I think buying collector maps is a bad investment

parkenman

I have stumbled across so many collector items and collected multiples of some items.  Those maps are expensive, and not worth the payoff.  I will never buy another one.

Actually, I think the bird egg maps might be worth it.  I have only found one by chance, at the burned out fort at the Civil War battlefield.  Took me a while to find it.  Kept getting the pulse but could not figure out where it was.  Finally did.

Lol.  Well maybe not.  I have Vulture, Goose, Egret, Loon, and Duck eggs all without maps.

Edited by parkenman

Pretty sure you can still make a profit off all the maps though obviously it’s much better if you can find items without them.

I’d say they’re definitely worth it at the start to get an idea of where things may be and they’re also worth it when you have to find specific things for challenges. Ultimately they’re a time saver and that always comes at a cost.

11 hours ago, parkenman said:

I have stumbled across so many collector items and collected multiples of some items.  Those maps are expensive, and not worth the payoff.  I will never buy another one.

Actually, I think the bird egg maps might be worth it.  I have only found one by chance, at the burned out fort at the Civil War battlefield.  Took me a while to find it.  Kept getting the pulse but could not figure out where it was.  Finally did.

Lol.  Well maybe not.  I have Vulture, Goose, Egret, Loon, and Duck eggs all without maps.

The maps cost less than $20 you get items that most are worth over 9$ each some are more and you get 6 to 15 in a set, 3 for each map, so you do make a profit and if you collect the whole set even better, thing is after you do some, you can remember those and go back after you sell the set to get them again and build another set.

I think the maps are important for the sacred collection stuff that are time sensitive and other things like daily challenges, like yeah you can stumble upon lots of stuff, but when you need 2 in this collection, 3 in another, 1 in that one, etc.. I find it best to just buy the maps, finish the set then sell it.

One day, some NPC rode by and gave me lip. So I tied him up with my reinforced lasso and looted him... he had a tarot card on him... 

If I was an **** completionist, I’d probably buy the maps. Since I’m happy enough wandering around and finding what I find I likely won’t bother...

really? The proper term for our backside equipment is censored?

Edited by The_Liquor
  • Haha 1

I find cards on bodies all the time.  Loot every body you possibly can.  I think I have even found other things on them.  But for sure, explore every structure you come across, even if it is total ruins.  You will most likely find something.  I was having a hard time locating something in a rundown mansion.  Was pulsing like crazy all over this room on the lower floor.  Finally I realized when I walked by the fireplace that it flashed Search Chimney, and sure enough I found one of the necklaces in there.

Edited by parkenman
Message said Chimney, not Fireplace

I say the maps help out but at the same time it would be nice if they could fix madam nazar to  where it recognizes what collectables you already have and when you buy maps the map shows the location to those items your still missing. I literally went 3 days buying the flower location maps and for 3 days it was same repetitive locations for plum flower, chocolate daisy and orchid. I literally had to youtube the blood flower location an agate flower location just to complete the set because none of the collector maps i had bought showed the locations and i had bought multiple maps in  those 3 days. It would be nice rockstar could patch a fix to that.

I guess it depends on the player. Some people just want to roam around and discover stuff naturally. Others like myself want to get to rank 20 as soon as possible because it really isn't my thing. But I want that lvl 20 collector horse. So the struggle is real. I"m sure I can watch a video, but I'm lazy. lol.

Edited by Savage_Reaper

11 minutes ago, Ozy8753 said:

I got to level 20 without buying any maps within a week.

I am at rank 10 only from looting people and maybe finding something during a bounty. I haven't even attempted the role really. BUT if I have to do it, I want to do it as quick as possible just to be done with it. I don't want to ride/walk around with the metal detector hoping to feel your controller vibrate aimlessly. Not knocking anyone that enjoys this aspect of the game, but it just isn't my bag. So for players like me, the maps help you finish quicker. 

Edited by Savage_Reaper

• 2 weeks later...

So I decided to buy the metal detector.  Great investment, imo.  I have found so many things with it.  These items don't have an obvious spot on the ground like those you can spot with Eagle Eye or even just looking around and noticing a little mound.  Will complete some sets surely with this.

The metal detector is definitely a great investment. I have found and sold no less that 7 coin sets alone using it, not to mention the various jewelry collections! Just completed another set of coins today along with a set of rings ($918 for these 2 sets).