Why use a shotgun?

Voss

12 minutes ago, Voss said:

Am I missing something, but just looking at the stats for the weapons why would you ever use a shotgun over the Lancaster?

Close range combat. That's why. If someone wants to run up on me then they can taste double sawed offs. It's basically a one shot insta kill.

Edited by Renascent

1 hour ago, Voss said:

So I get the double barrel and/or sawed off draw, but what about the pump and repeating?

The pump was the first one I got and while that would have been fine, I did get the repeating and that's what I stick with mostly for that kind of work.

I use them for their sheer stopping power up close whether that means other players or other predators.  Use what works for you and the task at hand.  That's one reason I like RDR2 / RDDO is that the weapon balance allows variety based on personal choice.  

• Like 1

Just now, Voss said:

Do some weapons do more damage based on "proximity" ?

Does a shotgun do more damage than the stats reflect vs the Lancaster based on the distance to the target?

If you see someone's head come off you will know😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

noobs like them for casual aim easy kills. 

noobs and veterans alike... pump action is my go to for gang hideouts... find a good cover spot and let rip

upper chest and up is a one shot kill... was quite surprised with the range when I first started using it

Edited by nshanny73
  • Like 1

They aren't of much use for hunting, not for me at least so I mainly use them for protection. If someone runs up on me I whip it out and show em' mine is bigger than theirs. I noticed sometimes if you pull out a shotty when someone gets close, they tend to back off a bit. Not always but sometimes. They know. They can do some damage and fast.

Shotguns are good on close distance (its obvious). I mostly use 2x sawed off's + bolt + Repeater shotgun (i heard that pump is a bit better but bought the repeater first). 

When there are one or two enemies close i ll use the sawed offs if more ill use the shotgun for its 6 shots.  Very good for defending places. 

Lancaster - i only use it now on missions to kill npc's switching instantly to bolt when a foe aproaches. Looking forward for the explosive ammo ;) Still need a few lvls. Maybe this weekend. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James Hickok_1837 said:

Shotguns are good on close distance (its obvious). I mostly use 2x sawed off's + bolt + Repeater shotgun (i heard that pump is a bit better but bought the repeater first). 

When there are one or two enemies close i ll use the sawed offs if more ill use the shotgun for its 6 shots.  Very good for defending places. 

Lancaster - i only use it now on missions to kill npc's switching instantly to bolt when a foe aproaches. Looking forward for the explosive ammo ;) Still need a few lvls. Maybe this weekend. 

+1

• Like 1

Repeaters - Lancaster is still king and a top tier weapon in PVE or PVP. Always a solid versatile go to weapon. Evans is also good because of the magazine size. 

Rifles- I probably use the Springfield more than any other gun in the game. Love using it in PVP and Free Roam. Bolt is also excellent. Good in almost any situation. 

Shotguns- I use double barreled in PVP exclusively. It just clicks with me. Semi would be my next choice. Pump and Repeating are fun too. Both are about the same for me. One fires faster, one has more range . Don't know anyone who doesn't like dual sawed offs. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ozy8753 said:

If you see someone's head come off you will know😂

I get that its a cool visual effect :) but is it actually doing more damage?

A varmit rifle can kill with a single headshot (granted the animation is quite as graphic as with a slug to the head)

39 minutes ago, Voss said:

A varmit rifle can kill with a single headshot (granted the animation is quite as graphic as with a slug to the head)

It can one shot kill with a body shot. A rifle is a rifle, it's good with ranged. Like many have said, the shotgun is for close range. You can't one shot with other guns if you hit the upper body (unless maybe the carcano and rolling block).

Edited by Renascent
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Voss said:

Any gun can one hit kill with a head shot. Kinda of confused by all the questions.  But if you are using a shotgun at rifle/repeater range , your doing it wrong. In real life , I could reach out and touch you with my Remingtion 870 from a good distance. But in this game....you see a massive damage drop off outside of a very small intended range. But if you think for a second a shotgun is the only gun you need in RDR2....that is a bad idea. Shotgun fills in the gap for CQC combat. Period. 

Edited by Savage_Reaper
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Voss said:

Every game ever made with guns.. has the same logic.   Shotguns own close/mid range.

Shotgun slugs can increase range.. but losses its power at close range.

Buy one and try it out - a sawed off or double barrelled is cheap enough, if you want to limit your expenditure, and you won't regret it.

I never go into a showdown without either a long shotgun (pump or double barrelled depending on how I feel) or dual sawnoffs.

I always have my Springfield (HV ammo) for long range, then have either a Litchfield or dual wield revolvers/volcanic pistol (Express ammo) for medium range and, depending on whether its repeater or pistols, the shotgun(s) (standard ammo, not slug) for CQC.

Why not? lol

Maybe I am an old fashion gamer here but if there is an option for a shotgun in the game, I will have tons of fun with it. Be it against other players, animals, or NPCs. They are just fun to use in my book. 

On 4/3/2019 at 11:29 AM, Voss said:

Am I missing something, but just looking at the stats for the weapons why would you ever use a shotgun over the Lancaster?

Try it, close range, 50 feet or less, it is way better and I think does more damage.

It definitely feels like it,

I carry both plus dual volcanic pistols and the shotgun is the most fun, I use the repeater for distance, but the shotty for just about everything else.

Edited by lumper
  • Like 1

Me personally, I run with a Bolt Action for long ranges, a Lancaster for mid ranges, a Schofield for mid-short ranges, and a Sawed Off in my off hand holster just in case. Works like a charm. Haven't had any major problems so far. Also, by getting different ammo types, if I run out of rifle ammo I can switch to the Lancaster in a pinch. I use the bolt cause it's fairly cheap and I see no reason to upgrade to a different gun at the moment.

Edited by EjectedCasings
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, EjectedCasings said:

Me personally, I run with a Bolt Action for long ranges, a Lancaster for mid ranges, a Schofield for mid-short ranges, and a Sawed Off in my off hand holster just in case. Works like a charm. Haven't had any major problems so far. Also, by getting different ammo types, if I run out of rifle ammo I can switch to the Lancaster in a pinch. I use the bolt cause it's fairly cheap and I see no reason to upgrade to a different gun at the moment.

Nice!!

Ive been running with a Springfield for its damage, then a pump shotgun, then either two volcanics, two sawed off's or one of each.
I like how you run the repeater instead, thats pretty cool, I just feel naked without a shotgun for close range and having only two shells gives me a little anxiety, But Im sure I could live without the pump shotty since I have sawed off's I'm going to try this, might just take some getting used to.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 4/11/2019 at 2:45 AM, lumper said:

Nice!!

Ive been running with a Springfield for its damage, then a pump shotgun, then either two volcanics, two sawed off's or one of each.
I like how you run the repeater instead, thats pretty cool, I just feel naked without a shotgun for close range and having only two shells gives me a little anxiety, But Im sure I could live without the pump shotty since I have sawed off's I'm going to try this, might just take some getting used to.

Same for me with one exception. I use the Semi-auto shotgun. I'am pretty fast with my Springfield; keep shooting with no refill like the Bolt.

My two Volcanics in combi with dual wheel Gunslinger card are Killing !!

Edited by Herta47

15 hours ago, Herta47 said:

. I'am pretty fast with my Springfield; keep shooting with no refill like the Bolt.

When i last checked ( after the reloading times update) firing 5 shots with bolt action and reloading is still faster than firing 5 shots with springfield.      It only  matters in pvp tho.    In pve its easier to use springfield while hunting etc.

Edited by James Hickok_1837

59 minutes ago, James Hickok_1837 said:

When i last checked ( after the reloading times update) firing 5 shots with bolt action and reloading is still faster than firing 5 shots with springfield.      It only  matters in pvp tho.    In pve its easier to use springfield while hunting etc.

I never checked, but I believe you. Accept your suggestion.