RDR2 PC controller support ?

AnnieGetURGuns

Happy to see PC version available for pre-purchase on Rockstar Launcher which I have already downloaded.  Before I buy it for my sister, does anyone know if this will have controller support or will it just be mouse and keyboard?  I am having a difficult time imagining how to be in a gunfight on horseback with only a mouse - (LOL) - spoiled by console playing, I suppose.  We do not have much experience with PC games so forgive us if this is an ignorant question. 

That would be great.  It would be nice to have both options.  I guess a lot of players really prefer mouse / keyboard but we just do not have much experience so would like to start with what we know and then experiment.  Based on all the extra stuff they are saying the PC version has, I think we are going to bite the bullet and buy it again so we have all of the versions. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AnnieGetURGuns said:

That would be great.  It would be nice to have both options.  I guess a lot of players really prefer mouse / keyboard but we just do not have much experience so would like to start with what we know and then experiment.  Based on all the extra stuff they are saying the PC version has, I think we are going to bite the bullet and buy it again so we have all of the versions. 

The consoles have keyboard support for some games I believe (current gen) so it would be a smart move. I can't imagine them not doing controller support, especially because games like this were first intended to be played on console. The control system is already there. 

• Like 1

I too would imagine they will have full on Controller support. So if you want to play it with a controller, just like you play it on the console with a controller, then you should be able to. I can't see why they would not. The PC version of GTA5 was fantastic. You could use both K+M and Controller. I would use the K+M when I was on foot, and/or shooting. Then pick up my XBONE Controller for driving my car. It worked seamlessly and on the fly. So I would bet it will be the same with RDR2. Though I never tired using the both simultaneously. Just one at a time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Volt said:

I too would imagine they will have full on Controller support. So if you want to play it with a controller, just like you play it on the console with a controller, then you should be able to. I can't see why they would not. The PC version of GTA5 was fantastic. You could use both K+M and Controller. I would use the K+M when I was on foot, and/or shooting. Then pick up my XBONE Controller for driving my car. It worked seamlessly and on the fly. So I would bet it will be the same with RDR2. Though I never tired using the both simultaneously. Just one at a time. 

I gotta try that. I never thought to use both. You using the standard controller from xbone? I have one of them pdp ones for when I am at the computer. I find it works better than the licensed xbone one I have. 

• Like 1

It's the Xbox Wireless Controller. Though it's connected with a usb cable. It works fine for me with other games; DarkSouls, Surge, etc. Though I use K+M for FPS games. I personally like the PS4 controller  better. It feels a tad bit smaller. And it's easier for me to use the bumper buttons on the PS4 Controller, than the XBox controller. But I think that's from the many hours playing games on the PS4.

I have tried using the PS4 controller on the PC. That works. Though the rumble function might not work. BUT, it gets confusing for me to use when all the in game help, and buttons refer to Xbox buttons (A,B,X,Y) while I'm looking at the PS4's buttons (Sqaure, Triangle, Circle, X). Which is horrible for me when I'm learning to play something. So I got a XBOX controller to help with that. I feel old. ;)

• Like 2

On 10/11/2019 at 4:11 PM, Volt said:

I have tried using the PS4 controller on the PC. That works. Though the rumble function might not work.

Don't they make PS4 controllers specifically for PC? I could have sworn some brands had them. I know the licensed Sony ones have some issues but work. 

• Like 1

i think it should be available (based on GTA V) however i really wanna know if itll just be xbox controller support cause i really dont know, i play on playstation. for games such as these ive never understood keyboard and mouse play as with special mechanics such as flying or now horseriding i never saw it possible i mean i managed to land an avenger upside down and i was on controller i just dont see how keyboard and mouse will work with horses.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2019 at 5:48 PM, redscrew said:

Don't they make PS4 controllers specifically for PC? I could have sworn some brands had them. I know the licensed Sony ones have some issues but work. 

I don't recall seeing anything official with that. I think I have seen 3rd party controllers at Fry's that look like a PS4 controller, for use on the PC. Here is a guide with setting that up. You also need to use a free 3rd party program DS4Windows.

https://www.pcgamer.com/how-to-use-a-ps4-controller-on-pc/

• Like 2

On 10/19/2019 at 2:16 PM, Volt said:

I don't recall seeing anything official with that. I think I have seen 3rd party controllers at Fry's that look like a PS4 controller, for use on the PC. Here is a guide with setting that up. You also need to use a free 3rd party program DS4Windows.

https://www.pcgamer.com/how-to-use-a-ps4-controller-on-pc/

This is what I was talking about: 

71Xh3jA2emL._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.571b19196a67c174f5ba2b79d8e7c916.jpg

I couldn't remember the name of it by a friend of mine owns one and he says it works great. A bit pricey but it is licensed. 

• Like 1

I plan on using the Xbox controller for Red Dead Redemption 2. Most games that I play the controller is the better option for me. Other games, keyboard and mouse is the way to go. 

I could be wrong, but I think that those who wish to use the PS4 controller on PC will have to map out their buttons since it only auto ports on Xbox controllers. Maybe someone who uses the PS4 controller on PC can confirm. 

Edited by Vendetta
  • Like 1

It will be supported. I can 100% guarantee it. A lot of PC games have support and more are getting it. It is a good feature to have for people who don't like the keyboard and mouse feel when it comes to this style of game. 

• Like 1

On 10/24/2019 at 3:38 AM, redscrew said:

71Xh3jA2emL._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.571b19196a67c174f5ba2b79d8e7c916.jpg

I couldn't remember the name of it by a friend of mine owns one and he says it works great. A bit pricey but it is licensed. 

Thank you for this.  I have just ordered one which arrives tomorrow so .. hopefully will be all set by release day.  Cannot wait to play.  ;  )  

• Like 1

On 10/26/2019 at 6:26 AM, Vendetta said:

I plan on using the Xbox controller for Red Dead Redemption 2. Most games that I play the controller is the better option for me. Other games, keyboard and mouse is the way to go. 

I could be wrong, but I think that those who wish to use the PS4 controller on PC will have to map out their buttons since it only auto ports on Xbox controllers. Maybe someone who uses the PS4 controller on PC can confirm. 

You can use a PS4 controller on the PC. I tried that a few years back, The guides I saw said I needed to use a free program DS4 to get it to work.

http://ds4windows.com/

It worked. It treats the PS4 controller just like a XBOX controller. But there was no rumble support at the time. And all in game support still references the XBOX button scheme; X,Y,A,B. That was a little confusing for me when I'd look at the PS4's button Square, Triangle, X, Circle. I ended up getting a XBONE controller.

Note: The link above says it now supports rumble. I should try it out again. I have 1 XBONE controller, and several PS4 controllers. I also have a PS4.

I saw this video guide on how to use it.

• Like 2

Tomorrow is the big day.  I have both types of controllers now so will see which one works better for us.  I am way more familiar with PS controller layout than XBOne so it might be a bit of a learning curve if the XBOne turns out to be better - It will all be new for us any way as we are newbies when it comes to PC gaming in general.  ;  )    

Cannot wait to see the graphics and new missions / treasure maps etc.  This game just keeps giving and for us it was the best gaming investment we have ever made. 

• Like 1

On 10/24/2019 at 3:38 AM, redscrew said:

71Xh3jA2emL._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.571b19196a67c174f5ba2b79d8e7c916.jpgth

Can I just say that this is ONE NICE CONTROLLER ... bought it for my laptop to play RDR2 later today when it releases and I have to say after doing some tests with it .. I might actually use this for my PS4 as well.  Really comfortable and they really spared no expense on the packaging.  Comes with an excellent protective case.  I may have to buy another one ... LOL

• Like 3

17 hours ago, AnnieGetURGuns said:

Can I just say that this is ONE NICE CONTROLLER ... bought it for my laptop to play RDR2 later today when it releases and I have to say after doing some tests with it .. I might actually use this for my PS4 as well.  Really comfortable and they really spared no expense on the packaging.  Comes with an excellent protective case.  I may have to buy another one ... LOL

17 hours ago, AnnieGetURGuns said:

I've been using it for months now on ps4 it's much better than the ps4 controller plus you can use 4 different profiles for 4 weapons & change them on the fly, I brought it also to use on the PC.

• Like 1

I had no issue with my controller connecting. 😊

Haven't had much time to play it yet though. My internet was out most of the day and keeps coming and going. Just waiting for the company to call back so everything can be reset.  

• Like 1