Whats the point of New Austin ?

LastUnicorn

So i finished the epilogue and I am about to run out of strangers too, but the game course never once took me to New Austin, I went over there for a stroll recently and the place does exist and has some backstory going on there but there arent any kind of mission out there, does anyone know why rockstar made a whole state and then left it out whats the plan for it ?:P

Depends on what you mean by waste of space. For me the mission bits, where you shoot shoot shoot, they tell a good story, but if they weren't set in the beauty and detail of the awesome RDR2 world they would be like any other shootin game I see people mention on here. Many of the 20 million people in this world are here to sniff the flowers too y'know, and New Austin, while being far from my favourite state, has flowers of its own. From the anxiety-driven deathhole that is Tumbleweed to the empty solitude down by the San Luis River, to the deep dark stickyness of Thieves' Landing, there's plenty of very unwasted space down there... It's just a pity that Arthur can't get to see it...

Turning Armadillo into a cholera ravaged ghost town was not a good idea. New Austin lacks a decent social hub like Saint Denis or Valentine and Blackwater. The whole state seems empty. I'm hoping that long term there is a point to this creative decision. 

• Like 2

Armadillo is definitely a disappointment. When I spawn into New Austin, which seems every second time I spawn, my first mission is to get back to civilisation, I'm not saying I want to BE there, just that it's not entirely wasted, I enjoy the memories of what Armadillo is like *after* this...

11 hours ago, dredd1961 said:

Turning Armadillo into a cholera ravaged ghost town was not a good idea. New Austin lacks a decent social hub like Saint Denis or Valentine and Blackwater. The whole state seems empty. I'm hoping that long term there is a point to this creative decision. 

you're all forgetting this was set 12 years before RDR, seems to me Armadillo made a decent recovery after the cholera epidemic.

13 hours ago, Kormath said:

you're all forgetting this was set 12 years before RDR, seems to me Armadillo made a decent recovery after the cholera epidemic.

Doesn't help game play though, does it? What is the point? Is there a  DLC coming, featuring the mysterious man in black's role in what happened in Armadillo, for example.

Online it is, just wasted space. Boarded up buildings with a pall of black smoke hanging over them. 

Edited by dredd1961

9 hours ago, dredd1961 said:

Doesn't help game play though, does it? What is the point? Is there a  DLC coming, featuring the mysterious man in black's role in what happened in Armadillo, for example.

Online it is, just wasted space. Boarded up buildings with a pall of black smoke hanging over them. 

Online is still in beta.  New Austin is a whole open map they can do anything (almost) they want with.  I thought it was fun to ride around and remember things from RDR.  i don't recall the small lake in the south though, is that new?

Mmmm yes this beta is going to last, for several months. This is a first for a console game? In the two months of this "beta's" existence so far. RS have added just two new things to online. Microtransactions and a broken PVP game that no one asked for lol.  

18 hours ago, Kormath said:

Online is still in beta.  New Austin is a whole open map they can do anything (almost) they want with.  I thought it was fun to ride around and remember things from RDR.  i don't recall the small lake in the south though, is that new?

The small lake was in RDR 2010. 

5 minutes ago, Dman said:

Hi please could you help me I just bought rd2 for 59 £ on the PS4 store and its only letting me play beta can you help me to get on the online game many thanks

Hi Dman,

Please refer back your post in the Q&A section.  I have provided your answer.  Also, please refrain from double posting or spamming other peoples threads with unrelated questions. I closed your other duplicate thread.

- Kean 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, riptide87 said:

They will likely expand the game in that region be it online only or DLC stories. This is what I am assuming anyways.

Unfortunately I think you are correct. Do not get me wrong here, I have nothing against expanding multiplayer even if I am not playing it myself but I would also like that area more fleshed out for single player. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/27/2019 at 8:21 AM, LastUnicorn said:

So i finished the epilogue and I am about to run out of strangers too, but the game course never once took me to New Austin, I went over there for a stroll recently and the place does exist and has some backstory going on there but there arent any kind of mission out there, does anyone know why rockstar made a whole state and then left it out whats the plan for it ?:P

Without going into any detail, a bounty hunting mission with Sadie briefly takes you down into Hennigan's Stead.