How do I get perfect pelt when hunting.

SnailZ321

Question

7 answers to this question

SIGHTING-IN: First, using your binoculars or gunsite determine if the target has one two or three stars.

TAKING THE SHOT:  For an alligator you need a powerful rifle and you need to shoot the 3 star alligator in the eye or between the eyes.  For a 3-star rabbit,  and other small critters and pelicans Etc, you're going to need a varmint rifle.  You might need a scope but a Lancaster repeater can easily take down an alligator without special ammo. 

If you find a cluster of animals, deer or bison for example, get your weapons and get off your horse,  crouch and try to conceal yourself. If your horse is following you it will alert the animals and they will run off. 

Edited by Major Dammidge
Addional comment
  • Like 1

Yeah you want to essential hunt like you would IRL back then. You want to observe what you are hunting, use your horse to get close enough to lasso it, and then knife it in the sweet spot. This keeps the pelt in great condition. 

Essentially what the Major said.  

Personally, if I'm trying to farm a 3 star pelt (after finding one using a scope, binoculars, etc.) I like to use a good, powerful rifle and ammo if available just to make sure one shot will do the job.  At that point all that is required is a well placed headshot and the deed is done. 

I don't try to overthink it.  I ride on my horse until I see a heard (from a distance) and then search for a 3 star and go to work.  Most times I never even find the need to dismount.

@SnailZ321 Lesson II: Birds - with your varmint rifle go to the gator islands just north of Saint Denis. When you see two birds standing next to each other, fire a shot at the ground right between them. There is more credit for killing birds who are in the air. As soon as they have cleared the ground from your warning shot, nail them bothc😁👌

Dunno if it will help or is too obvious to state but while aiming the info option R1 will appear and indicate what weapon is required to maintain that pelts condition. Handy as it is not always logical what's best to use.

Edited by Traks1