So what comes after RDR2?

Fyi....   Mods are being changed in this upcoming Friday patch for TD2.  A lot of the negatives are being removed and the positives being nerfed a bit. The whole skill power requirements are being lowered so they are more useful, some weapon balance, etc.

Thanks guys, seems fair enough to me.

I think next I'm going to finish the next episode of Life is Strange 2 (I have no idea, but I just love those games), and then go back to RDR2 and get myself attacked by another 10 grizzlies (that's an achievement that I missed getting for some reason).

Then I might come back to TD2, or I might detox with something else entirely.

1 hour ago, Foxtrot said:

I think next I'm going to finish the next episode of Life is Strange 2

THey have 2nd one?  i loved the first one,  i know what i'll be doing this weekend lol

On 4/3/2019 at 3:51 PM, Kormath said:

I solo'd almost all of TD1, only the end game 4 man raids forced me to do multiplayer, and even a few of those could be solo'd with tier 4 gear playing the mission at tier 0 or 1.  All of the story line missions and bosses were able to be solo'd.  

I die much more in TD2 than TD1,  i love it.  It's frustrating, mostly as i go well that was stupid of me as i hit the button to resurrect.  Cover is a must, but so far for as much as i've completed (just unlocked the 3rd safehouse last night) i've solo'd it all without much difficulty.

And the mission end guys aren't as bullet-spongey as they were in TD1 i don't think.  a well placed couple sniper rounds and they die quickly.

Also, level equipment is a big deal in TD2,  you can't get away with using your favorite level 7 sniper rifle on level 11 enemies in TD2 like i did with TD1.

I've already been soured at this point based on TD1's gunplay and unless enemies in TD2 drop in 1 head or 2 to 3 torso shots like they do IRL, I'm not interested.

I play games to relax and be entertained, not be frustrated. If a game is going to make me want to throw my controller through my TV, it's not something I'm interested in.

12 hours ago, Parzival said:

I've already been soured at this point based on TD1's gunplay and unless enemies in TD2 drop in 1 head or 2 to 3 torso shots like they do IRL, I'm not interested.

I play games to relax and be entertained, not be frustrated. If a game is going to make me want to throw my controller through my TV, it's not something I'm interested in.

no game out there is realistic to life.  even RDR2 takes a few shots to kill people,  I've shot lawmen in the head twice with the litchfield repeater to kill them.  I've shot thugs in TD2 once in the head to kill them, or twice at times with a level sniper rifle.  the heavily armed bosses take a few shots, they are heavily armored after all.  Pretty unrealistic to want a shooting game to be realistic :P  It'd be finished in hours if that.

On 4/5/2019 at 10:07 AM, Kormath said:

no game out there is realistic to life.  even RDR2 takes a few shots to kill people,  I've shot lawmen in the head twice with the litchfield repeater to kill them.  I've shot thugs in TD2 once in the head to kill them, or twice at times with a level sniper rifle.  the heavily armed bosses take a few shots, they are heavily armored after all.  Pretty unrealistic to want a shooting game to be realistic :P  It'd be finished in hours if that.

There are games out there like that but most are on PC.  Titles that are considered milsims, hardcore survival, etc. can have much more unforgiving and "realistic" damage models.  ....although games like that have been quite scarce on console.  However, that's not to say there aren't those that appear on console from time to time.  The Sniper Elite franchise or other games like Ghost Recon Wildlands are just a couple examples that come to mind.  Personally, I loved the Flashpoint series on PC and even played the titles that came over to console.  That was about as milsim as it got on the PS3.

Just as an example, the core gameplay of GRW is quite lethal and way more realistic in that respect compared to the Division.   Enemies can be killed with one shot although once alerted they may take 1-3 shots depending on the weapon and placement.  IIRC, headshots were still a one-shot deal regardless.

Takedowns are very quick but not easy.  On the highest difficulty, even your character is extremely vulnerable.  That was one aspect of that game I really loved.  .....that and the flexibility to approach and engage objectives as you like from complete stealth to guns blazing or anywhere in between.  One of the most fun co-op experiences I've had in a game in a long time.  It was a blast to be able to plan and coordinate missions with your team.   

I just can't agree that lethal damage models are unrealistic as they already do exist and have their own fans who love that style of gameplay.  ....including me.  :)

On that note, one such title I've been waiting for that is making the crossover from PC to console is Insurgency: Sandstorm.  That game is a cross between milsim titles and a more casual PvP experience.  The damage model is absolutely brutal.  

On 4/4/2019 at 9:15 PM, Parzival said:

The Division franchise is definitely an RPG.  That was one aspect of the game I never really liked but with TD1, I learned to enjoy the other elements of the gameplay.  

When TD2 was announced however, I never really had an interest until I heard news that the devs would be toning down the sponginess of the damage model which they have.  I still don't care for the woile RPG nature of the damage but it is what it is.   Just like RDO.....   I don't particularly care for the arcadey gunplay and damage but the package as a whole is enjoyable to me.  Just a different kind of beast.

I will say that when GRW came out I immediately thought that the damage in that game was what I wished the Division could have been.  .....but then the game was never designed around that kind of model like GRW was. 

GRW certainly has its drawbacks (absurd and sometimes nonsensical bullet drop, one reload animation per gun, no +1 in the chamber, lack of ideal squad control options, to name a few), but I'll take it over any post-GRAW2 console shooter currently on the market right now.

Too bad SOCOM died. At least until S4 came along, it was the king of squad-based tactical console shooters, IMO.

• 1 year later...

Reviving an old thread here, but I've been sinking myself into Snowrunner,

Very similar to RDR2 in that it involves long hours driving across maps of beautiful scenery and getting distracted by side-quests.

• 2 months later...
On 5/13/2020 at 2:42 AM, Foxtrot said:

Reviving an old thread here, but I've been sinking myself into Snowrunner,

Very similar to RDR2 in that it involves long hours driving across maps of beautiful scenery and getting distracted by side-quests.

I'm honestly hoping Red Dead Redemption 2 comes to the PS5. I'm also kind of expecting a new Grand Theft Auto 

47 minutes ago, DylBandit said:

I'm honestly hoping Red Dead Redemption 2 comes to the PS5. I'm also kind of expecting a new Grand Theft Auto 

Well, an "enhanced and expanded" GTAV will be coming to PS5 apparently sometime in 2021 so while a new "GTA6" may be coming at some point, I think it will be a ways out to be honest.  

3 hours ago, Kean_1 said:

Well, an "enhanced and expanded" GTAV will be coming to PS5 apparently sometime in 2021 so while a new "GTA6" may be coming at some point, I think it will be a ways out to be honest.  

I'm waiting for the PlayStation 10 version.

On 7/20/2020 at 1:25 PM, Kean_1 said:

I would honestly be fine with GTA 5 on the PS5 if they give us DLC added stories and stuff. I think that would be awesome since everyone was asking for that since the very beginning. 

On 7/20/2020 at 4:38 PM, Parzival said:

I'm waiting for the PlayStation 10 version.

Lol!

8 minutes ago, DylBandit said:

I would honestly be fine with GTA 5 on the PS5 if they give us DLC added stories and stuff. I think that would be awesome since everyone was asking for that since the very beginning.

I doubt they will to any significant degree, though. Maybe a couple new simple random encounters and races, but for the most part I expect Story Mode to stay untouched. I think this is simply a way to keep profiting from GTA Online and nothing more.

58 minutes ago, Parzival said:

I doubt they will to any significant degree, though. Maybe a couple new simple random encounters and races, but for the most part I expect Story Mode to stay untouched. I think this is simply a way to keep profiting from GTA Online and nothing more.

Honestly who knows anything about what R* has planned at this point. 

11 hours ago, Parzival said:

You mean besides just making one new game every decade?

In all honesty, it takes a good while to make a great game. Although releases are a little lengthy from R*, I was more referring to what plans they have in regards to Grand Theft Auto V moving forward, yet again, to the next console.

21 hours ago, DylBandit said:

Well, we're still early in the game and the details are kinda vague but as it stands, it doesn't look like anything significant will be added to the campaign as they only talks about "a range of technical improvements, visual upgrades and performance enhancements to take full advantage of the latest hardware, making the game more beautiful and more responsive than ever."  It seems much of the "expanded and enhanced" improvements will be reserved for Online:

"And for the massive and vibrant community of Grand Theft Auto Online players worldwide, the journey through the ever-evolving, shared world of GTA Online will continue on to the new generation with more new updates including additional GTA Online content exclusive to the new consoles and PC. There will also be a new standalone version of GTA Online coming in the second half of 2021, which will be available for free exclusively for PlayStation 5 players during the first three months. 

Additionally, all PlayStation Plus members on PlayStation 4 will get GTA$1,000,000 (deposited into their in-game Maze Bank account within 72 hours of log-in) each month they play GTA Online until the launch of GTA Online on PlayStation 5.

Stay tuned to the Rockstar Newswire for many more details on the new versions of GTAV and much more to come in the months ahead."

Hopefully the "expanded" content includes something like new areas to explore (an expanded map), etc.  The thing is (and they mentioned this when developing RDR2) that GTAV had limitations when they ported it to PS4.  ....limitations in the way it was originally coded for the PS3 that they simply couldn't change.  I don't know how far they are going to delve into the mechanics in the PS5 version but I have to imagine that's still a limiting factor in what they can do.  I will say that the PS4 port was still impressive IMO and I expect the PS5 version to be even better.  

One thing that might affect my purchase however is the MTU exploit.  I currently use it on the PS4 to force myself into solo sessions.  When I'm not play with friends in private sessions, I am playing by myself.  I refuse to play online with randoms as I find it absolutely no fun.  If there is no way to do this on PS5, I may pass on the game  this time.  .....at the very least, I'm going to have to give it some serious thought.

On 7/22/2020 at 3:42 PM, Kean_1 said:

Well, we're still early in the game and the details are kinda vague but as it stands, it doesn't look like anything significant will be added to the campaign as they only talks about "a range of technical improvements, visual upgrades and performance enhancements to take full advantage of the latest hardware, making the game more beautiful and more responsive than ever."  It seems much of the "expanded and enhanced" improvements will be reserved for Online:

"And for the massive and vibrant community of Grand Theft Auto Online players worldwide, the journey through the ever-evolving, shared world of GTA Online will continue on to the new generation with more new updates including additional GTA Online content exclusive to the new consoles and PC. There will also be a new standalone version of GTA Online coming in the second half of 2021, which will be available for free exclusively for PlayStation 5 players during the first three months. 

Additionally, all PlayStation Plus members on PlayStation 4 will get GTA$1,000,000 (deposited into their in-game Maze Bank account within 72 hours of log-in) each month they play GTA Online until the launch of GTA Online on PlayStation 5.

Stay tuned to the Rockstar Newswire for many more details on the new versions of GTAV and much more to come in the months ahead."

Hopefully the "expanded" content includes something like new areas to explore (an expanded map), etc.  The thing is (and they mentioned this when developing RDR2) that GTAV had limitations when they ported it to PS4.  ....limitations in the way it was originally coded for the PS3 that they simply couldn't change.  I don't know how far they are going to delve into the mechanics in the PS5 version but I have to imagine that's still a limiting factor in what they can do.  I will say that the PS4 port was still impressive IMO and I expect the PS5 version to be even better.  

One thing that might affect my purchase however is the MTU exploit.  I currently use it on the PS4 to force myself into solo sessions.  When I'm not play with friends in private sessions, I am playing by myself.  I refuse to play online with randoms as I find it absolutely no fun.  If there is no way to do this on PS5, I may pass on the game  this time.  .....at the very least, I'm going to have to give it some serious thought.

I actually wonder if they are going to have PS4 to PS5 character transfers in GTA 5 since they originally took away the PS3 to PS4 character transfer which was unfortunate.