Jump to content

[Big Thread] Arthur's second love interest, who was it? Will it ever be revealed?


Zoroy
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, YodaMan 3D said:

You really have experienced true marriage till you played the old, "What do you want for dinner" game.  You ask your wife what would she like for dinner.  She'll say I don't care.  You make a suggestion and she'll respond with she doesn't want that.  Then you point out she must care then.  She'll be like I don't care, till you suggest something else.  You can play this game all night.  Then if someone ask what you had for dinner, she'll be like "nothing, he couldn't decide on what he wanted."

Pizza toppings? That's always an hour shot in the a$$.

"Alexa.....order a pizza."

"What would you like on it"

"Pepperoni"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, buttlint said:

Pizza toppings? That's always an hour shot in the a$$.

"Alexa.....order a pizza."

"What would you like on it"

"Pepperoni"

Pepperoni is only good at select places.  Any of the main pizza chains like Pizza Hut, Domino's, Papa Johns, etc. have horrible pepperoni.  Chicago is okay.  Unless the pepperoni is greasy and oily and hte cheese is goey it doesn't even register as top 10.  My favorite around here is Costco, i pay $50 a year for their membership to get good pizza and wander the samples for lunch when i'm in town lol.  I actually shop there maybe twice a year since it's mostly bulk and takes me that long to get through everything from the last trip.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, pugsly04 said:

Just going out on a limb here but I already thought it was John marathons wife! I k ow this is a little far fetched but when they talk about jack it kind of makes sense!

Especially, when she corners Arthur and tells him how important it is to spend time with Jack.  Usually, that is a thing a father wants to do and be a part of.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, YodaMan 3D said:

You really have experienced true marriage till you played the old, "What do you want for dinner" game.  You ask your wife what would she like for dinner.  She'll say I don't care.  You make a suggestion and she'll respond with she doesn't want that.  Then you point out she must care then.  She'll be like I don't care, till you suggest something else.  You can play this game all night.  Then if someone ask what you had for dinner, she'll be like "nothing, he couldn't decide on what he wanted."

Exactly why I have a "go-to" list of 5-10 places I know Mrs. Creed won't say "no" to.  It covers an array of cultural culinary options, and it's never failed.

Pro tip: always have your S.O.'s favorite desert option on the list.  I know that for Mrs. Creed, every so often, I'll be going to Dairy Queen for a Blizzard instead of an actual meal.  Which is fine with me because I pass the best tacos in town on the way back.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

Exactly why I have a "go-to" list of 5-10 places I know Mrs. Creed won't say "no" to.  It covers an array of cultural culinary options, and it's never failed.

Pro tip: always have your S.O.'s favorite desert option on the list.  I know that for Mrs. Creed, every so often, I'll be going to Dairy Queen for a Blizzard instead of an actual meal.  Which is fine with me because I pass the best tacos in town on the way back.

haha!  for my last girlfriend that was BK, when dinner couldn't be decided on she wanted the whopper junior.  Then i'd go to Arby's on the way back for good food.  I'd rather have mcdonalds over BK, but McD's was a hell no! on her list of places.  Probably why she's an X now :P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great topic, and fantastic post from the OP!  THIS POST CONTAINS SPOILERS!

I'm going to cover 2 things: the potential love interest, and the link between Arthur and John.

Having just completed the game, I can now view every thing in hindsight. 

For me, personally, I would always talk to Sadie in camp, hoping for some sort of romantic spark to happen.  It's plainly clear that for most of the game Sadie is grieving for her husband, and thus any romance would be extremely slow to blossom.  It just felt natural to me that Arthur would be attracted to her.  She's a good looking lady, with a fiery spirit, just the kind Arthur could respect, and desire.  He is one of the 3 who rescues her at the start of the game.  As the story progresses, Arthur and Sadie seem almost like a reflection of one another: tough, loyal, and willing to do bad things although with a higher moral code to try to do the right thing.  They seem "right" together, and eventually do a lot of missions as the gang splits, essentially replacing Dutch's role as the "honourable outlaws".  They work together closely, and as others have stated, Sadie is the only one who shows any real commitment to, and compassion for Arthur.

 

You can see plenty of scope for missing dialogue/scenes/missions, where Arthur and Sadie spend time together discussing the changing dynamics of the gang, planning how to move forward etc.  Obviously both are aware that Arthur is terminally ill, and this is a core feature of the overall story as Arthur strives for redemption in the face of his looming mortality.  It would be kinda messy trying to have a non sexual romance with a TB sufferer who is dying, and the potential for it to get awkward, and seem contrived is probably the reason it was left out - as well as potentially getting too "tugging on the heart strings", which wouldn't really fit with the overall game.

So for me, in terms of her inherent attractiveness, how I as a player felt it natural for him to like her and vice versa, her growing character which reflects that of Arthur, number of missions they do together, and her genuine compassion for Arthur, Sadie was definitely the love interest.

 

Charlotte: Arthur meets Charlotte when he is trying to make up for some of his wrongs, as he reflects on his life and comes to see that much of what he has done, with his misplaced loyalty to his gang (adopted family), has been evil.  Charlotte is vulnerable, and Arthur adopts an older brother/father type figure in giving her the tools and confidence she needs to survive on her own.  For me this was a self-contained redemption storyline and nothing more.

Eliza: During a dialogue option with Rain Falls, Arthur mentions that he had a son with a young woman, but also mentions that both were killed, so there is no possibility that she was the 2nd love.

 

Arthur, John, Abigail, and Jack - it's clear that Abigail was a working girl, as there is dialogue between Miss Grimshaw and Abigail in camp, where Abigail states that she will not work, because she "doesn't do that any more".  All of the girls (except maybe Mary Beth who is new to the gang) are working girls, and Grimshaw is clearly the madam.  Throughout this game, and RDR1, Abigail and John have a strained relationship.  There is little warmth between them, although it's pretty clear that John does love her - you always get this awkward sense between them, like something unspoken; the sort of post-affair type of relationship, where you're together but it will never be the same again.

@YodaMan 3Dmade an excellent observation, which I noticed at the time but had forgotten: when Abigail says to Arthur "you should really spend some time with Jack".  This is phrased in such a way as to imply, Arthur is the father and SHOULD spend some time with his son.  Almost as if he has a sense of duty to fulfil.  This would also make sense of why John left the gang for about a year: if he felt, or Abigail told him, that Jack was not his, he may have freaked out and needed to get away to clear his head.  

Jack doesn't really seem to like John, and although John does make an effort at times, again it's always awkward; like they both know somehow that John is not the dad (Jack subconsciously, John consciously), but they sort of get along with things because this is the situation they are in, so they just go along with it (much like Abigail and John).

John is clearly not that bright.  Both Arthur and Jack enjoy reading, and writing (Arthur keeps a detailed journal, picks up and can read books throughout the game, Jack always has his head buried in a book).  Jack seems more like Arthur, than John in this respect.

Finally, in the epilogue, Jack is reading a story about King Arthur, and John gives him the assumed name Lancelot to hide his true identity.  I just found that an interesting aside.

Thanks for reading, I enjoy discussions like this, cheers!

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, GMak81 said:

John is clearly not that bright.  Both Arthur and Jack enjoy reading, and writing (Arthur keeps a detailed journal, picks up and can read books throughout the game, Jack always has his head buried in a book).  Jack seems more like Arthur, than John in this respect.

Dutch raised both Arthur and John from orphans. They grew up together like brothers and Arthur watched over John like a big brother would.

I would think that Jack was attracted to Arthur like any kid would like their favorite uncle. The cool uncle that let them do stuff that their dad wouldn't allow them to do. The uncle that got them the best presents. The uncle that took them fishing. What kid doesn't push back on their old man. He's the guy that has to do all of the dirty work of raising a kid. John had no role model of his own and tried to do what he thought was the right way to raise a son. Johns idea of a good life was to have a farm and to teach the kid the value of hard work.....not sit around and daydream about knights and princes. John didn't discourage him from reading, he just wanted him to do his homework and chores first.

As far as Arthur banging on Abigail......that's a pretty chump thing to do to your brother. Arthur may have done a lot of foul things in his life but he was always loyal to his family.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, buttlint said:

Dutch raised both Arthur and John from orphans. They grew up together like brothers and Arthur watched over John like a big brother would.

I would think that Jack was attracted to Arthur like any kid would like their favorite uncle. The cool uncle that let them do stuff that their dad wouldn't allow them to do. The uncle that got them the best presents. The uncle that took them fishing. What kid doesn't push back on their old man. He's the guy that has to do all of the dirty work of raising a kid. John had no role model of his own and tried to do what he thought was the right way to raise a son. Johns idea of a good life was to have a farm and to teach the kid the value of hard work.....not sit around and daydream about knights and princes. John didn't discourage him from reading, he just wanted him to do his homework and chores first.

As far as Arthur banging on Abigail......that's a pretty chump thing to do to your brother. Arthur may have done a lot of foul things in his life but he was always loyal to his family.

Some families share everything.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, YodaMan 3D said:

Some families share everything.

my cousin's family sure did, the 4 middle kids anyway :P  7 siblings in that "good mormon" family lol

I agree with @buttlint though, i don't think Arthur was more than the favorite uncle.  Unlike my cousins, there's just some things you never do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...