The Great Griefer Thread

Reyes

31 minutes ago, WSAcanuck said:

Its tougher when there are more than one of them and they are smart enough to come at you from different sides. But its not impossible.

Use the terrain to your advantage. I once popped 2 guys and their other 2 buddies joined the fight. I ran across a draw bridge and hid behind a rock on the other side. Using the draw bridge as a way to funnel them. After dropping them a few times for trying to cross they tried to flank me but I was able to get away. Try to get the high ground and cover.  

• Like 1

Killing griefers isn't the problem, they are usually awful shots.  The problem is that by that time the damage is already done, you've lost whatever was on your horse and been dragged into a pointless time wasting exchange of fire.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Poggy said:

Killing griefers isn't the problem, they are usually awful shots.  The problem is that by that time the damage is already done, you've lost whatever was on your horse and been dragged into a pointless time wasting exchange of fire.

I had that happen many times.. i just see it as it is part of the game and excitment.

I am telling you guys. if you are off on your own and pink dot is headed your way.. don’t stand there and wait.. don’t pull your rifle out with a show of force.. you put that person down right off the batt.. pack your stuff and run if you have deer or what not.. don’t engage in a di*k measuing contest and hold your ground unless you just started hunting and have nothing to lose.. eventually he will pop a headshot and get you.. everything you spent time for is gone..

if they make an announcement to want to join the hunt the make them join your posse and set friendly fire on but still keep some distance. 

Whenever traveling down a path I would say go off trail if you see a pink dot coming in the same direction. This is where I catch a lot of folks. They have no idea if the person is friendly and things move a lot faster cause 2 people are headed towards each other. Only thing is.. while you are think if I am friendly or not in a reaction status, I am reacting first and shooting. I cheat with a varmint and head shot people

when I go after someone who is hunting to steal their deer or fish I don’t make any announcements.. I am flying in and the moment I spot you and that white dot turns red I am shooting. 

There are times I do go to a spot where someone is hunting to hunt also but I send the person a message and ask them on the mic. I have had times where the person says ok and shot me on the spot. No big deal I just go to another spot. The thing I hate is when someone does the same announcement and would show up like they are hunting and just pop shot me. I learned the hard way but making them join the posse or telling then no will help reveal their intent.

this is why I think the game needs to have certain icons instead of pink dots. To let everyone on the server know who has what intent. I have an outlaw icon. I can aim in on everyone. Honorable can only aim in on npc and players with outlaw icons to prevent douche bag players from trying to act honorable and then taking cheapshots at other honorable players

Edited by The Ugly

53 minutes ago, The Ugly said:

this is why I think the game needs to have certain icons instead of pink dots. To let everyone on the server know who has what intent. I have an outlaw icon. I can aim in on everyone. Honorable can only aim in on npc and players with outlaw icons to prevent douche bag players from trying to act honorable and then taking cheapshots at other honorable players

This is pretty flawed for many reasons.

Myself and friends love to murder the crap out of each other for laughs and pvp practice.   We also love to spawn kill the hell out of players and posses that **** with us.  So my honor tends to bottom out pretty quickly.

The reality is, this game needs invite only lobbies and...  if possible.  Friendly lobbies.    And leave the normal lobbies for people who like the 'anything goes' type feel of the game.     

Edited by HuDawg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Both of the above suggestions are very problematic, IMHO.

The idea of pre-emptive shooting all pinks just turns the whole game into a grief fest, and will make the problem much worse.

Private lobbies have a range of issues, most notably making 'normal' lobbies over populated with trolls.

I also notice that Ugly has passed over a number of genuine questions asked of him, is this an oversight or deliberate avoidance?  I don't mind if you don't want to engage in this debate anymore, but it seems rude to continue to engage with the thread and topic while just ignoring one contributor.  

Edited by Poggy

14 hours ago, The Ugly said:

Whoa look out here comes the mama comments.

I go around griefing people and I am telling you how to deal with them. I am telling you how to handle griefers but you’re so butt hurt about it that you just want to target and talk smack. I am sticking to the topic while you just want to bitch on how they play the game.

I am done here.. 

Handling griefers is adding features to prevent them from doing just that. What you're suggesting is playing into their childish, boring, mindless game of tag.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, madfretter said:

What you're suggesting is playing into their childish, boring, mindless game of tag.

You don’t want to be bothered and you don’t want to fight to fend them off then I don’t know what to tell you. As of right now your options aren’t that great to better enjoy the game.  I can only tell you what I do and i am by far not as bad as some of the other griefers I seen that just harass people none stop all over the map. I am on outlaw with honor on xbox. If you are on and need to hire a outlaw to help protect ya while you hunt I will be more than willing to help and do my best. If not thats fine.. just know when I ride into Valentine NPC and everyone there is not safe. Well maybe your horse.. it gets expensive to start putting horses down..

Edited by The Ugly

2 hours ago, HuDawg said:

This is pretty flawed for many reasons.

Myself and friends love to murder the crap out of each other for laughs and pvp practice.   We also love to spawn kill the hell out of players and posses that **** with us.  So my honor tends to bottom out pretty quickly.

The reality is, this game needs invite only lobbies and...  if possible.  Friendly lobbies.    And leave the normal lobbies for people who like the 'anything goes' type feel of the game.     

The whole honor thing I said before would be a status that you personally set yourself. There would be a grace period of a minute or whatever time frame so you can just revert back and for immediately. That way you don’t have those who pretend to be good just to get in a situation and easily flip on people. 

There are people like me who want to play as an outlaw and the moment I am on there is a bounty on me giving others a choice to try and hunt me down. 

Edited by The Ugly

16 minutes ago, The Ugly said:

You don’t want to be bothered and you don’t want to fight to fend them off then I don’t know what to tell you. As of right now your options aren’t that great to better enjoy the game.  I can only tell you what I do and i am by far not as bad as some of the other griefers I seen that just harass people none stop all over the map. I am on outlaw with honor on xbox. If you are on and need to hire a outlaw to help protect ya while you hunt I will be more than willing to help and do my best. If not thats fine.. just know when I ride into Valentine NPC and everyone there is not safe. Well maybe your horse.. it gets expensive to start putting horses down..

I'm all about fighting and defending when there is a point to do so. Missions, robberies, stuff like that I expect to have to defend and will have fun doing so. I would be boring if there wasn't any resistance when doing those activities.  What I don't expect is to have to defend myself  as I'm putting a worm on hook, riding to a destination or just minding my own business. Imagine trying to  play the story mode while having people shoot at you every 10 seconds. It would get real old, real fast.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, madfretter said:

Imagine trying to  play the story mode while having people shoot at you every 10 seconds. It would get real old, real fast.

Not really. I am getting shot at and chased by law men constantly in story mode lol. I get someone putting you down while you’re putting a worm on your hook. I been there and done that (on both sides of it). Its just something in the game that we have to deal with. Ibisially just laugh and aay I should have known better.. then proceed to send bullets in the person’s direction. Maybe bring a buddy to watch your back? 

2 hours ago, Poggy said:

Private lobbies have a range of issues, most notably making 'normal' lobbies over populated with trolls.

I don't buy into that to be honest.  RDO is already infested with griefers and those who will now fire on sight simply to protect themselves as a result.  .....can't blame the latter really.

Invite-only lobbies should be offered as an option to those of us who wish to explore the world / activities with friends or alone. 

Free Roam can still be relevant by retaining missions, heists, etc. (certain activities) within it that only can be played there.  GTAVO already does this.  ......or perhaps make missions / tasks available in both but more profitable in Free Roam 

Either way, there are things they can do in Free Roam to help mitigate the issue of griefing which they already are going to do.  .....to what an extent or if it will actually have an impact, we'll just have to wait and see.  There needs to be some accountability for those actions because as it stands, there really is none.

Regardless, I don't believe RDO will ever be a troll-fest on the level of GTAVO.  

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, The Ugly said:

Not really. I am getting shot at and chased by law men constantly in story mode lol. I get someone putting you down while you’re putting a worm on your hook. I been there and done that (on both sides of it). Its just something in the game that we have to deal with. Ibisially just laugh and aay I should have known better.. then proceed to send bullets in the person’s direction. Maybe bring a buddy to watch your back? 

Yea, you def play this game differently than I do...lol.  All of our conversations are pointless anyways, R* already has the private lobbies set up. Just killing time until we each have our own sides of the playground...lol

On 12/28/2018 at 12:05 PM, The Ugly said:

Aww a gathering of snow flakes.. just buck up and fight then off.. I target people who are in my path and have cross path with people who chase you around the map.. just fight back.. 

Well Troll, call it what you will.  Truth is I loaded in and before I completely spawned in, I was already dead.  Waited for the re-spawn and the same player killed me once again before I completely spawned.  And again and again, till I eventually got the whole parley thing.  Now how exactly are you suppose to deal with that.  Simple fact is you can't always troll the trolls, now that was the last time I got online to play.  Not much fun when a troll feels the need to troll.  Still waiting on Rockstar's response to this.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind PvP, but I don't and won't understand the need for players seek every advantage to get an easy kill.  I personally  what my opponent's to know when they are facing a better opponent.  Some of the crap i have seen on here and other similar games.  Seriously, if you have to go and attack a player who is fishing or hunting or participating in an event that really doesn't require your interaction.  Now if it is a mission that announces to the whole world and ask you to intervene, that is different, cause that is a PvP event.  Attacking someone who is just spawning in over and over and you are clueless whether if they are going to participate in PvP, is just being a troll.

Edited by YodaMan 3D

3 minutes ago, Kean_1 said:

I don't buy into that to be honest.  RDO is already infested with griefers and those who will now fire on sight simply to protect themselves as a result.  .....can't blame the latter really.

Invite-only lobbies should be offered as an option to those of us who wish to explore the world / activities with friends or alone. 

Free Roam can still be relevant by retaining missions, heists, etc. (certain activities) within it that only can be played there.  GTAVO already does this.  ......or perhaps make missions / tasks available in both but more profitable in Free Roam 

Either way, there are things they can do in Free Roam to help mitigate the issue of griefing which they already are going to do.  .....to what an extent or if it will actually have an impact, we'll just have to wait and see.  There needs to be some accountability for those actions because as it stands, there really is none.

Regardless, I don't believe RDO will ever be a troll-fest on the level of GTAVO.  

I think that's the biggest problem, there  really isn't a penalty for killing other players.  If someone kills me and I have 15 *** pelts, I lose my pelts and probably about 30-45 minutes of time hunting down the animals. So I go and kill them back and they lose.....nothing. So the end result is I lost 45 minutes of my time and they lost 15 seconds. Not really fair is it?  Revenge is never equal in this game because the people that do nothing but kill have nothing to lose. R* needs to add something for them to lose and it should be time based. Basically if you get revenge on a person that killed you for no reason, that person would get hit with a time out of say like 2 minutes per pelt that you lost. That may sound like a long time, but  considering how long it takes to track down a ton of *** animals, it's not. 

All that being said, it makes zero sense that the pelts disappear when you die. They should be sitting on your horse when you respawn. I'm sure R* will say it's because the horse  fast traveled  to your new location, but considering that  the pelts in your bag are still there ,that is a B.S. excuse.  The only reason I can think of that the pelts disappear is so we don't make money  and buy gold bars.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Poggy said:

Wouldn't it be nice is if there was a 'delete troll' button, lol, :)

I don't know if it really helps or not but I've been blocking every one I encounter or observe (sometimes entire posses).  Some say PSN won't throw you in sessions with players you block. 

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 5:46 PM, The Ugly said:

Yodaman 3D and I were hunting near Tumbleweed when I see a pink dot coming and hear shooting. Turns out he shot at Yodaman while he was skinning an animal so I drilled him with my bolt action and split point ammo. We had stuff on our horses to sell so I'm not messing around with idiots but he never hit anything that I know of so I don't know about his aim lol. We then went into Tumbleweed and to the butcher and never saw the idiot again.

I don't know why I have the quote box in this post - can't get rid of it.

Edited by DLKnives

I'm the type of player who will only exchange in hardcore PVP when the other person wants to play along. I think it being forced on people who don't want to play like that just because someone else does is a bit much. You should be able to switch it off for something and have a cooldown time for it UNLESS you are the one targeting other people then screw you, no protection for you. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, DLKnives said:

Yodaman 3D and I were hunting near Tumbleweed when I see a pink dot coming and hear shooting. Turns out he shot at Yodaman while he was skinning an animal so I drilled him with my bolt action and split point ammo. We had stuff on our horses to sell so I'm not messing around with idiots but he never hit anything that I know of so I don't know about his aim lol. We then went into Tumbleweed and to the butcher and never saw the idiot again.

I don't know why I have the quote box in this post - can't get rid of it.

Thats why I shoot first and ask questions last. Sucks your buddy was caught in the middle of skinning. Good thing you were there to have his back. Just like in real life. I never go hunting alone lol. Yea I know this is a game but there are people who try to take advantage of these situations.

Pre-emotive shooting just makes the situation worse, turning everyone into paranoid trolls and making it harder to hunt in peace.

There are fixes that R* could implement that'll alleviate the issue, and I hope they come quick, but bad people gonna be bad regardless.  We shouldn't stoop to their level in the meantime.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, The Ugly said:

The whole honor thing I said before would be a status that you personally set yourself. There would be a grace period of a minute or whatever time frame so you can just revert back and for immediately. That way you don’t have those who pretend to be good just to get in a situation and easily flip on people. 

There are people like me who want to play as an outlaw and the moment I am on there is a bounty on me giving others a choice to try and hunt me down. 

It still doesn't mean the game can determine whos the aggressor or the defender even if there was a grace period.

This game needs invite only and/or friendly sessions.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, G IR U IB said:

I wish I could lol. If they get me again I quit and restart. 

Yes they win but I get peace for 10 minutes. 

That is way I feel also. Normally I watch them approach and then just leave session, go do something in rl, then come back in 10 min or so and by then they are gone and I can continue what I was doing.  The problem is the loss of stuff on horse.  I don't keep that many pelts and carcass because I usually get shot by time I make it to market so why reward the a$$ hole.

Last night I was fishing with a friend and having good time way off on our own.  Then come these 3 clowns from across the map straight at us.  As I look at the players I see a leader of 150 and 2 buddies of 30 and 18.  The leader sets off dynamite Im assuming to kill our horses that had some good pelts so we loose them.  As I went to the player menu to block all 3 players I was killed 3 times by time got it done.  Must have been a real man to beat up 2 low level players till they leave game. R* needs to do something about this.  Who the hell thinks that people should pay real money to continue this circus full of clowns.

5 minutes ago, Ragee503 said:

That is way I feel also. Normally I watch them approach and then just leave session, go do something in rl, then come back in 10 min or so and by then they are gone and I can continue what I was doing.  The problem is the loss of stuff on horse.  I don't keep that many pelts and carcass because I usually get shot by time I make it to market so why reward the a$$ hole.

Last night I was fishing with a friend and having good time way off on our own.  Then come these 3 clowns from across the map straight at us.  As I look at the players I see a leader of 150 and 2 buddies of 30 and 18.  The leader sets off dynamite Im assuming to kill our horses that had some good pelts so we loose them.  As I went to the player menu to block all 3 players I was killed 3 times by time got it done.  Must have been a real man to beat up 2 low level players till they leave game. R* needs to do something about this.  Who the hell thinks that people should pay real money to continue this circus full of clowns.

Actually, that dynamite was me (sorry, didn't tell you).  :)  I was trying to get him off of that cliff.

Yeah, I stood there the last two times he killed me with my guns holstered to show him how unamused I was.  ......I was also doing the same thing (blocking and reporting each one).  Unfortunately, as soon as you parley with one in a posse of griefers, the rest come in.  ......big problem right there in the whole parley design.

Anyhow, you didn't see this after you left but they went up North and griefed another posse of two until those guys left.  I was hanging out in the train station and then made a bee line for the town to sell my stuff before I logged off.

20 minutes ago, Ragee503 said:

I know exactly where your coming from. 

If I'm in a town and do see someone coming towards me I'll emote at wave as a friendly gesture, but they still shoot. 

I've also been sniped a few times while fishing. 

All this griefing is the only thing that spoils this game online for me. 

I don't go around killing anyone. I'm alone wolf who just wants to grind. 

I'm was heading towards Blackwater earlier and it came up about another posse has started a mission etc. She rode past me on the wagon. I just carried on trotting along in my own little bubble. She stopped turned round and shot me. I just thought wtf. It's just pointless at times. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, G IR U IB said:

I'm was heading towards Blackwater earlier and it came up about another posse has started a mission etc. She rode past me on the wagon. I just carried on trotting along in my own little bubble. She stopped turned round and shot me. I just thought wtf. It's just pointless at times. 

Should've given them a wider berth to be honest.  Probably thought you were playing it casual on purpose and felt you might attack from the rear.  I know I would have.  

Whenever I see someone on a mission like that, I quickly remove myself from the area for both my own protection and as a sign to them that I am not a threat.  On the flip side, I will do my best to avoid others while trying to complete a mission but I will tend to take to make the first move if I'm vulnerable and feel someone is too close for comfort.  Been burned too many times to give randoms the benefit of the doubt anymore.

6 minutes ago, Kean_1 said:

Should've given them a wider berth to be honest.  Probably thought you were playing it casual on purpose and felt you might attack from the rear.  I know I would have.  

Whenever I see someone on a mission like that, I quickly remove myself from the area for both my own protection and as a sign to them that I am not a threat.  On the flip side, I will do my best to avoid others while trying to complete a mission but I will tend to take to make the first move if I'm vulnerable and feel someone is too close for comfort.  Been burned too many times to give randoms the benefit of the doubt anymore.

Cheers good advice. I'll keep that in mind. 

32 minutes ago, Kean_1 said:

Actually, that dynamite was me (sorry, didn't tell you).  :)  I was trying to get him off of that cliff.

Yeah, I stood there the last two times he killed me with my guns holstered to show him how unamused I was.  ......I was also doing the same thing (blocking and reporting each one).  Unfortunately, as soon as you parley with one in a posse of griefers, the rest come in.  ......big problem right there in the whole parley design.

Anyhow, you didn't see this after you left but they went up North and griefed another posse of two until those guys left.  I was hanging out in the train station and then made a bee line for the town to sell my stuff before I logged off.

Oh LOL,

Then the dynamite was cool, my point being that we were attacked with a posse with a level 150 griever up against people of much smaller level isn't even close to fair fight.  Playground bullying at its finest.  What kind of matchmaking does R* use on these servers.  There should be level limits for pvp so at least its somewhat fair.

22 minutes ago, Ragee503 said:

Oh LOL,

Then the dynamite was cool, my point being that we were attacked with a posse with a level 150 griever up against people of much smaller level isn't even close to fair fight.  Playground bullying at its finest.  What kind of matchmaking does R* use on these servers.  There should be level limits for pvp so at least its somewhat fair.

Yeah, no joke. There really is no sort of matchmaking on that level which is why we really need some sort of balance. I just hope the changes in the next title update will help in that regard.

• Kean_1 changed the title to The Great Griefer Thread