way I'm going to go through that much trouble to simply play an online mode. The Single player is way too much fun. I do agree that this would help though.

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 4:20 AM, the uncucked canuck said:

No i find it fun to have a game where everyone can enjoy watching their back and having incentive to group up or avoid players while riding alone.

I find it fun knowing that everyone risked their butt for the same reward i did, instead of grinding in PVE only to come out of it when looking for blood in PVP

I find it cool that Rockstar did this, and if enough people whine and eventually something has to happen, they shouldn't ruin the game for everyone else in the process.

There should be normie passive mode allowed servers and separate PVP servers with separate characters

Tell me, oh wise one.  How do you avoid AUTO AIM?

I myself don't play games like this with free aim, but I agree, there should be servers for people that do.  There's enough people that prefer it to need them.  Myself, in games like this, I turn auto-aim and lock-on all the way up, just cuz you are at a huge disadvantage without it.  Other games, mostly FPS, I hate auto aim and aim assist, cuz I'll be trying to shoot at a person under my reticle, and the aim assist pulls my shot away and I miss cuz someone ran past my target, gets really annoying.

1 hour ago, sLLiMM said:

I'd guess it's like gta to where if you have it off in your settings then join/create a match it's off in online also 

I don't think that's available right now, being the beta, it seems they haven't released all the content they have lined up, but should be coming soon.  I believe the original RDR's online mode had the free-aim servers, but been too long since I've played it.  I think while it's beta, they may be trying to lump everyone in together to fully stress test the servers and whatnot.  Once they open up free-aim and private servers, I imagine there would be less people in each free-roam public server.

6 hours ago, HuDawg said:

Meh.. I think auto aim should stay if thats what people enjoy using.   But, they sure as hell need to add a free aim mode.  And a friendly mode for pve.   This makes everyone happy. (Unless someone wants to force pvp and auto aim on all players).     

I use free aim.   But currently.. I  have had plenty of times where i need to swap to Auto Aim just to deal with players.  It drives me bonkers.  I have to look and spot targets and then aim.  While these little trolls are running at me at full speed, sometimes on a horse and just spammin LT and landing shots.

So i end up having to go to settings, swap to auto aim.. Fight back.  Then when its done i have to switch back to free aim.

For me.. As far as Free Aim goes.   I don't care about skill as much as i care about not getting shot with ease.    

Even the damn lasso has auto aim..    Why?..lol

Man imagine going full speed on a horse and someone landing a head shot on you with a repeater. Thats what has been happening. Auto-Aim allows them to just hold the trigger and the game does the rest. Thats so garbage in my opinion.

On 11/29/2018 at 10:57 AM, Truth said:

I'm supporting a change to the existing mode, not suggesting an entirely new mode... I don't understand why you're so confused by this...

I can't think of any good reason to keep them other than for trolls, but I also haven't played online yet. I'll assume (for now) that there may be a decent reason. In GTAO it made sense. For one, there were phones (a realistic way that one could assume player locations would be communicated). Second, you could stop someone from completing a resupply/delivery mission and make some money (not sure if that's possible in RDR).

That is. Had a posse ambush me in the middle of a mission where I was delivering mail.

There was a guy in a server I was in who went around killing people, then got mad when I killed him and said, “this ain’t GTA”, he came back killed me and my horse and then proceed to kill me and others again. 

Edited by Morpheus

13 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

There was a guy in a server I was in who went around killing people, then got mad when I killed him and said, “this ain’t GTA”, he came back killed me and my horse and then proceed to kill me and others again. 

RDO is currently as toxic as it ever has been since launch (only a few days ago mind you) and I can only see it getting worse until R* releases an update addressing the issue.  I hate to say it but I may have to put the game aside until they do.  I have friends who weren't able to play until this weekend and are really disappointed by what they encountered.  The trouble is, when they put a game aside, they don't always come back to revisit it even if they do understand it's still a work in progress.

30 minutes ago, Kean_1 said:

RDO is currently as toxic as it ever has been since launch (only a few days ago mind you) and I can only see it getting worse until R* releases an update addressing the issue.  I hate to say it but I may have to put the game aside until they do.  I have friends who weren't able to play until this weekend and are really disappointed by what they encountered.  The trouble is, when they put a game aside, they don't always come back to revisit it even if they do understand it's still a work in progress.

By no means am I putting the game away. If they got rid of the ‘always on’ blip, things would change a lot. Personally I think the economy is worse than trolls right now. 

Edited by Morpheus
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

By no means am I putting the game away. If they got rid of the ‘always on’ blip, things would change a lot. Personally I think the economy is worse than trolls right now. 

Yeah, I wasn't suggesting your were or even should.  .....just mentioning that I might until improvements are made.  It's just the first week so I don't expect anything for another 2 or so.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

This is textbook troll mentality. 

“I can do it but how dare you do it to me” 

Some are legit sociopaths who simply can’t make the distinction between right and wrong. 

The anonymity of the internet brings out the worst in some people. 

• Like 3

Had a run in with a griefer tonight. I actually really enjoyed it though. 

Picture it, Heartlands, 1899... I was minding my own business, casually throwing knives at swarms of fish in a low spot on the river, watching them turn belly up and float to the surface for easy retrieval of knives and fish. when a Rank 4 shows up along the riverbank. I act neighbourly and wave, but I'm feeling cautious just the same. He waves back, a little too eagerly. Somethings up. Suddenly he crouches. I start to walk away slowly with my camera view focused on him as he pulls out his lasso. OK, it's ON.

I let him take the first move, he lassoes me. I break free just before he can seal the hogtie. He's whistled for his horse. I stand up and give him a taste of my pump action shotgun, nice and close-like. He immediately spawns back in and rides full bore toward me, firing from horseback with his Carbine Repeater. I take aim with my shotgun and fire - hitting his horse in the face. Horse goes down, critically injured. I switch attention to him as he's trying to collect himself and spoonfeed him some more lead. I do what any good cowgirl would do - I finish his horse and release it from it's suffering.

I don't feel much like showing off my "E-peen", as I'd rather this clown move on and lick his wounds elsewhere. I jog over to my nearby camp, as he's chasing me on horseback, shooting wildly and missing (for the most part). I emote "up yours" as he tries and fails to shoot me, and I laugh as his bullets phase through me. He tries his lasso again, but it too phases through. I emote "shoot-em up" for extra burn. I have a seat at my table and casually browse menus, the map, even leaving my bedroom to retrieve my phone to message him easier while still keeping an eye on him. "Wish we could play cards..." I say, implying my comfort at outwaiting him. He never replied, but he stayed seated across from me for 10 minutes (real time). I stood up and "flee'd" to his horse. He finally stood up and found a new world to harass.

I scout the map to be sure he didn't send word to any friends, looks clear. I start walking back down to the river to "fish" when suddenly my entire minimap gets a red halo. I hear shouting and red dots encircle me. They caught me off guard but it appears like a band of NPC bandits, or maybe bounty hunters, since I killed that griefer twice. I take out a few, but they put me down twice before I finished them off. I probably killed about a dozen of them in total. The last kill was satisfying as I fired my repeater into the last enemies belly - he stumbled behind a tree, and I met him with my hunting knife, by way of tackling him and "execution" by a vicious throat slash. All the rest of the bodies disappeared due to the limited distance, so I only got to loot the last 3 bodies I killed down at the river. I got disconnected soon after.

😈 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hammer said:

Turn on your mic to everyone and listen to who is griefing and trolling, mostly 10 to 15 year old boys..

If R* just had a 16 and older server most of the issues would go away.  GTAO was the same way....

I wish the 17+ was somehow enforced 

• Like 2

But then don't you discriminate against the young'uns? Yeah, they can be annoying, but a lot of them just want to play. I've also run in to 'adult' griefers and trolls in other games. There should be a detriment to unprovoked killing of a player so it is dealt with in game in a way that makes sense for the time and setting.

3 hours ago, PlatypusErotica said:
4 hours ago, Poggy said:

(except those playing on mom/dad account).  Might help at least.

I've also run in to 'adult' griefers and trolls in other games. 

That’s the problem, most kids are playing on their parents cards. 

Ive run into plenty of young adult greifers too. 

Curious if the name of the game is RED DEAD or RED Hunter/Fisher and freely roam without consequence.

I also hate getting killed for no reason but I did not buy this game to hunt (The Hunter Call of the Wild did that for me) and since I flyfish a ton IRL, I did not buy a shooting game for the fishing.

Remove the blips, sure. Make the killing of others for no reason outside of a mission or in a duel a heavy bounty offense and makes the posses that form a viable thing to capture these western bad guys and bring them to justice.

What would the purpose of Red Dead online be if we only hunted, fished and rode around? I don't find dragging your friends around after lassoing them to be any fun at all and boring as heck after doing it once or twice. So what other passive things would keep this online game fresh?

Oh wait, maybe we could meet a member of the opposite sex and get married and raise kids....blah blah blah

• Like 1

So far, i do like the game allot. I wish they would have left the bounty system like it is in story mode, where you have to pay $ dollars to get rid of it and have real bounty hunters coming after you, if it gets to high. So griefing would have been sanctioned to some extend.

On the other hand, i really like that the game does favor those who organize themselves in groups. I really like team play and i am even running a crew for it. It's pretty much the same situation as it is with GTA. You could play on your own and deal with the issues or join a large group dedicated to help and protect each other.

As a member of such a group, we are riding around with up to 7 and even go hunting like that. The benefits that come from it is that you can hunt or run missions rather peacefully as most other players avoid large groups.

5 hours ago, PlatypusErotica said:

But then don't you discriminate against the young'uns? Yeah, they can be annoying, but a lot of them just want to play. I've also run in to 'adult' griefers and trolls in other games. There should be a detriment to unprovoked killing of a player so it is dealt with in game in a way that makes sense for the time and setting.

Yeah, trolls aren't limited to just young kids.  A lot of others are doing it too, including adults. 

R* chose to include and market all of these other elements into free roam like hunting, fishing, coop, solo play, story missions, side quests, etc.  ......so yeah, I do expect that I can do these things with friends (or alone) and enjoy them.  The issue is that trolls tend to dictate what players can do most times simply because the game lacks consequences for those that choose to troll.  ....and currently lacks alternatives for those that don't wish to be exposed to their grief-like actions.

I'm quite confident R* will introduce invite-only sessions and perhaps passive options, etc. to mitigate the issue.  In the end, that's all that matters to me. 

EDIT:  btw, R* just posted this a few minutes ago on Twitter:

We want to thank everyone for their feedback on the first few days of the Red Dead Online Beta. Now that it’s accessible to all players, we’ll work to balance and fine tune the experience to make sure it’s fun and rewarding for all kinds of players.

I think most can read between the lines here that complaints about griefing is at the root of this response.

....and they continue to say:

Please continue to send us your feedback - we are listening! More updates to come. Submit feedback here:

Edited by Kean_1
  • Like 3

I read a lot of comments on here. I just started playing red dead on line today. And unfortunately I could not complete my first free roam mission, because I had one idiot who will not leave me alone. I was trying to meet a stranger in blackwater, and as soon as I enter Blackwater I was shot dead. I had no clue what happened, so when I respawned I tried to continue to the stranger. With the same idiot shot my horses and then shot me again. I respawned, went into my map to try to find him, and he shot me again. I just turned the game off, and came here to find a solution to this. And what I’ve read so far is not reassuring. I don’t like the ps idea. Had bad experiences with idiot switching to passive and you can’t retaliate.

Best idea I heard so far is a bouncy and jail system. Rockstar should track the amount of players killed by a single player and free roam. So if you’re out there fishing, or hunting, or maybe just going for a ride on your Horse. If someone comes up behind you and just needlessly murderers you, they will instantly have a bounty on their head. You then will spawn fairly close to that person, so you could be the first to retaliate and collect the bounty. Then Said person would be in jail, and will not be able respawn to free roam for 24 hours. After leaving jail if that person needlessly murders another player he would then have a body count, and an increase in bounty. With each murderer body count and Bounty will increase +24 hours in jail.

This will give us players that’s just trying to play the game and needlessly get interrupted by some idiot,  the satisfaction of retaliating and getting something in return in the form of the bounty. Plus knowing that they won’t be back to bother us. And for those players who likes to constantly “watch their back’s” Will have an added intensive level of watching your back with the bounty on your head.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stvnbgo said:

I read a lot of comments on here. I just started playing red dead on line today. And unfortunately I could not complete my first free roam mission, because I had one idiot who will not leave me alone. I was trying to meet a stranger in blackwater, and as soon as I enter Blackwater I was shot dead. I had no clue what happened, so when I respawned I tried to continue to the stranger. With the same idiot shot my horses and then shot me again. I respawned, went into my map to try to find him, and he shot me again. I just turned the game off, and came here to find a solution to this. And what I’ve read so far is not reassuring. I don’t like the ps idea. Had bad experiences with idiot switching to passive and you can’t retaliate.

A current solution I can suggest is to find friends to play with.  Solo play is essentially a death sentence right now.  Trolls prey on the weak and if you're alone, you're weak.   .....safety in numbers my friend.  Until they introduce invite-only sessions and/or some form of a passive option, this is your best bet IMO.  

Also, passive mode doesn't have to be the same as GTAO.  There are ways they can have the mode where griefers would not be able to switch back and forth so easily.  ....maybe not making the option switchable in the session?  .....maybe switching could only be done while in your apartment / business?  

Anyhow, I won't play RDO in its current state alone.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stvnbgo said:

Best idea I heard so far is a bouncy and jail system. Rockstar should track the amount of players killed by a single player and free roam. So if you’re out there fishing, or hunting, or maybe just going for a ride on your Horse. If someone comes up behind you and just needlessly murderers you, they will instantly have a bounty on their head. You then will spawn fairly close to that person, so you could be the first to retaliate and collect the bounty. Then Said person would be in jail, and will not be able respawn to free roam for 24 hours. After leaving jail if that person needlessly murders another player he would then have a body count, and an increase in bounty. With each murderer body count and Bounty will increase +24 hours in jail.

This will give us players that’s just trying to play the game and needlessly get interrupted by some idiot,  the satisfaction of retaliating and getting something in return in the form of the bounty. Plus knowing that they won’t be back to bother us. And for those players who likes to constantly “watch their back’s” Will have an added intensive level of watching your back with the bounty on your head.

If you are playing on PS4 and get griefed, when you respawn immediately crouch so that your griefer cannot see you.

Pull up the player list with your left directional button. Locate the griefer on the list and click on them. Choose the option to see their PSN profile. Once there, choose the "..." option at the right and click on "Block".

Log out and log back into the game.

You will never see that player ever again.

I did that on the first two days of playing. I blocked about 10 people. Now I am on servers without any di*ks, I have been playing all day today  -- everyone is cool. The PvP griefers are a tiny asinine minority. At least so far, until R* puts in a more concrete way to deal with them like private lobbies, this method at least eliminates the griefers after one event with you.

Like I said, after a couple of days and about 10 griefers getting blocked, I've been able to play peacefully all day today without anyone causing me any problems. I've had plenty of folks in my vicinity, but since I've been blocking the "must kill evah thing ah see" crowd, all of my fellow players have been peaceful and considerate.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1