Red Dead Redemption 2 General Chat

Lonestar

26 minutes ago, tadp0le said:

Welcome man.

I must say that "Cowbell Boys" sounds like some kind of male stripper group. Not sure if that is what you were going for or not lol

It comes from this SNL skit 

Our motto would be " We need more Cowbell!"

Edited by Urbane Ori
  • Like 1

Following the first hands-on preview event for Red Dead Redemption 2, a number of gaming publications have posted in-depth impressions gained from 2 hours of playtime. Each journalist approached writing their recount differently and thus details are spread out across multiple articles.

Here you'll find the most important details condensed into this one post. Note that we already covered the first-person mode separately.

World Persistence

rhodes2-800x450.jpg

One thing that Rockstar has been very openly pushing with Red Dead Redemption 2 is the depth and detail of the game world. This doesn't just extend to visuals - though these traits are present there in spades - but also in character interactions and the impact of your actions.

Moreso than in other games, even minor encounters can have some kind of echo as you progress. While usually helping the odd NPC on the side of the road will net you some XP and reputation points, here these acts will color your interactions with other characters.

Maybe that NPC went on to spread the word of your Samaritan act in a town, making others more likely to approach you with requests. They might also be friends with the local gunsmith, earning you a free weapon.

These minor encounters affect your reputation and are in turn affected by your reputation, meaning the possible combinations are many. Few players will have the exact same experience and in-game anecdotes will vary wildly, with some choices and actions having long-term effects.

Seamlessness

rhodes1-800x450.jpg

In the name of immersion and realism, Rockstar is making some concessions that may oppose traditional game design rules. In fact, some of these choices may even be outright inconvenient for some players. The lines between main quests, side activities and random encounters are blurred significantly, and the rules regarding how you come across some activities are obscure.

NPCs who may give you missions are marked on the minimap universally - there is no distinction between characters pertinent to main quests and those who only offer side missions or even less significant diversions.

Also, the game doesn't tell you which NPCs may potentially offer some kind of mission, however, you don't yet meet the requirements. This way it will potentially be easy to miss content organically, and if you're a completionist, you'll spend a lot of time on the wiki.

Distinct separations between types of quests, activities, and the characters that let you access them are a hallmark of game design and a significant accessibility feature, but they are also wholly unrealistic and somewhat immersion breaking. A common conclusion among the previews is that with Red Dead Redemption 2, Rockstar is willing to sacrifice much on the altar of realism and immersion.

On that note, it is possible to toggle the HUD on and off, in case you wish to play without any clutter on the screen.

Lots Of Animations

stdenis1-800x450.jpg

One way that Rockstar works towards maximum realism is through animations, and there is so much focus placed on this that it deserves its own mention.

The game is full of meticulously rigged and choreographed animations for absolutely everything. Dirt is present as a gameplay mechanic, meaning you'll need to clean your horse and your guns to maintain top performance, and just about every gun has its own cleaning animation. Depending on which direction you approach your horse from, Arthur's animations change dynamically.

For example, his bow is always stored on one specific side of the saddlebag. Instead of only getting the contextual pop-up when standing on that side, or Arthur walking around the horse to it, if you walk up to the steed from the other side, he'll stretch and lean over to fetch it. The musculature of the horse is almost creepily accurate and various different types of trot.

One might argue that there is no such thing as too much realism, but if there is, Rockstar definitely hit it. An interesting, um, detail, is that depending on the temperature of the area you are riding through, the scrotum of your horse will shrink or grow. Imagine having to animate that.

Inventory System

strawberry2-800x450.jpg

Rockstar put a lot of thought into how your horse will work in Red Dead Redemption 2. Beyond a great deal of customization, steeds will be your method of transport and your walking inventory.

On the one hand, unlike in other games, the "call horse" button won't be universal. Your mount's position will be persistently tracked, and it won't just despawn after a while - you need to be within earshot of the animal to be able to call it, and if you get separated, you'll need to retrieve the horse.

The horse also acts as a stash. Arthur's carry capacity and loadout are limited to keep with realism, however, one concession made is the unlimited inventory of the saddlebags. While on foot your weapons are limited, your whole arsenal is accessible from the horse, as are all your supplies, outfits and crafting materials.

Rockstar still hasn't released the second gameplay video that was promised when the first one was posted, and that will likely be our next source for any new gameplay information.

The post New Details From Red Dead Redemption 2 Previews appeared first on RDR2.

Read the full story

18 hours ago, Archbell said:

Put an "end" after "Cowbell" and you've got a stripper group.

I may be American but nothing makes me laugh more than British slang. 

16 hours ago, NewsBot said:

On the one hand, unlike in other games, the "call horse" button won't be universal. Your mount's position will be persistently tracked, and it won't just despawn after a while - you need to be within earshot of the animal to be able to call it, and if you get separated, you'll need to retrieve the horse.

Oh lawd... I need to make use of my memory. This will not end well folks. 

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 10:56 PM, elmZ said:

That is all it took you? Sheesh, just for the hatchet it took me like 6 hours cause I kept getting some kind of stupid glitch. The gun was no problem though.

For the gun I just went to the Amusement Park and unloaded, when the cops became overwhelming.  I would just jump of the side of the pier and swim under till they left.

The ax my son, who lives for YouTube, knew where everything to do and where to go.  So I flew through that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, YodaMan 3D said:

The ax my son, who lives for YouTube, knew where everything to do and where to go.  So I flew through that.

I always tell my girlfriend our son will be useful someday. She laughs, but when I'm too old to know what a YouTube is, he will save the day. I always mess with my parents with stuff online. Had my dad believing a "meme" was a virus once and he lost it cause he said there were memes all over Facebook. lol

Are they all done with the GTA stuff now? Like they won't be dropping anything else on us again, will they? Cause I no longer have my GTA V disc. Kind of sorta left it out where I should have and when my sister was over, her puppy got a hold of it. Needless to say, it ended up in the trash. 

On 9/27/2018 at 7:15 PM, redscrew said:

Are they all done with the GTA stuff now? Like they won't be dropping anything else on us again, will they? Cause I no longer have my GTA V disc. Kind of sorta left it out where I should have and when my sister was over, her puppy got a hold of it. Needless to say, it ended up in the trash. 

I think they are at this point, we are in October, only like 3 and a half weeks away. I doubt they will do anything else at this point.

With every major game release that doesn't have some kind of mandatory online date verification, it is inevitable that a couple of copies get out early.

However, none have gotten out quite as early as Red Dead Redemption 2 - as some new "rumors" would have you believe. A couple of photos circulating online suggest that one or more lucky fans are already playing the game. But are these images legitimate?

The news was first reported by Gearnuke, and no publication has offered a first-hand account of this since - everyone is quoting them. The fact that this rumor only has the one source is an immediate red flag.

Secondly, the photos aren't even in-game, but PlayStation menu shots showing previous play sessions for the game.

red-dead-redemption-2-leaked-1-370x800.j

Such images are, of course, infinitely easier to fake than something like an in-game menu, or a screenshot of gameplay that Rockstar hasn't released yet. If you actually have a leaked copy of this hugely anticipated game and you're willing to post images of it, wouldn't you be more flashy about it?

Other things don't add up either - it can't be from a review copy, since Rockstar doesn't send out copies of their games, but instead holds review events. It almost certainly isn't a developer, since they'd be playing with their jobs with nothing to gain. Red Dead Redemption 2 doesn't have any early access schemes, unlike some other games that offer certain pre-orders access to the game sooner.

If this is a copy that got out from a retailer before the street date, that retailer will be looking at a lot of flak. We're almost a month away from launch making this one of the most brazen violations of street date if it is that at all.

Additionally, Red Dead Redemption 2 almost certainly has a date-lock as many retailers ship physical pre-orders a day or two before street date. The images shared indicate that the system used is in online mode, which would lock out the game.

red-dead-redemption-2-leaked-2.jpg

However, on the very slight off-chance that this is legit and someone who isn't a dev or a journalist has already played the game, you should be very careful here on out with information related to Red Dead Redemption 2, since spoilers might begin to circulate.

As highly anticipated a game as this is, people in possession of such spoilers will be keen to share.

If you want strictly spoiler-free coverage of Red Dead Redemption 2 news leading upto and following release on the 26th of October, stick to our site, as we won't be publishing any such spoilers.

The post Beware Fake News: RDR2 Copies Have Not Leaked To The Public appeared first on RDR2.

Read the full story

• Thanks 1

On 10/4/2018 at 12:20 AM, Gh0stRyder said:

If they are legit, why post pictures like this? Post a video and prove it! This is 2018! If it is not in video format, I just don't believe it. Pictures are too damn easy to fake.

I am the same way. You can easily trick people with pictures. Remember that one dude on YouTube was claiming to have a copy of the new Bully game as well as RDR2? So many people (mostly kids) ate that up like candy. I have learned to trust facts over the years.

On 10/7/2018 at 12:54 PM, watery buffalo said:

You can easily pull a fast one with videos too. So many people are getting good at manipulating things. Kind of scary when you think about it. Almost every game has people who pretend to be playing the game before its release. 

What do you mean? The average smartphone user isn't exactly what the name implies. A lot of people these days, especially teens and young 20 somethings don't even know how to properly use the internet. They just know apps and social media as well as mindless google questions. 

Everything can be faked. Look at how TV has done it for years. 

I am not surprised people faked playing RDR2 earlier either. That has been a trendy thing to try and pull on people for like 10 years now with gaming. Ever since social media boomed, so have fabricated liars skills in photoshop. 

As the release of Red Dead Redemption 2 draws near, the hype that has been building for nerly two years now is just about set to boil over.

With just two weeks to go, Rockstar has started being more open with new information, we're getting new gameplay details, previews have uncovered even further specifics such as one particularly interesting tidbit about the map, and every now and then a leak springs in these final days.

But how anticipated is Red Dead Redemption 2, really?

Anticipation and other similar abstract metrics are difficult to quantify, but that's what analysts are here for - to attach numbers to things that have none. Mainly through surveys, Nielsen Holdings specializes in product popularity rankings, among other things, even before said products have launched.

gameanticipation-623x800.jpg

To give us an idea of where upcoming titles stand, surveys conducted throughout the year have ranked games with release dates between September and December 2018. These games were then given a score out of 100 - the higher the score, the more anticipated the game. Games were sorted into multiple categories based on availability.

Red Dead Redemption 2 came second in the multi-platform category with 97/100. The only game ahead of it by 2 points is Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 with 99/100. Considering the far-reaching mainstream appeal of the series, which has been around longer than Red Dead and has put out significantly more games that Red Dead, this isn't surprising. Instead, the fact that RDR2 is just 2 points behind is a significant achievement for Rockstar's upcoming Western epic.

gameplay2-800x450.jpg

Following Red Dead Redemption 2 are Battlefield V with 94/100, Fallout 76 with 92/100 and Assassin's Creed: Odyssey with 91/100. In the PS4 category, the recent Spider-Man exclusive unsurprisingly scored 100/100. Since Xbox One isn't strong in its exclusive games offering, the top ranking game - Forza Horizon 4 - only managed to score 84/100. On Nintendo Switch, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and Super Mario Party tied for first place with 98/100.

Red Dead Redemption 2 will be released soon, so we'll see how that anticipation translates into sales.

The post Red Dead Redemption 2 Ranked Second Most Anticipated Holiday Game appeared first on RDR2.

Read the full story

I just extended my leave of absence (had that baby) until November 4th. Granted, with a 4 year old and now a newborn in the house, there’s not a whole lot of time for gaming, but I’ll make it work. I will lose sleep for this game damnit! 

33 minutes ago, CMcC said:

I just extended my leave of absence (had that baby) . I will lose sleep for this game damnit! 

Like you're sleeping anyways right now...  Hell, I remember playing the first RDR when my son was an infant.  The trick is to have them lay on the boppy pillow while it's curled around you.  Then, you have your hands free to play while they sleep.

2 hours ago, Cokeyskunk said:

Yet, you literally must.  😁

I'm actually about to pick up F13 again because (a) it was free on PS Plus this month, and (b)there's huge xp/cp bonuses actibe. 

I need you, @Truth, @Freddie Mercury, @NthnButAGoodTime, & @TheHansonGoons to talk me down from the ledge on that one.

38 minutes ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

I'm actually about to pick up F13 again because (a) it was free on PS Plus this month, and (b)there's huge xp/cp bonuses actibe. 

I need you, @Truth, @Freddie Mercury, @NthnButAGoodTime, & @TheHansonGoons to talk me down from the ledge on that one.

10 minutes ago, Freddie Mercury said:

*Tries to think of a good reason why you shouldn't download a free game*.

ezgif-1-3d51e9b2f532.gif

I got nothing...

Wish you were on xbox, I'd join you for a couple rounds lol