How will they prevent cheating/hacks?

I have played GTA V online (on PC) long enough to know there is a cheating/hacking problem with the lobbies. This is something that worries me. I don't want to buy the game and have to deal with this crap after having spent my money. I played the story on console already so my main interest for getting the game on PC is to play it online. How is Rockstar going prevent this kind of mess from happening?

There's even people that cheat and find / use exploits on console.  My point is that people will always find ways.  I know PC can be much worse in this respect as games tend to be much more vulnerable to hacks, etc.

All I can say is that R* is just barely releasing even some of the more basic details about the game at this point so everyone is still waiting for more information.  I'm sure hacking is something they are well aware of and (hopefully) will address concerns before release.  

I'm quite curious about this too. I understand it's a pretty major issue on the PC version of GTA 5 and I hope that they can change things and take their learnings to lessen it for the PC version of RDR2.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, xsugarskull said:

I have played GTA V online (on PC) long enough to know there is a cheating/hacking problem with the lobbies. This is something that worries me. I don't want to buy the game and have to deal with this crap after having spent my money. I played the story on console already so my main interest for getting the game on PC is to play it online. How is Rockstar going prevent this kind of mess from happening?

As Kean said even on console there are cheaters and hax, pc will be way worse for sure, no matter what code they write it is just code, and someone else can write more code to circumvent it.

If that is an actual concern, get it on console, honestly, unless you have a very serious gaming rig, I mean something that will cost you upwards of $2500 you wouldnt get a great experience anyway unless you downgraded everything and honestty, the optimized version on console for $450 is going to be very tough to beat.

If you are going to spend the money to optimize a pc or build or buy a new one, yes the possibility of cheats and haxors will likely be a problem.

You can get a much better gaming experience with a solid pc but not for $450, lol not even close.

Ive built dozens of gaming rigs for tons of games, but today, what you can achieve on a console and a 4k tv dollar for dollar the console is the best way to go.

A pc to run this game better than a ps4 or xbox one is going to cost 3 to 4 x as much as a console and you then still need a 4k tv or monitor.

I play on a 70" 4k flat screen tv and woudl never ever go back to a monitor, I can punch my pc out to it, but lol it wont even run 1/2 as good as it does on my xbox because my current pc is not a gamer, to make it a gamer I woudl have to spend around $1500 minimum so, it just doesnt make sense to me at this point.

If you are lucky enough to have a serious gaming rig that can eat this game up at 4k graphics over 60 fps even in St Denis with fire and players on screen, then I applaud you and can say, I am jealous.

Edited by lumper
1 hour ago, lumper said:

As Kean said even on console there are cheaters and hax, pc will be way worse for sure, no matter what code they write it is just code, and someone else can write more code to circumvent it.

This is the reason I stop playing GtaO for the p.c.

I kept running into the same hacker over & over again. I recorded him cheating, put the video on yt & sent it as a complaint to R*. Basically R* replied back & did nothing about it.

I decided to see if I could find the hacker's gamertag online & found that the hacker had a YT channel & a website selling his hacks for GtaO

Curious on what the website had to say. When I looked at the hacker's website. I noticed  R* would patch his hacks with new updates & on the hacker's website he would mark the old hack as detected. But it only took him a few days to hack the new update & put the new hacks up on his website for all to buy. I followed the website for a couple more updates & saw no progress in R* preventing him from creating new hacks.  So at that point I stop playing GtaO. Since every server I joined someone was using godmode hack.

As lumper says "no matter what code they write it's just code, & someone else can write more code to circumvent it.

p.c. is a lot easier to hack, since players are allowed access to the game's directory files.

So I refuse to buy a game that I will play online for the p.c.

9 hours ago, lumper said:

If that is an actual concern, get it on console, honestly, unless you have a very serious gaming rig, I mean something that will cost you upwards of $2500 you wouldnt get a great experience anyway unless you downgraded everything and honestty, the optimized version on console for $450 is going to be very tough to beat.

If you are going to spend the money to optimize a pc or build or buy a new one, yes the possibility of cheats and haxors will likely be a problem.

You can get a much better gaming experience with a solid pc but not for $450, lol not even close.

Ive built dozens of gaming rigs for tons of games, but today, what you can achieve on a console and a 4k tv dollar for dollar the console is the best way to go.

A pc to run this game better than a ps4 or xbox one is going to cost 3 to 4 x as much as a console and you then still need a 4k tv or monitor.

I play on a 70" 4k flat screen tv and woudl never ever go back to a monitor, I can punch my pc out to it, but lol it wont even run 1/2 as good as it does on my xbox because my current pc is not a gamer, to make it a gamer I woudl have to spend around $1500 minimum so, it just doesnt make sense to me at this point.

If you are lucky enough to have a serious gaming rig that can eat this game up at 4k graphics over 60 fps even in St Denis with fire and players on screen, then I applaud you and can say, I am jealous.

I think the same. 

Xbox 1 X is my first console ever (im not counting pegasus :P) that ive bought only to play RDR 2. I always had and played PC and yes it costs a lot of money to keep it upgraded enough for games. Then every 2 years you have to change.  

I am amazed how the console performs. THe graphics are great and it super cheap. Loads fast, dont have errors like PC, its not that loud and uses less power. 

I will never ever buy a gaming PC anymore.     I will just upgrade my console when they release new models (2020 xmas new X box more powerfull than PS 5). 

14 hours ago, James Hickok_1837 said:

I think the same. 

Xbox 1 X is my first console ever (im not counting pegasus :P) that ive bought only to play RDR 2. I always had and played PC and yes it costs a lot of money to keep it upgraded enough for games. Then every 2 years you have to change.  

I am amazed how the console performs. THe graphics are great and it super cheap. Loads fast, dont have errors like PC, its not that loud and uses less power. 

I will never ever buy a gaming PC anymore.     I will just upgrade my console when they release new models (2020 xmas new X box more powerfull than PS 5). 

To be clear also, you can easily play on a lesser pc and enjoy the game.

I only play games I can see in 4k, I really enjoy the evolution of graphics, from Pong which I literally owned in 1976 to RDR2, I have played them all, seen the milestone games that changed everything as they came out and for me, it is the never ending adventure of experiencing the next best thing with graphics.

So for me to play the game on a pc and have to clock it down to say 800x600or 1024x768 for the sake of frame rates, Im out right there, lol.

I have no desire to go backwards.

Many people have good gaming rigs that will eat the game up at 1024x768, but to me, Im already getting 30fps at 4k on a console, so unless I can do better, Im not interested, and therefore wont be able to enjoy the pc release for a few years, thats just me.

Edited by lumper
21 hours ago, C20Dragon said:

This is the reason I stop playing GtaO for the p.c.

I kept running into the same hacker over & over again. I recorded him cheating, put the video on yt & sent it as a complaint to R*. Basically R* replied back & did nothing about it.

I decided to see if I could find the hacker's gamertag online & found that the hacker had a YT channel & a website selling his hacks for GtaO

Curious on what the website had to say. When I looked at the hacker's website. I noticed  R* would patch his hacks with new updates & on the hacker's website he would mark the old hack as detected. But it only took him a few days to hack the new update & put the new hacks up on his website for all to buy. I followed the website for a couple more updates & saw no progress in R* preventing him from creating new hacks.  So at that point I stop playing GtaO. Since every server I joined someone was using godmode hack.

As lumper says "no matter what code they write it's just code, & someone else can write more code to circumvent it.

p.c. is a lot easier to hack, since players are allowed access to the game's directory files.

So I refuse to buy a game that I will play online for the p.c.

Yeah gtaV is insane with hax, glitches, cheats etc.. off the chain crazy, the only way I can even play it is either solo session or doing the test NAT thing, otherwise I die without ever knowing how or by who within minutes of joining any public session, and thats on xbox!!  I cant fathom how bad it is on pc, lol it has to be 10x worse based on past experiences with pc online games.

PC will always have more problems. If you are not classed in hacks/cheats, you can buy hacks from people who are. So you end up with a bunch of teens hacking the system and getting banned for it but the problem never truly being dealt with. I knew a dude who worked for a company. He was paid to exploit weaknesses in online games and they would create hacks and cheats based on them. 

On 10/10/2019 at 4:52 PM, CowBoii said:

It is bound to happen so I wouldn't let it hinder your purchase of the game. I am sure they will do what they can to at least keep it from getting out of hand. 

Im sure they will do the worst job possible.  Unless it involves players cheating/modding money..then they will do what ever they can to 'fix' it.

Alls I can say is fear the horse balls.  

I remember this from GTA O.  Sure it suck having modders ruin games.  But that video is beyond funny (OMG is sooo realistic *koff fake news)

I can see it now.  Modder teleports player to a barn and 50 horses just start running a train on someone. lmfao

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They honestly suck had preventing hacks or containing them. The only things they look for is basic cheating that hurts their revenue directly. Think about how they handled stuff in RDR2 on console as well as GTA V on both console and PC. They only focus on weak points of them losing money.

So the basis I am gathering on the topic is that they are bound to have issues with hackers and people who generally exploit the game, we just don't know how bad it will be. I didn't really mess around too much online on RDR2 (console) because of the issues they were having when it first released. I am still on the fence here. I'll have to wait it out I think.

On 10/12/2019 at 5:03 PM, xsugarskull said:

So the basis I am gathering on the topic is that they are bound to have issues with hackers and people who generally exploit the game, we just don't know how bad it will be. I didn't really mess around too much online on RDR2 (console) because of the issues they were having when it first released. I am still on the fence here. I'll have to wait it out I think.

Griefing on console in RDO is nowhere near what it is in GTAO.  Part of that is by nature a the game has a much slower pace.  The other part is due to the features and options R* has provided players to help mitigate the problem.  Yet another is the fact that griefing is actually encouraged and condoned in GTAO.  ......not so in RDO.

Money exploits, spawn camping after missions, etc. still exists but it's really not a show stopper IMO / IME and doesn't really directly affect the players so much if you handle the situation properly.  Some of those hacks have no affect on me personally so I simply report those that I might see and go on my merry way. 

How this changes in the PC version of the game will be interesting.

• Like 1

As long as they are prepared for it, I don't think it will be a wide spread problem. The more you play though the more you are bound to run into people hacking in the game so keep that in mind. Time will tell. The way I seen people complaining about cheaters for the console version, I give it a week before people are calling for a boycott over it lol

On 10/11/2019 at 8:32 AM, HuDawg said:

Im sure they will do the worst job possible.  Unless it involves players cheating/modding money..then they will do what ever they can to 'fix' it.

Alls I can say is fear the horse balls.  

I remember this from GTA O.  Sure it suck having modders ruin games.  But that video is beyond funny (OMG is sooo realistic *koff fake news)

I can see it now.  Modder teleports player to a barn and 50 horses just start running a train on someone. lmfao

LOL I forgot about that. "So realistic". Did these people even look at the videos? What a bunch of morons. Now you are making me hope for some kind of sick horse action just for laughs. The internet is a cruel mistress. haha

On 10/16/2019 at 11:50 AM, Kean_1 said:

Money exploits, spawn camping after missions, etc. still exists but it's really not a show stopper IMO / IME and doesn't really directly affect the players so much if you handle the situation properly.  Some of those hacks have no affect on me personally so I simply report those that I might see and go on my merry way. 

Yeah I don't care about this either. If people want to cheat for their own personal gain when it doesn't effect me directly, more power to them. I like a challenge and just look at people who do this as lazy.