Barely Anyone Is Finishing Red Dead Redemption 2

NewsBot

Have you finished Red Dead Redemption 2's storyline?

It's a massive game filled to the brim with content, and it's easy to get lost in all of the opportunities, so it's understandable that some players might go off exploring and end up tangled in side-activities for long stretches of time. You might also have very little free time to dedicate to gaming.

Nonetheless, if you have finished the story, you are part of a very small minority.

Writing for GameRevolution, Tyler Treese compared some statistics on a couple of PlayStation 4 games that were recently released. These games all award players an achievement when they complete the storyline, and you can view what percentage of players have unlocked any given achievement, making it easy to track stats on who finished these titles.

RDR-2-Horseback-Shooting-800x543.jpg

Only a mere 22% of players have seen the storyline of Red Dead Redemption 2 through to its end, even though the game has been out for 3 months now. This doesn't mean 100% completion either, just going through the story.

None of the side activities are required here, only the main mission. The storyline depicting the early exploits of the Van Der Linde Gang before it fell apart was a major draw of this game, so it's surprising to us that so few players care to complete it.

This goes to show that when you fill your game to the brim with content, many players might just burn out. Typically it is considered that the more the content the better the game because you get more value, and if the game is great, then having more of it to play should be good right?

However, many folks who need to juggle gaming with work, social obligations, other hobbies, studying and so on aren't left with much time, and 30-40 hour investments seem major, let alone over 100-hour playthroughs the likes of which a massive open-world game like Red Dead Redemption 2 demands.

RDO-Weapons-800x450.jpg

It's also true that Red Dead Redemption 2 ended up selling vastly more copies than Red Dead Redemption, so a large chunk of players may have bought the game just to mess around in an exciting Wild West sandbox, without much care for the characters and storyline.

If you haven't finished Red Dead Redemption 2, do you intend to at all? We'd like to hear your input on the forums.

The post Barely Anyone Is Finishing Red Dead Redemption 2 appeared first on RDR2.org.

Read the full story

27 minutes ago, Foxtrot said:

I think it’s largely because people move off story mode and get more into the online modes, something that this news story has somehow not mentioned at all...

agreed.  i think they came out with Online too early.

I finished the story, working on the epilogue now, but i need cash so i'm grinding away instead of doing missions to finish the epilogue.  Once i get the cash built up for what i want i'll "finish the game".

• Confused 1

I was fortunate enough to finish the story before online released. So the temptation simply wasn't there. Even if it was though, i'd still finish the story. Its easily one of the most skillfully told narratives i've ever experienced, if not the most. I've never seen a story weaved together and completed quite like this. Incredible.

Also, its definitely in people's best interest to finish the single player story line BEFORE going into multiplayer, that way, the order in which things are exposed to you as a player are succinct and make sense. For those not new to the RDR universe, its one hell of a ride. Will be hard to top for quite some time.

Edited by BornDefiant
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, BornDefiant said:

I was fortunate enough to finish the story before online released. So the temptation simply wasn't there. Even if it was though, i'd still finish the story. Its easily one of the most skillfully told narratives i've ever experienced, if not the most. I've never seen a story weaved together and completed quite like this. Incredible.

its true, I had to to take my time and immerse myself into the story and being Arthur. Ive never been so captured by a game. It actually poses philosophical questions for me about immersion taken to its highest levels. Westworld style. 

It was a really interesting moment in time when RDR2 released. People bought it not only for the Story but also for online even though it wasnt released yet. Entire friends lists were filled with players on RDR2 (even in party chat together) in mostly total silence. Xbox became like a quiet library of people embracing the RDR2 singleplayer. I cant think of any other major titles that released during the same time, most likely getting out of the way of this long anticipated titan of a game from R* .. and when it finally arrived it wasnt some huge multiplayer party but just peaceful and (somewhat) silent awe. 

And for the record I don't buy into people saying its too immersive or packed with too much content. This is what innovation at the highest level looks like from and industry giant with a long history of successful games, period. R* did not dissapoint, enjoy it.

@NewsBot

• Like 2

I specifically purchased a PS4 to play this game. I waited 7 freaking years for its release. RDR was the benchmark that I measured all other games against. Fanboy deluxe. I slow played it thru Chapter 6 and enjoyed almost every minute of it. The first epilogue was just cleaning things up. The second epilogue was just a recap of RDR1 and it really doesn't matter to me if  finish it or not. I am not a completionist or a trophy whore. Unless they come up with an exceptional online version, I am done. I'm not going to pay to be a beta-rat. I guess that puts me in the "did not finish the game" slot.

Edited by buttlint
  • Like 2

There  are several parts of the game that probably piss players off to the point of just quitting....

Spoiler

First is the ill conceived chapter 5 bit where all of your hard earned items , cash etc,,, is taken away,  I know several players who quit here and went back to side missions.

2nd is is when Arthur is diagnosed, having to play "dying Arthur"  for a chapter and a half is not fun. 

3rd is all the tutorial like missions John gets in the Epilogue, shovel sh*t?  milk the cows? Really? 

RDRO is such a disappointment I can't believe anyone is playing there instead of finishing the story.

Edited by Hammer
  • Like 1

Honestly, this game is the whole reason I bought a ps4. I’m not finished... yet. But I’m working on it as I have time. I started online as well. I find it’s much easier to spend just an hour or two playing around online than in story mode. In story, I loose all track of time and spend hours on end planted in the couch (sometimes without even getting to that next story mission I was planning on getting to).

im also not a daily player. I’m a grown up man with a full time job, wife and children, a house, yard and several vehicles to maintain... and of course other hobbies. I wouldn’t be surprised if story mode lasts me well into spring. So far, I’m loving every second of story mode.

Online, well, it’s fun. But people are di*ks... I mean I can get you want the easy kill, but can’t you wait just a few seconds more and blow my head of after I leave the butcher? You’ll still get your kill and everyone else would be much less annoyed. 

• Like 1

I'm really surprised at that 22% figure, but only because I found the story so engrossing I couldn't stop. It wasn't an immediate hook, I was more entranced by the world to begin with, the weather, the scenery, the sounds, and I remember being distracted by Fallout 76 for all of 5 minutes a couple of weeks after RDR2 release, but when I got into it, I couldn't stop, and ended up a soggy crumpled heap on the floor in front of the screen by the climax. Never had that amount of investment in a game before, or a movie come to think of it. Then, just as I finished the Epilogues,  Online opened, so that kept me amused for a bit, now I'm back with Arthur and I just got my hunting skills to the point where I'm never away from the Trapper and I look fabulous!

But I'm lucky, I retired just in time, I think it would be difficult to play this game through AND have a normal life. I'm settling in for the long run.

16 hours ago, buttlint said:

I specifically purchased a PS4 to play this game. I waited 7 freaking years for its release. RDR was the benchmark that I measured all other games against. Fanboy deluxe. I slow played it thru Chapter 6 and enjoyed almost every minute of it. The first epilogue was just cleaning things up. The second epilogue was just a recap of RDR1 and it really doesn't matter to me if  finish it or not. I am not a completionist or a trophy whore. Unless they come up with an exceptional online version, I am done. I'm not going to pay to be a beta-rat. I guess that puts me in the "did not finish the game" slot.

Just curious, when you say Fanboy Deluxe did that include being a huge fan of RD1 Online? 

I understand that you dont want to set yourself up for disappointment in online now, as there are a lot of raging complainers out there. I say to them, they aren't true supportive fans, and rockstar has earned some respite. To be fair there are a decent amount of bugs. But RDO is presenting something entirely separate from the main story. And it really still is a part of the game in its entirety whether we like it or not. 

Because I too am a huge fan, I would hate to see someone like you miss out on what RDO has to offer. Simply put, the most important draws of RDO are that you create your own character and are inserted into the same beautiful world on your own. You also get to see how RDO will grow. 

Money is much harder to come by and you realize that youre not some elite highly wanted bank robber like Arthur. Although partly because of new level caps which i dont mind, things like hunting/fishing, treasure maps, and your weapons/equipment have an added weight to them that was missing from the story. And one of the Best parts is how missions work with other players interacting, my first day I was blown away by the flexibility of the new content while still immersed. There are new perks and abilities with dead eye (no slo mo) and a main storyline. 

Wait for bugs to be ironed out if you want, but give it a chance, its still a part of RDR2. (and definitely finish the epilogue until credits roll). 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hammer said:

There  are several parts of the game that probably piss players off to the point of just quitting....

Hide contents

First is the ill conceived chapter 5 bit where all of your hard earned items , cash etc,,, is taken away,  I know several players who quit here and went back to side missions.

2nd is is when Arthur is diagnosed, having to play "dying Arthur"  for a chapter and a half is not fun. 

3rd is all the tutorial like missions John gets in the Epilogue, shovel sh*t?  milk the cows? Really? 

Im sorry but to whoever you quoted. they definitely aren't gamers, more of a bandwagoner imo.

1st if they actually continued to play the story you actually get all your items back.

2nd It actually makes you feel desperate for a well liked character and you hope for a cure and wonder if at any moment he will drop dead or not. I personally was hoping there was some sort of cure. looked hopeful when rainfalls comes into play. (I guess a slight spoiler but if you're on RDO instead of playing the story then that's what happens)

3rd Yes its showing you that John was actually trying to be a law abiding man, and had to follow the rules and work humble jobs, not just getting in there and owning everything, pfft do you people lack imagination or understanding?? what you expected to be a billionaire after you literally lost everything John even mentions that they were robbed on the road.

I'm all for bashing Rockstar for their current Online (im one of the few that thinks they started off horribly) but their single player was amazing, and was so damn good that I wish it kept going. I definitely believe it was one of the best falling at the top of the line with gears, halo, Last of Us and Detroit Become Human (best game ever story wise)

I honestly hope people reconsider their choices and come back to rdr2's story not even to rdo, to finish it rather than hoping on their shooting games where they do the same repetitive shoot and kill they do in any game.

Edited by Born Homicidal
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Born Vigorous said:

Just curious, when you say Fanboy Deluxe did that include being a huge fan of RD1 Online? 

I was a big fan of RDR1 Poker lobby but none of the other aspects of online play. After several months of that, it went downhill pretty quickly. What started out as adult fun turned into teaching obnoxious 12 year olds what beats what.

I am an old. When I started gaming, high speed connections were rare and sporadic. If 10 people were dumped into map, 5 might have 56k modems, some might have 1mbs dsl and others would have 3mbs cable connections. Guess who got their asses kicked? Mix in some lag switches and just bad game programming and you had a recipe for garbage. I just learned to live without online gaming.

I kicked on my PS3 for giggles and saw that RDRonline was still a thing. I played a couple of games of poker with one other person. Then I stood around for waiting for a new game to start, which never happened. The game is still free to play and Sony doesnt get its 10 buck a month cut. Nothing pi$$es an old man off more than paying for nothing. When gaming companies started selling "beta" as products, old guys clinched their fists and shook them toward the sky! Beta used to mean, "Play a free game so we can work the bugs out." Now it means, "Play a buggy game and make us some gold bars. And if you dont like this.....go play Fallout 76".

I follow the online forum also. When I see that R* has added some features and completed making the game, I will give it a look. Of course, everyone else will be at level 743 and I will be at level 1, so maybe not.

• Like 1

I finished the story a week after the game was released.  It would have been quicker had it not been for those pesky distractions in real life.  It's rare for me to finish a game, but RDR is on a whole other level.  Most of my time is spent trying to get 100% completion now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Born Homicidal said:

Im sorry but to whoever you quoted. they definitely aren't gamers, more of a bandwagoner imo.

We'll agree to disagree,  While I enjoyed the main story missions, the main narrative is the worse part of the game. We begin the game as a member of an outlaw gang who realizes their way of life is dying yet inexplicably continue to migrate EAST closer to big cities and civilization!

RDR2 is a beautifully created sandbox with hours of interactive fun waiting for you explore, but it shouldn't be a surprise that only 1 in 5 players takes the time to complete the main story,   it's just bad storytelling.

0_02.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished Epilogue 2 yesterday and now I am off to the blocked out New Austin. I don't play more than an hour or 2 at any time and just enjoyed all that can be done ingame. Not really impressed too much with online beta but after exploring the "new" map, I may give more time to online play.

I couldn't tell you what level I am and could not care less as I don't play any games for the stats/standings "anymore".

• 2 weeks later...

I got the game for Christmas. I wasn't even sure I wanted it, but mates said I'd love the game.

I started to play the single player and completed chapter 2. I've done 1 maybe 2 missions on chapter 3.

I hit level 30 online late Sunday night. I basically been looking forward to the legendary fishing. So been grinding stranger missions to get there. 

Im hoping to go back to the story at the weekend. If I can stay off the online multi. 

I'm trying to find Jeremy Gill (for obvious reasons). Just need to get to him as I can't find him on the map as most of it is blacked out but every way I go I'm killed by lawmen. I have bounties everywhere. 

I am going to finish the story as so far its been really good. Its just gonna take a while. 

I feel everything is about multi player nowadays. Most games put everything into the online. But this game does have both. That's probably why I'm not rushing myself to finish single player.  Hopefully taking my time won't come back and bite me in the arse by r* bringing out some paid storyline dlc. 

i think its because i already seen all the endings on youtube, i m currently in epilogue 2 and not motivated in finishing, cause i already now how it ends, i m more interested in experimenting, such as: do u know that if u have zero money when trying to find bronte in the bar in chapter 4, you can still order 2 whiskery,   

Ive played it all the way through 3 times, this last time I still have a lot to do as John,,but I did a lot as Arthur,, all dino bones, rock carvings, dream catchers, legendary animals and fish, Algernon Wasp, all side missions, chance encounters, stranger missions, I only did one hunter request, and about half the challenges, anything that would lower honor I left for John to do, and I still have yet to do them, but I must have 200 hours in this play through at least, Ill check later, and my previous play throughs werent as long.

Ill keep going with this playthrough until I have done everything, seen everything accomplished everything I can.

I love the game, this is exactly why I bought an Xbox one X to see native 4k graphics at 30 fps and up, and this game was it, the first time I really got to see this console put to the test, and it is amazing!!!

The only reason I never finished the main story is because RDO released before I got to that point.  I'll wager many were in the same boat.  I will finish it one day but all of the other analysis in this story is pure assumption IMO. 

Personally, I think a lot of these "Debbie Downer" perspectives in articles about RDR2/RDO, YT videos, etc. are more about aggrandizing or sensationalizing issues rather than looking at them objectively.  ......but I guess that would be boring and not really newsworthy to some.  

I FINISHED!!

Took a lot to push through the 2nd episode and finish the story.  Still have a few things to do for 100% complete, but the legendary fish glitched on me so that won't be possible without going back to the beginning of Epilogue 2.  And as I had to force myself to play the game to finish the story, i don't see me coming back to replay the epilogue any time soon. 

Rock bass i caught, it's marked on the map, but i died on the way to mail it in and lost the fish.  It's not at the mail waiting to be mailed, I can't catch it again, i spent over an hour probably total going back at the peak times/weather to catch it and it's not there.  Got it on the first bite at the start of Epilogue 2.

So i'm done, 92.7% i think it was complete. 

4 hours ago, Cliffs said:

How many of you completionists have played the game without looking at any guides or youtube videos?

I can check the box for "ignored youtube" i hate youtube.

I didn't read the guide or online guides for any of the missions, i used online guides for the extra stuff, dino bone locations, hunting spots, etc.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2019 at 4:43 PM, Kormath said:

I can check the box for "ignored youtube" i hate youtube.

I didn't read the guide or online guides for any of the missions, i used online guides for the extra stuff, dino bone locations, hunting spots, etc.

I did exactly the same. There is no realistic way to find all the dream catchers and/or dinosaur bones without some kind of map or guide. I am playing through the game for the fourth time and I am still finding small details in new conversations or such all the time. As I do not play online, the story mode is my go to game when I am not exploring the console version of Stellaris. 

On 2/1/2019 at 9:20 PM, Hammer said:

We'll agree to disagree,  While I enjoyed the main story missions, the main narrative is the worse part of the game. We begin the game as a member of an outlaw gang who realizes their way of life is dying yet inexplicably continue to migrate EAST closer to big cities and civilization!

RDR2 is a beautifully created sandbox with hours of interactive fun waiting for you explore, but it shouldn't be a surprise that only 1 in 5 players takes the time to complete the main story,   it's just bad storytelling.

0_02.jpg

I completely agree with you well said, I found the storyline to be highly disappointing and side quests and hunting to be much more enjoyable I did not appreciate being forced into the missions to unlock things that I wanted to do and at the same time the missions adding restrictions so I could no longer do the things I wanted to do... 

Spoiler

(I lost complete connection and interest in my character after the diagnosis because there was not a cure available at that time.) 

Edited by Dewy1314
Spoiler tag added
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

The entire reason I never finished the story was because (bit of a spoiler here) I got tired of hearing the guy coughing constantly. That's just not fun, in my opinion. It got old really fast.

• 2 weeks later...

I started the game more then 1 year from now (with a pause of 4 months).
I just finished the main story and I am now in Epilogue 1. I did I think all side missions, collected all sigarette cards, have discovered all plants and the compendium of all animals is ready for 98%. I just missed the few animals in Guarma and while I know how to get to Guarma I am not able to return to the main land.
I'm will still look for all weapons and other items.
I refuse to play online until I have completed the game offline for the fully 100%.