The Great Griefer Thread

Reyes

1 hour ago, YodaMan 3D said:

As for outrunning them, if their horses are faster then yours, which usually that is one thing they upgrade and they generally run in a Posse.  It isn't hard for them to catch you.

I have been crouching in cover and had players travel from town straight to me.  So I ain't positive that crouching always works.  As far as how many griefers you see really depends on the servers you have access to.  Usually the region you are in will put you into the same area of griefers.  It is funny, I play some in the morning and some at night.  The players in the morning have always been out to grief.  You spawn in and you can check the map, they will have already started heading your direction.  Meanwhile at night, I have seen players move away once I have spawned in and won't bug me the whole time I am playing unless I initiate something.  

You are right, you can take precautions to a point, yet you can't avoid it.  Running off to another server or running to the farthest point on the map.  It doesn't help every time griefers will grief as much as possible.  As far as always joining a posse, unless you have friends on all the time, randoms seem to only worry about themselves and don't give 2 cents about a group agenda.  

I upgraded my horse already to an Arabian so that helps but even so, I was holding my own with the Kentucky Saddler(?) I was given free during the tutorial mission.  Again, the key is keeping distance and using the terrain to slow them down.

Unfortunately, there is nothing (at least that I could find) from R* to describe various mechanics in this game.  It is my understanding that when crouching in free roam (you'll see your icon turn grey) does keep your player icon off the radar.  ......maybe I'll experiment a bit with a friend this weekend.  It has seemed to work for me even when trolls try to make a B line for our position.  As soon as I crouch, I move as far as possible (staying crouched) from the spot I first crouched.  If it does work a they say, that would be the last spot on the map they would have seen you.  My friends and I would take up cross fire positions and wait for the enemy to come.  They never seemed to know exactly where we were as long as we were concealed.

Sorry you're having such a tough go of it.  If you were on PS4 I'd suggest we get together to help each other out.  .....but according to a certain someone, all you have to do is report these guys and MS will ban them all.  Problem solved, right?  ;) 

36 minutes ago, Kean_1 said:

I upgraded my horse already to an Arabian so that helps but even so, I was holding my own with the Kentucky Saddler(?) I was given free during the tutorial mission.  Again, the key is keeping distance and using the terrain to slow them down.

Unfortunately, there is nothing (at least that I could find) from R* to describe various mechanics in this game.  It is my understanding that when crouching in free roam (you'll see your icon turn grey) does keep your player icon off the radar.  ......maybe I'll experiment a bit with a friend this weekend.  It has seemed to work for me even when trolls try to make a B line for our position.  As soon as I crouch, I move as far as possible (staying crouched) from the spot I first crouched.  If it does work a they say, that would be the last spot on the map they would have seen you.  My friends and I would take up cross fire positions and wait for the enemy to come.  They never seemed to know exactly where we were as long as we were concealed.

Sorry you're having such a tough go of it.  If you were on PS4 I'd suggest we get together to help each other out.  .....but according to a certain someone, all you have to do is report these guys and MS will ban them all.  Problem solved, right?  ;) 

To me some don't understand what a lengthy process banning a player can take.

I will stand corrected, for those who work for Microsoft, Sony, or Rockstar.  I am sure the banning process can be expediated and players banned on a whim.  For those of us who don't have those connections.  We have to suffer for a spell till they do their jobs.

Edited by YodaMan 3D

39 minutes ago, Kean_1 said:

Unfortunately, there is nothing (at least that I could find) from R* to describe various mechanics in this game.  It is my understanding that when crouching in free roam (you'll see your icon turn grey) does keep your player icon off the radar.  ......maybe I'll experiment a bit with a friend this weekend.  It has seemed to work for me even when trolls try to make a B line for our position. 

Doesn't work in free roam.

In free roam you're kind of stuck dealing with the pests.

I still don't know why people bother reporting players.   Its R* fault, not the trolls.

2 minutes ago, YodaMan 3D said:

To me some don't understand what a lengthy process banning a player can take.

I will stand corrected, for those who work for Microsoft, Sony, or Rockstar.  I am sure the banning process can be expediated and players banned on a whim.  For those of us who don't have those connections.  We have to suffer for a spell till they do their jobs.

Not only the process but also the fact that people are playing the game as designed (like you mentioned before). 

We can all agree many of these actions are griefing / trolling, but the game is made to allow and even encourage this style of play.  There are no rules preventing playes in RDO from killing other players on a whim.  There are no rules saying they can't lasso us, hogtie us, stalk us, ambush us, etc.  It's all part of the gameplay R* allows in Free Roam.  I just can't believe that someone can be or would be banned for simply playing the game as designed (essentially a griefers paradise at the moment).

In all honesty, I don't blame the trolls as much as I do R* for the frustration many are experiencing with these types of folks. 

Now if trolls are using exploits or hacks to accomplish their deeds, that's a whole different story.  That's a bannable offense but even then (as you pointed out) it doesn't usually mean they will be banned on the spot or even at all.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HuDawg said:

I still don't know why people bother reporting players.   Its R* fault, not the trolls.

Really?  It seemed to for me on a couple of different occasions.  Also, the icon will still turn grey to indicate when your "supposedly" concealed from others on the map.  

1 hour ago, HuDawg said:

Trolls don't have to be trolls, they choose to be.  That is why I don't completely blame Rockstar.  

• Like 3

21 hours ago, YodaMan 3D said:

Trolls don't have to be trolls, they choose to be.  That is why I don't completely blame Rockstar.  

Ya but its R* that gives the trolls the tools needed to easily be di*ks with.

I mean i don't work for R*.  But it doesn't take a genius to see that always on blips and auto aim is meat grinding made easy.

Just look at GTA O.   Its clear R* likes trolls because it it hinders it screws over players trying to make money and hopefully pushes them towards cash cards.

And in RD O.   You got missions, for example the Bonnie Missions.. one is find and hunt the bear.   So after tracking it down and killing it, the game decides to show everyone on the map you got a bear pelt and encourages people to come and get it...  When it should NOT show anyone anything because its none their business.

Edited by HuDawg
  • Like 1

On 12/11/2018 at 11:12 AM, DLKnives said:

A lot of good advice here but you CAN report them. I had a guy tonight make the game unplayable, just kept coming after me so I kept killing him with the pump. I get to my camp and he's all over it waiting for me to leave. I hit "report" to see what could be reported and "disruptive behavior" that makes it impossible to play your way is a reportable thing. I can't remember ever reporting somebody but I did report him and quit. He even sent a message "step out and you get it". That's the first problem I've had since Saturday.

Now, I think that's way beyond acceptable. Sending personal messages is bang out of order.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HuDawg said:

Ya but its R* that gives the trolls the tools needed to easily be di*ks with.

I mean i don't work for R*.  But it doesn't take a genius to see that always on blips and auto aim is meat grinding made easy.

Just look at GTA O.   Its clear R* likes trolls because it it hinders it screws over players trying to make money and hopefully pushes them towards cash cards.

And in RD O.   You got missions, for example the Bonnie Missions.. one is find and hunt the bear.   So after tracking it down and killing it, the game decides to show everyone on the map you got a bear pelt and encourages people to come and get it...  When it should NOT show anyone anything because its none their business.

A few years back I had 2 friends.  1st one was dating a girl, things was going well.  He was on the verge of proposing.  Had the ring and everything.  2nd guy a bachleor for life kind of guy.  So the night that the 1st guy decided to propose, he asked us all to join the 2 of them out for dinner, drinks, and dancing afterwards.  So we got my 2 buddies, the girlfriend, a friend of hers, my wife and I.  Now the 1st guy doesn't dance, but the 2nd guy did.  So he danced with the other girls and as the night went on, he focused his attention on my friend's girl.  Now the 1st guy wasn't given a chance to make his proposal cause the 2nd guy kept the girl distracted.  Her friend wasn't happy and asked if someone could take her home.  So the 1st guy said he could and he would be right back.  By the time he returned the other 2 had slept together.   The 2nd guy know how the 1st guy felt.  He didn't have to pursue this girl, he did.  She allowed it to happen.  In the end the 2 guys hate each other.  She has nothing to do with either.  Yet, when the 2nd guy and I talked about it.  His excuse was it was an accident.  Nothing about his actions was an accident.  For whatever reason he did it on purpose and he could have avoided it all together.  Trolling is the same.  They don't have to.  They know better, but choose too.  Rockstar has opened the door, but how a person plays the game, is completely on them.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, YodaMan 3D said:

.  Rockstar has opened the door, but how a person plays the game, is completely on them.

R* is to blame because they allow it to happen so easily.  This is their game and they are in direct control of it.

This game.. Just like GTA O.  Encourages players to be assholes.

6 hours ago, HuDawg said:

R* is to blame because they allow it to happen so easily.  This is their game and they are in direct control of it.

This game.. Just like GTA O.  Encourages players to be assholes.

You can't blame them entirely here. They want the game to be open for people to enjoy, as open as possible. Just because some choose to abuse that doesn't fault them completely. That is like blaming a dev company for people who hack their games. They do what they can to prevent it but it still happens. 

I'm spreading this around to get the news out.

From yesterday's R* newswire:

Upcoming Updates to the Red Dead Online Beta: We have been poring through incoming community input and suggestions and are working on updates for early 2019 to address many popular bits of feedback including some new anti-griefing measures in the works and other updates to improve gameplay balance. We are also working on lots of new features, modes and additional Red Dead Online gameplay content updates that we are very excited to share more about in the new year.

Keep that feedback coming to the R* website.  They are listening and have obviously heard the massive complaints about trolls.  Let's hope the solution helps.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, SNAK3S said:

You can't blame them entirely here. They want the game to be open for people to enjoy, as open as possible. Just because some choose to abuse that doesn't fault them completely. That is like blaming a dev company for people who hack their games. They do what they can to prevent it but it still happens. 

Hacking  a game to cheat isn't comparable to killing people in RD O.

R* made it easy to find and kill randoms.   The made this beta public only.   The made it auto aim in pvp to easily target players.  They even made free roam missions that, for what ever reason. encourage pvp.   And they also added objectives with rewards for killing players.

Thats why i don't blame the players.. beyond being di*ks.

• Haha 1

On 12/10/2018 at 9:38 PM, Reyes said:

I noticed a massive increase of them just over the last week of playing. Sometimes I will hop on a server and just be targeting at all times making it impossible to enjoy aspects like hunting. How do you all handle these players? 

I play story mode and wait that Rockstar fixes it.

• Like 2

Having come on the forum to start a thread myself, I'll  answer this instead.

My post was going to be about factual reality... which the 99% do not seemingly understand... No offence intended, just reality.

The economy, griefers, transactions, grinding and all the rest are  being dealt with by perception and 'truth' .... No one likes Truth, it is a pointless thing. It does not exist..... This is most easily addressed by looking at the old saying 'My freedom fighter is your terrorist' ..... That is both sides of the same reality. It is indeed truth to people but not factual reality.

Therefore this game, just like any other AAA game is not about truth,  it is about business ... It is about profits.

Hands up all those who have watched Fight Club?  A deeply intelligent and thought provoking film ....... Edward Norton's character  at one point he explains his job as an insurance company assessor....... In paraphrase he looks at fatal accidents and then works out if it is cheaper for the manufacturer/insurer to fix the issues with a recall ... Or it is cheaper to pay the claims........ This in reality is how important you all are, plus myself and everyone else... Individual are of no importance, it is how they act which matters and gives value.

No matter what one believes to be wrong with RDR2 0/L .... After 17 million copies sold first weekend alone and Xmas coming .... what does it really matter what even 1 million or 2 million think?  There are people on YouTube making videos, getting a few hundred replies... so what? If one watches the end credits of the RDR2 Story, they include the RDR2 On-Line people as well ... Those credits run around 40 minutes ....... 40 minutes...... Signalling the many, many thousands of people all across the globe being paid.

So when this guy for pure example, The Young Gamer, says on YouTube in response to a gold bar shopping video:

"So to Clarify....Rock Star doesn’t want us earning in-game money, or ranking up, or farming , or exploiting (not cheating) using their own physics, fishing, or hunting to earn or in any way avoid their impending (now live) MTX that is Online.. but griefing is fine.. so is nerfing the price of fish for finding a good spot to farm it.. it’s also okay for Rock Star to say yeah we increased mission payouts after the back lash and only to revert it back to the way it was in the 1.05 update and for them later to lower the mission payouts across everything back down to a crawl without disclosing it in the patch notes which is the name thing Bethesda did with Fallout 76 by the way.."

He believes himself to be morally correct... but seems unaware that morals do not exist, they are fluid outlooks  ... Indeed, they are just made up constructs from organised religions, now seen as 'social morals' in the west and any other country invaded by a western empire country.

This is the corporate mind of R*... They, after initial purchase, they care about the below average players by time ... Time is the factor 

What is required by R* and every other game company is time poor, cash rich people. Because they spend money and plenty of it..... These people buy their copy mostly off of Xbox Gold, or the PS4 equivalent or basically Amazon  ....... It is really on these forums and YouTube that impotent people get all excited... Who cares if the grinder plays or not? Certainly not R*...... R* has their $50 and no prospect of more... so go away grander you're just taking up lobby space

Myself as I am, I play a great deal of XBox but very few games ..... Forza, 7 & H 4... occasional rally game, a farming sim and now RDR2. Not interested in on-line because I dislike people.

This evening I hit, wow, level 15, (cue canned  rippling applause) having played the BETA (LOL! BETA)) from day one, a bit..... Griefers? I just close out and walk away for a few hours...... One has to believe that R* have their figures ... They know how much griefers are likely to spend.... If it is a high positive, they stay.... If not, they'll go. It is estimated that up to 2.6 BILLION people are playing some form of internet/video game... That's like around 40+% of the world's population.

Games are about money.... Only about money ...... These games are a fast growing business sector across the globe and will be so over the next 100 years minimum.... Because of  Ai/AGi, which will take all the work that NMW people presently do for NMW ... So you have to do something with them. Something meaning that they can eat, live  and be kept quiet .... It is estimated already that up to 2.6 BILLION people are playing some form of internet/video game... like around 45% of the world's population.

Eating etc is fairly easy to provide with an economic model named  'Universal Basic Income' .... That is most likely not what you think it is; go look it up on YouTube..... But giving the masses any sort of hope or fulfilment ....... No one has yet come up with a good idea, but I suspect gaming will be a part of it, small or large.

Pretty please people... stop thinking you matter, none of us do,..... Not you, not me, nobody... Not even the President of the United States ... The post itself matters, but the incumbent? Apart from the whole 'On principal' thing......  No, not so much

On 12/13/2018 at 2:45 AM, HuDawg said:

Ya.. thats the only logical reply.    People who report them are wasting their time

If i get killed for no reason from a distance or shot in the back..  I reload my rifle and revolver with express rounds and just start killing back and i really can't stop.  I'll just keep killing them for hours if i can.

If they are just playful trolls, then i play back.    I try not to go too over board and have fun with em.

For me theres a big difference between roof top snipers in town compared to someone who runs up and tries to hog tie or start a fist fight.

Yes that is the way to do it. For now it is life on RD online. t. 

I don't react. I noticed if I don't say anything or try to avoid them, they will just eventually get bored and leave me alone. Usually within 2 to 5 minutes. They are trolls remember, they get bored if they don't get a reaction from other players. 

On 12/16/2018 at 9:18 PM, LinXX said:

I don't react. I noticed if I don't say anything or try to avoid them, they will just eventually get bored and leave me alone. Usually within 2 to 5 minutes. They are trolls remember, they get bored if they don't get a reaction from other players. 

I have done this plenty of times on other games and it doesn't always work. I put it to the test a few nights ago and I just let the group keep doing their worst. I went to Taco Bell and got some food. Came back and the second I started doing something, they showed up again. lol No lifers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Depending upon my mood and the situation I adopt three differing strategies:

1) Kill them, their horse, their posse members as often as I can, harassing  and chasing them for as long as I can be bothered

2) Ignore it and carry on

3) Switch server

Hey there, below some tips against griefers:

- Look constantly at the minimap to avoid the "surprise effect" of your attacker

- Get your two best weapons easy to access and fully ready (ammo / cleaning)

- If someone is tying you, use the knife in your weapon wheel, your character will automatically cut the rope (do it before getting fully tied)

- At rank 41: Unlock the ability card "never without one" that allow you to block a headshot if you are wearing a hat (it will just knock off your hat but you won't loose any health point). I would normally only use that ability card only for fight modes but finally it is very helpuf even in exploration, especially with all those griefers.

Typically, the story is always like this: I am in the middle of nowhere, a troll is coming to me, i wave my hand to say hello, the troll take his weapon, i say hello again, the troll aim my head, i still dont moove, and finally the troll shot. Then it becomes funny, I am still standing up and full of health, I generally do a quick dodge jump on a side and counter attack the way i want. 

It is very pleasant to tie and burn someone who tryed to kill you whereas you were friendly!

80% of the time they never comeback! If they do so, try a long shot distance and ride away :)  

Unfortunately, i think the best tip against griefer is to practice shotgun fights, because you are able to defend yourself pretty easily and make understand griefers you are not the right target for their level. They generally give up very quickly.

Or you can still use  the U.S. Marshal Service from The Coca-Cola Kid, i liked the post, very nice concept!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, The Ugly said:

Aww a gathering of snow flakes.. just buck up and fight then off.. I target people who are in my path and have cross path with people who chase you around the map.. just fight back.. 

Who are you calling a snowflake, Frosty? This game isn't open to the public just to justify your pent-up frustration with your mom by targeting people who are just trying to play the game. If someone is hunting and happens to cross you, not looking to fight or anything and are obviously not targeting you, why be a di*k?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RON said:

Who are you calling a snowflake, Frosty? This game isn't open to the public just to justify your pent-up frustration with your mom by targeting people who are just trying to play the game. If someone is hunting and happens to cross you, not looking to fight or anything and are obviously not targeting you, why be a di*k?

Whoa look out here comes the mama comments.

I go around griefing people and I am telling you how to deal with them. I am telling you how to handle griefers but you’re so butt hurt about it that you just want to target and talk smack. I am sticking to the topic while you just want to bitch on how they play the game.

I am done here.. 

Edited by The Ugly
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/10/2018 at 2:12 PM, HooverRAD said:

If there's more than one, I'll actually let one of them kill me four times, Parley with them, then go after the others. Ican handle myself in a straight up fight, but fighting off more than one can be really hard work. I'll also leave when I get bored. Little tip... Most griefers will come after you.. Let them. You can take cover and possibly get the drop on them. If they're waiting for you to attack, just walk away. Play by your rules, not theirs.. :)

I agree. Let them come to you. Get behind cover like a rock or a tree if possible and pop out to shoot them when they rush you. High ground can help a lot too.

• Kean_1 changed the title to The Great Griefer Thread