In Defense Of The Black Arabian Horse

21 hours ago, MrPicard said:

I have a Kladruber as well and he's the most patient horse and I love taking him on a little tour around the map when I do my collector stuff, but he's no match for the Arabian when it comes to speed and agility. Still tho, it's not a bad horse to buy at all. The Black Arabian has a few quirks but honestly, I've spent a lot of time with mine now and he hardly ever bucks me or runs off scared. He's a good little horse. (He IS smaller than other horses, not gonna lie, but hey, not every horse can be a Shire. lol) Just be patient with yours if you decide to buy one - they do really achieve their best and most reliable behavior when fully bonded.

Fine, that's me sold - now the only choice is black or white (I have a black thoroughbred and am quite attached to him!).  Thank you for pushing me over the edge.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, SimonTemplar said:

Fine, that's me sold - now the only choice is black or white (I have a black thoroughbred and am quite attached to him!).  Thank you for pushing me over the edge.

You're welcome! I believe the White Arabian has slightly lower stats than the Black Arabian, just like it is in single player, but I've spent a lot of time with both horses, and you don't really notice the difference much in RDO. Temperament-wise they're both pretty much the same as well. And, as I mentioned before, the trick to not have the Arabian chase off into the distance once you dismount near an alligator or something is to a) try to shoot all alligators in sight - lol - and b) whistle immediately when you dismount so that, even if he runs, he comes right back and c) calm him IMMEDIATELY when you see wolves or cougars - before you even draw your gun, calm the horse and he won't buck you (he WILL buck you if you let the predators come too close, of course, but then, so does the Turkoman, there's really not much of a difference here in my experience). Have fun with your new horse buddy, and let me know how it goes!

• Like 1
16 hours ago, MrPicard said:

You're welcome! I believe the White Arabian has slightly lower stats than the Black Arabian, just like it is in single player, but I've spent a lot of time with both horses, and you don't really notice the difference much in RDO. Temperament-wise they're both pretty much the same as well. And, as I mentioned before, the trick to not have the Arabian chase off into the distance once you dismount near an alligator or something is to a) try to shoot all alligators in sight - lol - and b) whistle immediately when you dismount so that, even if he runs, he comes right back and c) calm him IMMEDIATELY when you see wolves or cougars - before you even draw your gun, calm the horse and he won't buck you (he WILL buck you if you let the predators come too close, of course, but then, so does the Turkoman, there's really not much of a difference here in my experience). Have fun with your new horse buddy, and let me know how it goes!

Ooh, hadn't realised that - fine might as well go all in and get the Black Arabian, will pick him up tonight.  I do like the Kladruber - it's a bit like driving a chunky 4x4, rarely seems to have to slow down for anything and feels very stable, but will be nice to experience the RDR high performance end of the market.  Was going to take the plunge last night, but hadn't realised that another stable stall would be $750 (ouch!) so once I had done that I was a couple of hundred short of the horse.  I'll get Cripps to get his rear in gear this evening and get the Arabian.  Thank you for the assist.

(Need a cowboy tipping hat emoji here)

1 hour ago, SimonTemplar said:

Was going to take the plunge last night, but hadn't realised that another stable stall would be $750 (ouch!) so once I had done that I was a couple of hundred short of the horse. 

The Black Arabian is a gold only purchase, unless they changed that?

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, CosmoKramer said:

The Black Arabian is a gold only purchase, unless they changed that?

No idea tbh, didn't look - once the $750 for the stall dropped my bank below $800 I knew I wouldn't be able to afford an elite horse so left to do some bounty hunting.  Fortunately the seem to have fixed the glitch with daily challenges resetting (certainly I am at 24 currently, couldn't get past nine for weeks previously!) so gold is no longer an issue.  In my camp, we use gold bars to stabilise wobbly table legs.  Thanks for the warning, though.

7 hours ago, SimonTemplar said:

No idea tbh, didn't look - once the $750 for the stall dropped my bank below $800 I knew I wouldn't be able to afford an elite horse so left to do some bounty hunting.  Fortunately the seem to have fixed the glitch with daily challenges resetting (certainly I am at 24 currently, couldn't get past nine for weeks previously!) so gold is no longer an issue.  In my camp, we use gold bars to stabilise wobbly table legs.  Thanks for the warning, though.

It depends on which Arabian you want - the White Arabian can be purchased with money (I believe it's $850 or something), the Black Arabian only with gold.

• Like 1
On 11/8/2019 at 6:37 PM, MrPicard said:

It depends on which Arabian you want - the White Arabian can be purchased with money (I believe it's $850 or something), the Black Arabian only with gold.

Thanks, I'm stuck with gold as I'll go with the black - I'd be buying purely for the stats, to sample a meta horse, I have others I already love (palomino chestnut thoroughbred or something being my favourite - dappled chestnut brown coat with white mane and tail - best all-rounder I have found so I keep going back to him.  So I'll get the Black Arabian and bypass the white altogether.  Thanks for the clarification; I'm rarely at the stables, for some reason, and never go to websites surrounding the game as I try to stay immersed.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Got the Black Arabian, have had him for a little while now so as to get him fully bonded and sample him across a range of activities.  Have to be honest - I completely love it and haven't ridden the Kladruber or Thoroughbred in a fortnight.  I haven't been bucked once, have done legendary bounties and hunted big game, the speed is unreal and the size suits my nattily-dressed cowboy look very well.  Hadn't expected NPCs to keep saying 'that's one nice horse, mister', which provides bonus entertainment.  But anyway - for me it was well worth the 42 Gold and is my new go to horse.

(Although my daily challenge streak is around 50, now, so between that and various missions gold is pretty much piling up around me.)  But the headline is - great horse, thank you, @MrPicard, for pushing me over the edge into a purchase.  I'll never need another horse!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SimonTemplar said:

Got the Black Arabian, have had him for a little while now so as to get him fully bonded and sample him across a range of activities.  Have to be honest - I completely love it and haven't ridden the Kladruber or Thoroughbred in a fortnight.  I haven't been bucked once, have done legendary bounties and hunted big game, the speed is unreal and the size suits my nattily-dressed cowboy look very well.  Hadn't expected NPCs to keep saying 'that's one nice horse, mister', which provides bonus entertainment.  But anyway - for me it was well worth the 42 Gold and is my new go to horse.

(Although my daily challenge streak is around 50, now, so between that and various missions gold is pretty much piling up around me.)  But the headline is - great horse, thank you, @MrPicard, for pushing me over the edge into a purchase.  I'll never need another horse!

You're very welcome - I'm glad you're enjoying your new horse buddy so much! The horse does have some of the best stats in the game for a reason, and if you know how to handle it the whole skittish-ness all but disappears as well. And yeah, I forgot to mention that NPCs randomly compliment you when you're riding the Black Arabian. My favorite thing one of them said to me once was "That horse looks better than my wife." LMAO!

• Haha 1

I had Red Arabian from Ps4 and then bought the black arabian (female so I could say "Your allright girl").

I bought it as a farewell to the game almost... I'm like.. yeah.. the game has gotten really bad... It was around the time they made everyone invisible and the game was tanking for a bit... But I like it now..

So I bought the female black arabian and I loved it... someone had a white arabian and griefed me... I could see his horse like a christmas tree as I chased him... I knew then I wanted a black arabian and black clothing for combat.

Now since the role addition I have bought a male Breton.   It seems to be as fast with much more stamina , etc. 

My black arabian might be fun for a day.. but I really dont have any use for it anymore.

I have bought less than 100 gold bars... but buying my black arabian was one use.. My breton I paid with $900 currency.

Breton is much tougher also... Weve survived dynamite a few times.  Its a war horse.

5 hours ago, Darconios said:

I had Red Arabian from Ps4 and then bought the black arabian (female so I could say "Your allright girl").

I bought it as a farewell to the game almost... I'm like.. yeah.. the game has gotten really bad... It was around the time they made everyone invisible and the game was tanking for a bit... But I like it now..

So I bought the female black arabian and I loved it... someone had a white arabian and griefed me... I could see his horse like a christmas tree as I chased him... I knew then I wanted a black arabian and black clothing for combat.

Now since the role addition I have bought a male Breton.   It seems to be as fast with much more stamina , etc. 

My black arabian might be fun for a day.. but I really dont have any use for it anymore.

I have bought less than 100 gold bars... but buying my black arabian was one use.. My breton I paid with $900 currency.

Breton is much tougher also... Weve survived dynamite a few times.  Its a war horse.

Interesting.  I find the Breton a bit slower than the Arabian, and an awful lot less nimble.  I use a Kladruber for collecting and hunting, often, as it's sturdy and doesn't trip, but I have never found the Arabian to be not tough enough and the pace and handling advantage it gives me offsets any skittishness, for me.  Great that we have so many choices, though.

(Mine is a male Black Arabian - he has to be as I have to call him 'Festive Jim'.  I know.)

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, SimonTemplar said:

Interesting.  I find the Breton a bit slower than the Arabian, and an awful lot less nimble.  I use a Kladruber for collecting and hunting, often, as it's sturdy and doesn't trip, but I have never found the Arabian to be not tough enough and the pace and handling advantage it gives me offsets any skittishness, for me.  Great that we have so many choices, though.

(Mine is a male Black Arabian - he has to be as I have to call him 'Festive Jim'.  I know.)

Yep lots of good ones to choose from , I have my black Arabian named persius Lord of the marsh. 😀 just my honest opinion but none match his speed with the right saddle and stirrups and his maneuverability can't be touched. I've been bucked one time since I've had him. 2 grizzlys charging us.  He lit out on me but I didn't blame him. 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Since I last replied, I decided to spend a few days with my level 4, rank 20, $950 kladruber. OMG, I've never been bucked so much. He even bucked me AFTER  I killed a charging cougar.  A rabbit sneezes and he bolts! 

Tried wolfman legendary, was nearly impossible with the 'ruber. 

Ditched him and grabbed the trusty black Arabian, and even with wolves nipping at his hooves, he never bucked me off. 

Moral: Black Arabian being a scaredy cat is a myth. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Freakshow9191 said:

I've heard the whole "the Black Arabian is too skittish" thing from people who have never actually OWNED a Black Arabian. I'm like "how do you know, then" and the reply is "everybody says that". I guess that's how myths are formed indeed...!

Glad you're having a great time with your buddy tho - I've had the very same experience, my trusted Black Arabian also almost never bucks me off unless I REALLY test his patience... and then it's my own fault for not taking quick enough care of whatever it is that's chasing us.

• Thanks 1
20 hours ago, Freakshow9191 said:

Since I last replied, I decided to spend a few days with my level 4, rank 20, $950 kladruber. OMG, I've never been bucked so much. He even bucked me AFTER  I killed a charging cougar.  A rabbit sneezes and he bolts! 

Tried wolfman legendary, was nearly impossible with the 'ruber. 

Ditched him and grabbed the trusty black Arabian, and even with wolves nipping at his hooves, he never bucked me off. 

Yeah, I've grown quite fond of my Kladruber, but she sure is a bit of a nervous nelly.

I do like the way she feels though, with the max health and stamina, slightly clunky, but still quite fast when needed. I'll probably go back to her, but - partially because of this discussion - I decided to get a black Arabian last night. Still have to put him through his paces, but certainly doesn't seem more skittish than the Kladruber so far, and the agility is a plus.

I do wish it was slightly bigger though. I do a lot of hunting, and the turkeys damn near drag through the grass... :)

RDR 004.jpg

Edited by flu007
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, flu007 said:

I decided to get a black Arabian last night. 

I do wish it was slightly bigger though. 

Awesome!  Hope you enjoy her/him.

You get the Nacogdoches with it? 

The combo of acceleration, speed, handling makes them them the quickest way to get around, or chase things down.  They're under the "Superior" tab for a reason. 

I do love my 'ruber, it's the gray/silver with black legs. Beautiful.   But now only use her for a quiet Sunday drive. 

1 hour ago, Freakshow9191 said:

Awesome!  Hope you enjoy her/him.

You get the Nacogdoches with it? 

The combo of acceleration, speed, handling makes them them the quickest way to get around, or chase things down.  They're under the "Superior" tab for a reason. 

I do love my 'ruber, it's the gray/silver with black legs. Beautiful.   But now only use her for a quiet Sunday drive. 

Yep, already had the nacho saddle on the Kladruber, moved it to the Arabian for now. Suppose I should get them one each for easier switching, not like I'm strapped for cash.

And "a quiet Sunday drive" is about 90% of my non-mission free roam time, heheh. I often ride to my destination at "Eagle Eye speed" - if that makes sense - with the .22 cal in my hand and pop all the small game that moves, heheh. Gotta keep that satchel full! And for that, the Kladruber feels a bit more right. But indeed, the accelleration and handling of the Arabian certainly have their advantages.

For speed I'm going by what the stats say when i bench my black arabian for the lvl 20 BH Breton which Im guessing is the one everyone is talking of here.

The Stamina bar goes down so much slower.. I hardly have to pet her at all for long runs... but Im far more inclined to fast travel now that the game has reason to it again.

I loved my Arabian.. I would say it was the best horse in the game pre-update... but Id be torn to go back to it.

Maybe I'll buy a female Breton.... I thought we needed horses to pull our wagons... otherwise I may never have upgraded or switched.

I never tried breaking them in.. I saw a video that said its quickest to bond with them by leading them... So if you walk your horse from Blackwater to Rhodes.. You'll have bonded to level 4.  That's how I did it this time also.

Edited by Darconios

i never enjoyed much the Arabian, and had great expectation on Turkoman, but now that I have my Turkoman on level 4 and know it better, i'm back to Arabian. the Turkoman is by far the worst horse in the game. it's so bad that it's basically useless. the damn horse is always dead. it dies if you end a mission not mounted, sometimes it dies if you fast travel, and the stupid animal dies every single time you log out of the game. it is utterly hideous at a point that i find it an in game fraude.

5 minutes ago, NeKryXe said:

i never enjoyed much the Arabian, and had great expectation on Turkoman, but now that I have my Turkoman on level 4 and know it better, i'm back to Arabian. the Turkoman is by far the worst horse in the game. it's so bad that it's basically useless. the damn horse is always dead. it dies if you end a mission not mounted, sometimes it dies if you fast travel, and the stupid animal dies every single time you log out of the game. it is utterly hideous at a point that i find it an in game fraude.

That must be a bug, though. Can't really blame the poor horse for that. :)

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, flu007 said:

That must be a bug, though. Can't really blame the poor horse for that. :)

i know that all horses are different in the game. and since it only happens with the hateful Turkoman, I can. I already had about 8 to 10 horses on the game and nothing compares to this. it is so bad that i already asked rockstar for the in game money back or the refund of the real money to quit the game. as i said, it feels like a fraud.

one thing i'm sure... if i have the luck to get back the $950, i will never buy again a Turkoman in the game. in fact, probably i'll never spend more than 200$ on a horse. too risky. it doesn't even make much sense to waste that money since my first free Tennessee Walker was way better, faster and even stronger than my level 4 Turkoman.

Edited by NeKryXe
update
  • 2 months later...
On 12/14/2019 at 3:46 PM, NeKryXe said:

Definetly not true. The turk is one of the strongest horses in the game with a healthbar that ends up at 10/10 at lvl 4. One of the fastest too and not clumsy at all, just stupid like all RDR2-horses. The best allround horse in my opinion, a war-horse that can both race and go hunting, endless stamina and do not fart too badly