Jump to content

Notre Dame Fire


Recommended Posts

Just tuned in online at the start of my lunch in time to see the spire fall :(  What a horrible event.   

Was able to watch most of it online on the various new network's live feeds.  I'm still kinda dumbfounded.  Paris's most iconic landmark going up in flames, more visitors to it than the Eifle Tower.  The loss of history is what staggers me.  The spire was said to have held uncountable relics and antiquities in it.  all gone now.

It's the most toured landmark if you can believe the news feeds that couldn't agree on what year Notre Dame was built.  I've been listening and watching to a half dozen different news feeds, all in the US, and i've heard probably a half dozen different dates it was built in.  anywhere from 1140 to 1260.  Made me think of the older post here about the quality of content from our news sources.

  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kormath said:

It's the most toured landmark if you can believe the news feeds that couldn't agree on what year Notre Dame was built.  I've been listening and watching to a half dozen different news feeds, all in the US, and i've heard probably a half dozen different dates it was built in.  anywhere from 1140 to 1260.  Made me think of the older post here about the quality of content from our news sources.

Apparently Paris doesnt have a Newscopter4 either. If there was a trashcan fire around where I live, there would be 6 local news outlets fighting for airspace. 

I hope the pope has good insurance. Priceless stuff ain't cheap.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Paris is falling apart and I can't help but sit here and wonder why they are letting it all happen.

I know the church going up in flames is likely down to an accident but there are so many issues there now, it is just sad. They had to block off a lot of monuments from people destroying them. The Eifle Tower is surrounded by an ugly wall now. Why can't people admire and respect history rather than try to destroy it? A lot of bad crap happened but we got where we are today because we continued to learn from history and past mistakes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Glopez said:

Paris is falling apart and I can't help but sit here and wonder why they are letting it all happen.

I know the church going up in flames is likely down to an accident but there are so many issues there now, it is just sad. They had to block off a lot of monuments from people destroying them. The Eifle Tower is surrounded by an ugly wall now. Why can't people admire and respect history rather than try to destroy it? A lot of bad crap happened but we got where we are today because we continued to learn from history and past mistakes. 

it's the mentality of the millenials and Gen Z, they care nothing of history, of what/where/why all of us are where we are today.  no respect, it's all about them in the now.  They all think they're special and above the laws, look at the idiots on youtube that posted because they're stupid and got arrested "I don't consent!  you can't arrest me!" lmao.

nobody learns from history,  it's a repeating circle, from recessions to wars.

Back on topic :P  Looks like the fire was finally put out this morning.  Some of the pictures of the internal damage are intense, the fire above the hallway arches is a good one.  I wouldn't have been brave enough to take some of those pictures lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It was a sad sight. I have no ties with any churches but a piece of history that old going up in flames turns my stomach a bit. I saw clips of people crying. I saw some of others smiling and laughing. It seems everyone has a different take on this.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just hoping it was an accident and not an attack. Like mentioned above, groups have been vandalizing things there for the last few years. I don't know much about the history of the building but I know well enough to know if it burned to the ground, it would be a huge historical loss to France and the world. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, jACKx said:

I'm just hoping it was an accident and not an attack. Like mentioned above, groups have been vandalizing things there for the last few years. I don't know much about the history of the building but I know well enough to know if it burned to the ground, it would be a huge historical loss to France and the world. 

If it was an attack no one has claimed it yet, and all the "officials" are saying accident from the renovations now.  I'd hate to be the guy that had that accident, did he flee the country, or will they find his remains in the ashes after his co-workers got to him?  

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's likely that no one was there at all when the fire took hold.  Spontaneous combustion of oil-soaked rags is a known thing.  The workmen should really have known the relevant regulations to avoid such an accident.

My own theory is linseed oil soaked rags that were left in a confined space gradually got hotter in the afternoon sun and ignited long after workmen had left.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linseed_oil#Spontaneous_combustion

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2019 at 7:09 AM, Kormath said:

look at the idiots on youtube that posted because they're stupid and got arrested "I don't consent!  you can't arrest me!" lmao.

I love watching police baiters get their comeuppance. Like that guy who went to a police station to "file a complaint" while wearing a balaclava and sunglasses and carrying a loaded AK and pistol and is lucky he didn't end up filled with bullets.

Anyway, on to the topic...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/talkingtech/2019/04/17/ubisoft-pledges-funds-video-game-tech-notre-dame-cathedral-restoration/3495406002/

I'm not trying to diminish their donation in any way, but for a company as big and profitable as Ubisoft, 500,000 euros (about 565,000 USD, as said in the article) is a pretty paltry sum, IMO. I think they could easily bump that up to 1,000,000 without being hurt financially.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Parzival said:

I still think they could have given more, though.

like @watery buffalo said it's a donation, does it really matter how much they gave? 

L'Oreal Paris and Kering are donating a combined 500 million euros, and the Bettencourt family matched that.  what do you call a hundred thousand million?  a trillion?  yep i suck at math.  Did they donate enough?

Link to post
Share on other sites

A friend of mine is dead set on insisting this was an inside job. I told him no one was there when it started and thankfully. They leave candles lit all the time, something could have easily started the fire. I am just glad no one got killed in the fire and they are able to repair it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kormath said:

like @watery buffalo said it's a donation, does it really matter how much they gave? 

L'Oreal Paris and Kering are donating a combined 500 million euros, and the Bettencourt family matched that.  what do you call a hundred thousand million?  a trillion?  yep i suck at math.  Did they donate enough?

I guess it wouldn't matter if they decided to cut that amount down to the equivalent of a single US dollar, then? After all, a donation is a donation, right? I just think it comes off as a bit on the patronizing side when an entity that can spare so much more gives such a paltry sum. And for Ubisoft, 500,000 is a paltry sum. Their execs probably get three times that just in holiday bonuses alone.

From the reports I'm reading, the donation amounted to 500 million between all of them rather than by each of them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

In the US, you can write off donations and not be taxed on them. Not sure what US companies donated, but keep that in mind. lol

Glad no one got hurt in this fire. I don't know much about it other than what my sister has told me. I don't want to see the footage. I have a thing for old architecture and hate to see it being destroyed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, CowBoii said:

In the US, you can write off donations and not be taxed on them. Not sure what US companies donated, but keep that in mind. lol

Trust me, I'd be just as critical of any US company as well off as Ubisoft that donated so little. Some, especially telecom giants like Viacom and AT&T, could probably finance the rebuilding by themselves and not see a dent in their bottom line.

In other news, the leading suspected cause of the fire is a short-circuit.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2019/04/18/police-official-short-circuit-likely-caused-notre-dame-fire/23714194/

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

LATEST RDR2 NEWS CLIPS

×
×
  • Create New...