Where's the BIG money?? (Story mode)

Cokeyskunk

Question

I get very little time to play weekly, so I'm STILL on my first play-through of the story mode. I'm already . . . 

Spoiler

. . . off the Cuban island and back to the main territory, and Dutch is talking about everyone going to New York.

But I'm constantly stuck at around $1500 - $2000. 

I HAVE HEARD there are certain (non-glitched) places where $10,000 or more is stashed. True??

I've tried robbing places and banks on my own, and the most I've come up with is a couple hundred. Knowing Rockstar, there's got to be at least a FEW places where you can find $5,000 or more stashed somewhere.

I tried looking up threads here, but didn't find any big discoveries that yielded more than a grand or so.

Any secrets you know about?

Danke,
- Skunk

28 answers to this question

@Cokeyskunk the treasure maps reward you with a few gold bars, but I've never heard of a 10k stash anywhere...

Unless there's something you REALLY want to buy, I wouldn't bother worrying about how much cash you have. Buy what you want, then forget about money. Get through the rest of the missions and you'll have plenty of cash for whatever else you want.

I personally wouldn't have bothered with the treasure maps if I didn't have the guide. I know I wouldn't have found them.

have you done the Poisonous Trail treasure?  that will get you 4 gold bars and other loot fairly quickly. 

I've not heard of any big cash like that other than the gold exploit.  If you're on Xbox it's not worth it, you only get 2 bars.  I've read PS4 players have gotten 30 or more bars,  that would ruin the game for me, i like being poor and having to earn cash to pay off bounties and such.  I did the exploit just to see and only got 2 bars, then had to restore a previous save and went back and just took the 1 bar.  

I'm playing the red hat though, so killing and looting, robbing, hunting, treasures, and missions has kept my coin pouch right around 3k since chapter 2, was much easier after getting the legend of the east satchel.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kormath said:

have you done the Poisonous Trail treasure?

So, I kept trying to haggle the price down for that map, and the guy basically said "Pi$$ on you" and rode off. I tried yelling at him to stop and even tried capping him, but I missed. So now, I fear that map is long gone.

9 minutes ago, Cokeyskunk said:

So, I kept trying to haggle the price down for that map, and the guy basically said "Pi$$ on you" and rode off. I tried yelling at him to stop and even tried capping him, but I missed. So now, I fear that map is long gone.

you might be thinking of a different one.  The first map is found at Cairn Lake.  There's also a derailed train car in a canyon up near Cotarra springs that is quite fun to get to.  you get a gold bar, some jewelry and a nugget or 2.

• Like 1

Once you get past the end of chapter 2, you have the guns you need to continue.  Beyond an achievement for buying stuff, there's not much need of stacks of cash in the game.

Work your way through the treasure hunter challenges and looting shacks, houses and you'll have more than you need.

39 minutes ago, Cokeyskunk said:

I think (as @Kormath mentioned) you're thinking of a different map.

The treasure hunter will show up again eventually. He can be found all over the map. I still get a tip pop-up that I should look out for people selling maps every once in a while, even though I already did it.

You can also just shoot him and get the map for free btw. No haggling necessary.

1 hour ago, Cokeyskunk said:

I get very little time to play weekly, so I'm STILL on my first play-through of the story mode. I'm already . . . 

Reveal hidden contents

. . . off the Cuban island and back to the main territory, and Dutch is talking about everyone going to New York.

But I'm constantly stuck at around $1500 - $2000. 

I HAVE HEARD there are certain (non-glitched) places where $10,000 or more is stashed. True??

I've tried robbing places and banks on my own, and the most I've come up with is a couple hundred. Knowing Rockstar, there's got to be at least a FEW places where you can find $5,000 or more stashed somewhere.

I tried looking up threads here, but didn't find any big discoveries that yielded more than a grand or so.

Any secrets you know about?

Danke,
- Skunk

Bro, you're actually further along than I am.

I just started Chapter IV two nights ago: 

Spoiler

RIP Sean.  I was just starting to like that guy.

But I'm consistently around $4-$5K, and that's after buying all the suits I could find.  Yes, I dress him like a lawman (The Nevada Hat really ties the whole thing together), and don't care how much everyone in camp rips on me.

I've finished about three or four of the challenges, and I've finished some of the treasure map side quests.  Those do a great deal to help, as does repeatedly mudering O'Driscolls and Lemyone Boys hideouts while looting everything that isn't bolted down (Legend of the East Satchel helps).  Some of the bigger jobs give you a nice little boost to the old bankroll, but I've probably made more from killing and looting than anything else.

For the quickest ROI, I'd say the treasure maps are your best bet.  Robbing people at gunpoint helps a bit too, as does robbing businesses.

What do you need that kind of money for anyways ? I felt its very unbalanced that after the first bank robbery I got all the money I need and dont have to do the jobs and rob folk anymore 😜 And miss Grimshaw giving out to me every morning that I never put in to the camp box thats stuck at 2k with everything upgraded lol.

I totaly randomly found a grave in the mountains containing like 1,500$ I think I have a screenshot of it if you want ?:)

On 1/13/2019 at 11:54 AM, LastUnicorn said:

What do you need that kind of money for anyways ? I felt its very unbalanced that after the first bank robbery I got all the money I need and dont have to do the jobs and rob folk anymore 😜 And miss Grimshaw giving out to me every morning that I never put in to the camp box thats stuck at 2k with everything upgraded lol.

I totaly randomly found a grave in the mountains containing like 1,500$ I think I have a screenshot of it if you want ?:)

Yes, please!

On 1/26/2019 at 6:33 PM, liquidfire said:

I never got over 3k and I was fickle with my money. I think the game is made this way to make there be a bit of a struggle to survive and make ends meet. 

doubt it.  I had almost 10k at one point in chapter 4, do all the treasure hunts and find the hidden gold nuggets and bars around the map.  then missions, i rarely bought ammo, collected it from the bodies.  You can make some good cash going on killing sprees also.  

Probably could have had more but i paid a bunch on bounties getting the red hat.

Edited by Kormath

On 1/11/2019 at 5:58 PM, Foxtrot said:

Once you get past the end of chapter 2, you have the guns you need to continue.  Beyond an achievement for buying stuff, there's not much need of stacks of cash in the game.

Work your way through the treasure hunter challenges and looting shacks, houses and you'll have more than you need.

Unless, like me you go a bit mad doing bandit challenges too early.  I can't afford to pay them off now and its getting tricky!! On second playthrough though so know I'll get more in a bit (if I can just avoid the swarms of feds!!!)

On 1/26/2019 at 7:52 AM, LastUnicorn said:

Just to let you guys know the grave is at my position in the picture not the marker :P

I was just peeking in here and noticed now its a bit messy ^^

I did find it. Thanks!

On 1/11/2019 at 12:22 PM, BropolloCreed79 said:

Bro, you're actually further along than I am.

I just started Chapter IV two nights ago: 

Have you finished yet?

1 hour ago, Cokeyskunk said:

Have you finished yet?

Not even out of Chapter IV yet.

I started playing online and got sidetracked by the side quests in the story mode.  Things really start to open up in Chapter IV--and so I've been muddling through everything at an almost glacial pace.

Really, it's the same issue that stalled me out during Chapter II.  I just keep getting distracted.  Eventually, I'll buckle down and grind through the story, but most of my challenges are more than half completed, and the little things continue to suck me in 

Spoiler

like killing the Vampire in St. Denis.  I used my viking hatchet.

I finally isolated the issue with my router that was contributing to disconnects and went deeeeeeeeeeep into the online rabbit hole over the last few weeks.

Then my basement flooded last Wednesday during an epic thaw/rain storm.  So I haven't even touched RDR's story mode apart from a few hours Wednesday night.  I'll get back to it this weekend most likely.  Trying to convince the wife that I don't need to go on the family ski trip to western NY (The Bro Show does not ski nor snowboard: I'm too old, too tall, and too anti-falling over and concussing myself) under the premise that I can stay behind and work in the basement before the rehab folks come in next week.

I'll hook up the projector and play on that in my bedroom if nobody else is around, with a cooler full of porter and stout at my side.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

Eventually, I'll buckle down and grind through the story, but most of my challenges are more than half completed, and the little things continue to suck me in 

That's what happened to me.  I got to the point where there was nothing left to do except story missions.  Now i'm finally in Epilogue 2 and i'm back finishing the challenges and stuff i couldn't get to in New Austin previously.

Damn Legendary Cougar has been well fed :D  Cougar 4, John 0 lol

3 minutes ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

I suppose Dynamite Arrows are out of the question, then.

Great idea, i didn't think of those!  i'll have to try them tonight.  You can't hurt a Legendary Pelt,  found that out when i accidentally shot the white bison a half dozen times with the Varmint Rifle, thinking i had the Springfield equipped.  Changed the look of them to tell them apart after that since they're almost always the 2 in my weapon wheel.

3 minutes ago, Kormath said:

Great idea, i didn't think of those!  i'll have to try them tonight.  You can't hurt a Legendary Pelt,  found that out when i accidentally shot the white bison a half dozen times with the Varmint Rifle, thinking i had the Springfield equipped.  Changed the look of them to tell them apart after that since they're almost always the 2 in my weapon wheel.

It may ruin the pelt completely.  A field test on a regular animal may be in order first.

I usually use my dynamite arrows on clusters of enemies (especially ones on horseback) so I can't be certain how well that would work.

Just now, BropolloCreed79 said:

It may ruin the pelt completely.  A field test on a regular animal may be in order first.

I usually use my dynamite arrows on clusters of enemies (especially ones on horseback) so I can't be certain how well that would work.

Exploding rifle rounds are great for bounty hunters :D  head shot and they become the headless horsemen.  Tried them on a pack of wolves once by accident also, shortly after taking out the bounty hunter group.  killed 2 wolves with 1 shot, hides were scrap though.  So yeah maybe the dynamite arrow will be a bit much, but hella fun to find out!

I had $8400 in Chapter 6, and I never robbed a store, train, person, or house, the money is everywhere.

I did a lot of hunting and worked towards satchels and I sold anything I didnt need, I looted every body I could in every mission, I did the treasure hunts, and found several others, well loot spots, etc.. anyway without any robbing at all, I was up to $8400 I think I have two treasure hunts still to do, all the robberies, and whatever else.

Sadly this game is time consuming, I say sadly only if you dont have a lot of time to play, its every bit as fun but will take a while, and sometimes leaving and coming back can make you forget organic encounters that might have happened.

Make sure to talk to everyone you come across everywhere you do, it will lead to lots of other side stuff that pays well.