Jump to content

Weather


Bag of Nuts
 Share

Recommended Posts

Yes, it does.  That screen where you see what time of day it is also shows the temperature.

I've always ignored it - every day and everywhere is short sleeves weather.  Arthur/John just eats more when he's cold - I never really bothered with different hot/cold outfits.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/14/2019 at 5:12 PM, Foxtrot said:

Yes, it does.  That screen where you see what time of day it is also shows the temperature.

I've always ignored it - every day and everywhere is short sleeves weather.  Arthur/John just eats more when he's cold - I never really bothered with different hot/cold outfits.

My understanding is that the cold and the heat effects the rate at which your cores drain and ho you dress helps or hinders that. Maybe I a wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/17/2019 at 1:55 AM, Foxtrot said:

Yep. Which is why he eats more in cold weather.  I've never really suffered hardship in going into snowstorms without a full winter outfit.

same, i always wore the free special edition outfit unless i got bored with it for some reason, then i'd switch to one of the trapper sets like the bandit or something.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2019 at 8:22 PM, kewlkiera said:

Image result for metric vs imperial globeHmmm... I think not, sir. 👀

America should be green also,  more are moving to metric.  Almost all cars use metric bolts and measurements, I can't remember the last time i used a standard wrench.  They're all still shiny and new in the toolbox, the metric are grubby and well used :)

 doctor's are now doing everything in metric, i just found out last week i weigh 120 kg and i'm 193 cm tall.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Kormath said:

America should be green also,  more are moving to metric.  Almost all cars use metric bolts and measurements, I can't remember the last time i used a standard wrench.  They're all still shiny and new in the toolbox, the metric are grubby and well used :)

 doctor's are now doing everything in metric, i just found out last week i weigh 120 kg and i'm 193 cm tall.

Yeah.....   America is a mixed bag but metric is a bigger part of people's lives here than some think.  ....although the impact can vary from person to person. 

As for cars, I would say most new cars are metric as legacy components give way to newer ones, etc.  I still have well used imperial as well as metric tools in my chests / cabinets but I've been buying and using those tools over the past 30+ years. 

Many things I work on around the house still use imperial but yeah, many things on my vehicles are metric even on my '10 Challenger (although there are still some imperial sized bolt heads, etc. too). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/22/2019 at 10:26 AM, Kean_1 said:

Yeah.....   America is a mixed bag but metric is a bigger part of people's lives here than some think.  ....although the impact can vary from person to person. 

As for cars, I would say most new cars are metric as legacy components give way to newer ones, etc.  I still have well used imperial as well as metric tools in my chests / cabinets but I've been buying and using those tools over the past 30+ years. 

Many things I work on around the house still use imperial but yeah, many things on my vehicles are metric even on my '10 Challenger (although there are still some imperial sized bolt heads, etc. too). 

i'm not very mechanically inclined. i can just do the basics like oil change and tire change and spark plugs and such.  On my '11 Jeep it's all metric that i've run into so far.

I rent now so i don't do much around the house like i used to.  most everything back then was screw drivers or metric on the appliances.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kormath said:

i'm not very mechanically inclined. i can just do the basics like oil change and tire change and spark plugs and such.  On my '11 Jeep it's all metric that i've run into so far.

That's a good example right there...  Many cars have been using standard imperial sized spark plugs for years like 5/8" or 13/16" for example.  I have to use a 5/8" socket to replace the 16 spark plugs in my 2010 Challenger R/T.   ......using my 3/8" socket wrench and extensions.  ;)   

This is one example of some legacy parts or sizing that tend to stick around in the automotive world while other components have made the switch.   ...but yeah, everything else so far has been metric on my Challenger as I recall up to this point.  I haven't needed to do any repairs on my car up to this point so it's just been brakes/rotors, filters, plugs, tire rotations, bulb changes and the installation of a Mopar CAI up to this point (about 100k miles).  

btw, my wifes 2008 Forester (one of the models made in Japan vs. Indiana) is all metric but it also has 5/8" spark plugs.   My '69 Charger is all imperial and my all original '86 4Runner is all metric from what I recall except the spark plugs which are 13/16" IIRC (22RE).  

I used to be a lot more active in major repairs on my vehicles but these days with my back and leg, it's simply not worth the pain.  In fact , I just paid my mobile mechanic to have a bushing replaced on my wife's LCAs and an axle that I would have happily done myself a few years back.  

 

1 hour ago, Kormath said:

I rent now so i don't do much around the house like i used to.  most everything back then was screw drivers or metric on the appliances.

My house is almost 30 years old.  I still find myself breaking out imperial wrenches for plumbing, lawn equipment, some appliances or other things that I might be working on.  

For the most part however, yeah, more stuff is metric these days than imperial. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/25/2019 at 11:46 AM, Kean_1 said:

I haven't needed to do any repairs on my car up to this point so it's just been brakes/rotors, filters, plugs, tire rotations, bulb changes and the installation of a Mopar CAI up to this point (about 100k miles).  

i have 105k now on my jeep.  I  haven't done any major repairs either, not that i could lol, mostly the basic maintenance and a few mods i've added to it for fun.   Was talking to my dad last night about this, he's way more into mechanics than i am.  He's adding new turbo and doodads to his Ram truck,  2500 turbo diesel , i think it's an '02 or '03, and he's been tinkering on his charger adding a few things.  It's an '07.  he didn't mention what he was doing on it.  Guess he wants to surprise us next time we're there.  He gets a kick out of modifying something then saying "hey you wanna drive the charger (or truck) up town with me?"  lol

Anyway, from what he remembers on all the cars and trucks he's owned things were mostly imperial until about the mid 70's when they started importing more parts.  His old Dodge '73 PowerWagon is a good mix of metric and imperial.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Kormath said:

i have 105k now on my jeep.  I  haven't done any major repairs either, not that i could lol, mostly the basic maintenance and a few mods i've added to it for fun.   Was talking to my dad last night about this, he's way more into mechanics than i am.  He's adding new turbo and doodads to his Ram truck,  2500 turbo diesel , i think it's an '02 or '03, and he's been tinkering on his charger adding a few things.  It's an '07.  he didn't mention what he was doing on it.  Guess he wants to surprise us next time we're there.  He gets a kick out of modifying something then saying "hey you wanna drive the charger (or truck) up town with me?"  lol

Yeah.....  Fun times.  I used to love wrenching on my carss but age and old injuries have caught up to me.

 

28 minutes ago, Kormath said:

Anyway, from what he remembers on all the cars and trucks he's owned things were mostly imperial until about the mid 70's when they started importing more parts.  His old Dodge '73 PowerWagon is a good mix of metric and imperial.

Curious.....  I recall running into more of those hybrid scenarios with late 70's and 80's cars.  My Dad's '73 Sportsman van was all imperial from what I remember.  ....but then again, I can't recall what I had for lunch yesterday either.  ;)

Ugh.....  Most of the 70's were a bad time for cars.  ....even the early 80's.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Kean_1 said:

Curious.....  I recall running into more of those hybrid scenarios with late 70's and 80's cars.  My Dad's '73 Sportsman van was all imperial from what I remember.  ....but then again, I can't recall what I had for lunch yesterday either.  ;)

Ugh.....  Most of the 70's were a bad time for cars.  ....even the early 80's.  

I started my career as a motorcycle mechanic in the late 60's. 

American, Japanese and British bikes all had different standards. I have always had to maintain 3 different tool boxes, 3 separate sets of taps and dies, plus all of "special tools" that each manufacturer required. Torx bits were  just adding insult to injury.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...