Why does PvP players feel so strongly against PvE players having a freeroam experience?

YodaMan 3D

There's a simple solution to this that everyone is overlooking: coordinating a week of nothing but everyone being a total troll.  

Total and complete anarchy.  Just shoot/stab/blow up everything and anything that moves.  The game will devolve into a lawless wasteland, and trolls will get bored without having any "sitting ducks" to pick off or harass.

I'm kind of getting intrigued by the idea.....

23 minutes ago, Euphoric77 said:

Of course you are correct, but the "griefer" or "attacker" is not going after Online players to get xp. If you shoot 3 birds out of the sky and pluck them and bring them to the butcher you will make XP faster along with money compared to the fighting with other online players. You waste time, bullets, health, risk of costs for your horse etcetera. 

Again I wouldn't mind it giving no xp, however I think there should be other factors (e.g. honor playing a bigger role in game such as prices in store and visibility on the map). People want to have a fight to test skills / have a laugh shooting you in the back / want to troll you because they can. Not getting xp for it won't change it I am afraid.

Ammo is cheap and there alot more players out there to kill than birds.  But, you  are correct, they only do this because there isn't a penalty for it. If they made use of the honor system this wouldn't be an issue.

I suck at PvP so I welcome the idea of pve lobbies. I am not as young as I used to be and my reflexes are just not fast enough anymore. That being said, when I get killed while hunting and lose all my pelts and carcass which I spent a lot of time farming, I will then become the griefers griefers and will continue killing him until he leaves the server. 

If I can accomplish that, they are not true PvP players, they are just in it to ruin someone else's experience.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

There's a simple solution to this that everyone is overlooking: coordinating a week of nothing but everyone being a total troll.  

Total and complete anarchy.  Just shoot/stab/blow up everything and anything that moves.  The game will devolve into a lawless wasteland, and trolls will get bored without having any "sitting ducks" to pick off or harass.

I'm kind of getting intrigued by the idea.....

Oh, I know what this is! You've been able to sustain world peace because you have one night a year where you all run around robbing and murdering each other without consequence. I've been to a few planets with the same gimmick. You know, sometimes it's called the cleansing or the red time. There was this one world that called it just murder night. it's a purge. They're peaceful, and then, you know, they just purge. 

I'm no PVP pro but I do like it. I want to get better in it. It is a struggle, but hell I'm trying! I careless if there is a PVE only mode. I personally wouldn't enter that lobby because it would be extremely boring to me. I think that PVP factor in freeroam keeps you on your toes and I like that. NPCs present no challenge or real threat. Without PVP in free roam it will just become easy mode. I want to be challenged and tested and a PVE only lobby wouldn't do that. Mindless grinding with no real challenge is a drag for me. My posse and I actually hope people try to grief us during missions so that we can get the extra XP for killing them.  

On 1/9/2019 at 5:45 AM, Minimoni said:

I hate the online part of this game as it is at the moment, I have decided to not continue to play the online as it is. I would play if I could PVE with a group of friends and play missions together without other people shooting me all the time. This game is not mechanically made to be PvP, it is made purely to be PVE and that is why online feels so broken. 

You are a million times correct.  I posted in another griefer post wondering to myself what RDR2 Online is supposed to be.  I guess I never heard exactly what to expect from online, but it would be nice to know exactly what its supposed to be.  Is it a free roam area where you complete missions solo or in a posse?  It would seem shooting other players you see is a bad thing.  So, is there not PvP in Online at all?  I was in online for a few mins after I beat the campaign but haven't been in since.  Now I'm wondering if I should just wait.

• Like 1

Hi I am new to forum and I would like to say thanks for info on game from you folks.

I have one basic rule to gaming. You must have fun. I quit playing online in rdr2 because every time I play I end quiting within 15 minutes frustrated and angry at other people I don’t even know. That’s in violation of basic rule. I quit playing online around the time kids got out for Xmas break, go figure, and will not play online again until r* makes a place for us content players. Sadly it looks like around March now if at all. Too bad could be a good game.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Ragee503 said:

Sadly it looks like around March now if at all. Too bad could be a good game.

Was there a leaked about the March timeframe?  AFAIK there hasn't been any hard dates sets for upcoming updates yet and no mention so far of invite-only sessions (sadly).  Only "coming soon" features/changes and "more to come this year" with some specific and not so specific mentions.

I have the same rule to gaming.  .....if it ain't fun, it ain't worth playing.  We all have enough drama and angst in life.  I play games to relax.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kean_1 said:

Was there a leaked about the March timeframe?  AFAIK there hasn't been any hard dates sets for upcoming updates yet and no mention so far of invite-only sessions (sadly).  Only "coming soon" features/changes and "more to come this year" with some specific and not so specific mentions.

I have the same rule to gaming.  .....if it ain't fun, it ain't worth playing.  We all have enough drama and angst in life.  I play games to relax.

No sorry there wasn't a leak I was going off of the comment that we will be in beta for a couple more months.  Just an assumption on my part.

Just now, Ragee503 said:

No sorry there wasn't a leak I was going off of the comment that we will be in beta for a couple more months.  Just an assumption on my part.

Ahhh, ok.  .....it was "several" months btw.  ;)  We could be looking well past March until RDO is final.  I suspect a lot will depend on what issues they encounter as they begin to roll out new components to the game.

31 minutes ago, Kean_1 said:

Ahhh, ok.  .....it was "several" months btw.  ;)  We could be looking well past March until RDO is final.  I suspect a lot will depend on what issues they encounter as they begin to roll out new components to the game.

Great now not only did I get socks for Xmas but I can look forward to underwear for my birthday. Lol

• Haha 1

I am fine with PVP servers so long as people act respectively. This is hard to accomplish though when you have a game being played by 10 to 60-year-olds who all have different opinions on things and ways of playing. I got shot at the other day simply for not moving out of the way when someone was hunting. I was killed and lost a lot of stuff. Without warning I just hear someone say "fine don't move, I'll just kill you!" like how am I suppose to know I am in the way of something? 

15 minutes ago, LinXX said:

I am fine with PVP servers so long as people act respectively. This is hard to accomplish though when you have a game being played by 10 to 60-year-olds who all have different opinions on things and ways of playing. I got shot at the other day simply for not moving out of the way when someone was hunting. I was killed and lost a lot of stuff. Without warning I just hear someone say "fine don't move, I'll just kill you!" like how am I suppose to know I am in the way of something? 

I take it you were in a posse with randoms?  ......one reason I don't play with randoms.  ;)

To get yourself and your horse shot just while fishing doesn't seem like fun to me.  It can't be that hard to use one server for the hard core griefers and one for those who just want to have some fun, hunt, fish and fight against some AI  cowboys with some friends. Like others,  I play these games for fun and to relax and RDR2 online doesn't allow this. They sold the game on the free roam aspect, the hunting, fishing etc  and must have known that a lot of players were going online just  to cause grief and spoil others fun. Now all they've offered as an upgrade is a poor version of PUBG. (which I also suck at :) )

• Like 1

If the griefers enjoy killing and moan that we want more pve so they dont have targets, I ask them whats the problem with attacking other griefers why dont you do that. If you kill some one and that person rides away its obvious there not interested so move on to find others it aint hard look for blips moving erratically on map usually in towns,. Also why (if you enjoy the killing ) dont you go in the showdown series ? or is it there are better players and you cannot win ? 

• Like 1

On 1/12/2019 at 9:47 AM, chocolatefinch said:

To get yourself and your horse shot just while fishing doesn't seem like fun to me.  It can't be that hard to use one server for the hard core griefers and one for those who just want to have some fun, hunt, fish and fight against some AI  cowboys with some friends. Like others,  I play these games for fun and to relax and RDR2 online doesn't allow this. They sold the game on the free roam aspect, the hunting, fishing etc  and must have known that a lot of players were going online just  to cause grief and spoil others fun. Now all they've offered as an upgrade is a poor version of PUBG. (which I also suck at :) )

Thing is most people i know who prefure PVE are not as good at shootouts as the accomplished PVPer thus the griefer go for us because we are easy meat. 

Always the very good PVPers say ( git gud) well like everything in life some people abilities are better than others at certain things (or we would all be equal at everything) hence the not so good go for PVE and NPC fights as its more predictable also factor in age some ( quite a lot) are of the older generation in this game and health becomes an issue for example arthritis in your joints slows down your hand/finger co-ordination, and thats just one example.

Its not always a question of getting gud because so many factors can change/inhibit it 

Played it for the first time since xmas yesterday evening. Had been riding around hunting, was just entering my own camp when someone put a assassination notice on me for no reason and even though I was in my own camp with the white flag up , i was gunned down!!!  :)  (not hard to do, as I run round in circles trying to find the right gun to shoot back with usually and by the time I find one i'm dead)

Having said that, they did pm me and say sorry, it wasn't  meant for me.

Nice welcome back to the online game lol

42 minutes ago, Mark4407 said:

Thing is most people i know who prefure PVE are not as good at shootouts as the accomplished PVPer thus the griefer go for us because we are easy meat. 

Always the very good PVPers say ( git gud) well like everything in life some people abilities are better than others at certain things (or we would all be equal at everything) hence the not so good go for PVE and NPC fights as its more predictable also factor in age some ( quite a lot) are of the older generation in this game and health becomes an issue for example arthritis in your joints slows down your hand/finger co-ordination, and thats just one example.

Its not always a question of getting gud because so many factors can change/inhibit it 

Microsoft went out of their way this generation to construct special controllers for disabled gamers. 

So, along with the older generation (as you put it), there are gamers with various challenges playing this game. 

Getting good isn't one of the challenges I necessarily thought I'd have to face in this game. This game is rich with so much to do other than just blow one another away--especially when we spawn in or are lazily enjoying a fishing session.

I'm hoping that Rockstar at some point acknowledges they have a wide user base playing this game and accommodates that whole base with PvE servers or something similar to them. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, chocolatefinch said:

Played it for the first time since xmas yesterday evening. Had been riding around hunting, was just entering my own camp when someone put a assassination notice on me for no reason and even though I was in my own camp with the white flag up , i was gunned down!!!  :)  (not hard to do, as I run round in circles trying to find the right gun to shoot back with usually and by the time I find one i'm dead)

Having said that, they did pm me and say sorry, it wasn't  meant for me.

Nice welcome back to the online game lol

No one put the assassination on you, it’s a storyteller mission, player goes to storyteller and he assigns the nearest player to him and give the job to the player, basically it’s computer controlled and no specific person can be targeted..

iI don’t like these as a posse can be assigned to assassinate a single plaster and it can be rather unfair