Ability Card Builds?

Netnow66

I haven't really done any investing into ability cards yet as I'm hoping for a PvE environment (at some point) and I'd rather not spend/invest in PvP abilities.

I guess there's no way to know for sure if Rockstar will let us do a reset/refund once the anti griefing measures are implemented?

Is anyone else waiting because of the cost?

3 hours ago, Purist said:

Ability cards shouldn't even be in the game.  Or atleast not in any PVP related activities.  A player should never be able to tank 3 to 4 headshots and survive.

We can discuss this over and over, but everyone has the same possibilities so the playing ground is equal for all. For me the cards are the main grind reason and although I agree in Free Roam the gameplay should be altered in gunfights (PVP) due to the griefing aspect or not being ready for surprise attacks. In PVP different builds will actually give players different scenarios to have to counter, so I don't really agree, although I haven't done PVP. From what I have read there are more important problems such as the varmint headshot rifle that need to be addressed.

As far as loadouts are concerned there are a lot of combinations possible and I can't really comment on PVP although your loadout will depend on your skill. If you rack up headshots running Eye for an Eye III combined with strange medicine III will keep health and dead eye at good levels combined with slow and steady III which gives you a decent chance at surviving more encounters. As for a 3rd passive you might want to consider Winning Streak III as a damage booster for both headand body damage.

In PVE Slippery Bastard or slow and steady seem to be decent abilities. I always use Never without one III to be able to counter the surprise attacks from other online players. There are loads of cards that are decent like Peak Condition as damage booster as well as Horseman as in PVE damage output in general is more useful compared to health and dead eye regeneration at this point of the game.

Currently working on getting the Posse beneficial cards to level 3 in order to be able to run a support character which benefit the better skilled PVP players I usually run with and am wondering how that will work. I assume these Posse related cards will be great later in in larger scale PVE and PVP team based gameplay.

• Like 2

Ability cards shouldn't even be in the game.  Or atleast not in any PVP related activities.  A player should never be able to tank 3 to 4 headshots and survive.

This is pretty much the same thing as call of duty right and the perks , right?   I thought most pvp'rs loved that option

1 hour ago, madfretter said:

This is pretty much the same thing as call of duty right and the perks , right?   I thought most pvp'rs loved that option

In a PvEvP free roam, where it places even more separation between PvE built characters and PvP built characters.  It would increase the griefing.  So far there isn't much difference between builds, but if it gets to the point where a PvE character can no longer harm a PvP character, then the PvP character can grief all day long and there isn't a thing you can do about it.  Different playstyles make it hard for all to enjoy the game.

10 minutes ago, YodaMan 3D said:

In a PvEvP free roam, where it places even more separation between PvE built characters and PvP built characters.  It would increase the griefing.  So far there isn't much difference between builds, but if it gets to the point where a PvE character can no longer harm a PvP character, then the PvP character can grief all day long and there isn't a thing you can do about it.  Different playstyles make it hard for all to enjoy the game.

Oh I agree with you totally, this has no place in a combined PVE/PVP lobby. I responded the way I did because you said it didn't belong in any pvp activities. It seems like the cards would help weaker players in PVP. Since all you have to do to get them is level up in free roam, you can save up cash and buy the one that makes you harder to kill.

2 hours ago, Euphoric77 said:

We can discuss this over and over, but everyone has the same possibilities so the playing ground is equal for all. For me the cards are the main grind reason and although I agree in Free Roam the gameplay should be altered in gunfights (PVP) due to the griefing aspect or not being ready for surprise attacks. In PVP different builds will actually give players different scenarios to have to counter, so I don't really agree, although I haven't done PVP. From what I have read there are more important problems such as the varmint headshot rifle that need to be addressed.

As far as loadouts are concerned there are a lot of combinations possible and I can't really comment on PVP although your loadout will depend on your skill. If you rack up headshots running Eye for an Eye III combined with strange medicine III will keep health and dead eye at good levels combined with slow and steady III which gives you a decent chance at surviving more encounters. As for a 3rd passive you might want to consider Winning Streak III as a damage booster for both headand body damage.

In PVE Slippery Bastard or slow and steady seem to be decent abilities. I always use Never without one III to be able to counter the surprise attacks from other online players. There are loads of cards that are decent like Peak Condition as damage booster as well as Horseman as in PVE damage output in general is more useful compared to health and dead eye regeneration at this point of the game.

Currently working on getting the Posse beneficial cards to level 3 in order to be able to run a support character which benefit the better skilled PVP players I usually run with and am wondering how that will work. I assume these Posse related cards will be great later in in larger scale PVE and PVP team based gameplay.

nice post, gg

The point is however, no card should allow you to take more than 1 headshot

.....on the other hand, we are talking about a game with an auto aim system so strong that it allows players to make incredible head shots with relative ease.  ....with a .22 varmint rifle no less at a distance.

No thanks, I'll take the advantage the ability cards provide. If they had a session that eliminated auto aim, I'd say yeah, a more lethal damage model would be great.

3 hours ago, Kean_1 said:

.....on the other hand, we are talking about a game with an auto aim system so strong that it allows players to make incredible head shots with relative ease.  ....with a .22 varmint rifle no less at a distance.

No thanks, I'll take the advantage the ability cards provide. If they had a session that eliminated auto aim, I'd say yeah, a more lethal damage model would be great.

I actually like the concept of the ability cards. And, yes, if I was a PvP player, I would definitely use them to cover up my inadequate player killing skills. I saw a YT video of a guy getting shot repeatedly  (looked like some headshots also) but he eventually headshot the other guy.

But I'm definitely a PvE person so I plan to only enhance abilities that cater to that.

7 hours ago, Purist said:

The point is however, no card should allow you to take more than 1 headshot

In PVE with the massive griefing I completely disagree - it gives counter to surprise in the back shots

In PVP you might be right but I stand with my first post that stated that you have the option to equip the same ability cards which evens the playing field.

To the anti ability card folks- I'm a fight club guy and that's what my load out is built for. It wouldn't do any good with a gun in my hand. I think they are great I'm a firm believer in diversity of player builds. If  I'm smart enough to come up with a legit way of making my character superior in certain situations, why shouldn't I be able to capitalize on that. I'm not doing anything that you can't do. It's just that you don't or can't figure it out

• Like 1

I just dont even bother equipping any.  They shouldn't be in the game to start with, and Im not abut to embarrass myself by resorting to artificial ability cards in competitive modes.  Especially not when there are so many players in early/mid levels who are not even close to affording a decent load out of cards and stand no chance otherwise.  Hopefully Rockstar patches cards out of PVP and restore somewhat of the classic feeling PVP had in RDR1.

Ability cards are like the High Power Pistol of RDR2,  they are there purely to level the playing field so that average players can have an advantage over those who are just naturally better.

Edited by Purist

Well if I told you what cards I use for melee then I wouldn't be unique anymore, lol. Was pretty simple for me, as I used to do a lot of theory crafting on ESO but I digress, I would say record a couple of your fights. Play them back and figure out why you are losing. Are you landing more punches but not winning?- (invest in damage cards), are you taking less punches than your opponent but dying faster?- (invest in healing abilities) my abilities work for my play style, they may not work for yours. Ability cards in my opinion are maybe a quarter of the reason I'm the current RDR2 Fight Club Facebook group Champion (PS4). Technique is the biggest part of fighting but if you wanna learn more you can send me a friend request PSN Rusto321 I'm also admin on Rdr2 fight club PlayStation community. If you wanna go fighting hit me up

• Like 1