Mods for PC

Anyone else looking forward to modding in the PC version? I know it's not yet confirmed we will even be able to, but traditionally Rockstar Games has not gone out of its way to stop it (and I think when they were playing around with anti-cheat measures for GTA Online actually said that single player mods are OK). I for one am looking forward to seeing what the creators come up with!

• Like 4

Hell yeah! I had a blast with some of the mods in GTA V other people have made. Makes for some pretty funny gameplay. I think they might try to control or contain it at first but they can't stop it entirely. Too many PC pros these days who know how to tinker games. 

I'm not a PC gamer anymore but I always look forward to what modders come up with in these games. I'm also not into RP (other than what the game provides) but I do find the world's those people create in the way of mods very cool.  

R* acknowledges and I believe welcomes what the modding community bring to the table in their games. They probably see it as a great opportunity for new and creative ideas to blossom as well as talent.  ......it's not unheard of for modders to be hired by companies for their work.

I would be shocked if R* doesn't allow modding in RDO although it may be some time before we see the tools made available.  I just hope folks are prepared for that in the event they are delayed a while.

Look at companies like NWI. It was essentially created by a group of modders using Half Life to create Insurgency. ....and now Insurgency Sandstorm which is it's own stand alone game and slated to arrive on console next Spring.

......good stuff and I'm glad companies like R* recognize the value of the modding community.

• Like 1
On 10/16/2019 at 10:53 AM, Kean_1 said:

I'm not a PC gamer anymore but I always look forward to what modders come up with in these games.

Not to take the topic off track here, but I am curious... What made you stop PC gaming? I don't hear of many people going off of it so I am wondering. 

Just now, MadMatt said:

Not to take the topic off track here, but I am curious... What made you stop PC gaming? I don't hear of many people going off of it so I am wondering. 

I've known several personally who made the switch at some point but age may have something to do with it. 

I used to build and game on PCs for years. I started out in arcades and with some of the first consoles on the market before PCs became more mainstream in the 80s.  

I made the switch sometime after the PS3 came out.  It was time once again for me to upgrade my PC and I simply decided to make the switch.  Frankly, I just got tired of the tweaking, constant purchases of new hardware every other year or so, etc.  I find consoles just more convenient.  I can plop down on my couch, turn on the game I want and I'm good to go.  We also use my PS4 as our entertainment center for Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.  

I do miss the milsim games and flight sims but I don't miss everything else about it.

• Like 1

I never played GTA (any title) but one streamer I watch messed around with GTA V mods for awhile and they were hilarious. I mean if this is going to be an option on RDR2, I can't wait to try them out! How exactly do you go about playing mods on these games? (assuming they allow them on RDR2)

On 10/17/2019 at 9:54 PM, Kean_1 said:

I've known several personally who made the switch at some point but age may have something to do with it. 

I used to build and game on PCs for years. I started out in arcades and with some of the first consoles on the market before PCs became more mainstream in the 80s.  

I made the switch sometime after the PS3 came out.  It was time once again for me to upgrade my PC and I simply decided to make the switch.  Frankly, I just got tired of the tweaking, constant purchases of new hardware every other year or so, etc.  I find consoles just more convenient.  I can plop down on my couch, turn on the game I want and I'm good to go.  We also use my PS4 as our entertainment center for Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.  

I do miss the milsim games and flight sims but I don't miss everything else about it.

I can understand that. You have to invest a lot up front if you don't want to keep updating every 2 years. I don't play many demanding games so I can get away with it for the most part but it does quickly burn a hole in your pocket and it is easier to just get a new console every 7 to 10 years then upgrading a PC 4 or 5 times in that time frame. 

7 minutes ago, MadMatt said:

I can understand that. You have to invest a lot up front if you don't want to keep updating every 2 years. I don't play many demanding games so I can get away with it for the most part but it does quickly burn a hole in your pocket and it is easier to just get a new console every 7 to 10 years then upgrading a PC 4 or 5 times in that time frame. 

......that was with a top end rig.  Thing is, with the advances in tech back then there always seemed to be something worth considering to upgrade every couple years or so especially video cards as they were progressing so rapidly.  Also, if you invested in the wrong chipset then you may inadvertently lick yourself in to the same CPU and memory unless of course you buy another board.   ....etc., etc.

The games were getting more demanding each year and tapping into the potential of the latest hardware.  It was a matter of "keeping up with the Joneses" for me that I got tired of.

• Like 1
On 10/15/2019 at 9:29 PM, Lonestar said:

Anyone else looking forward to modding in the PC version? I know it's not yet confirmed we will even be able to, but traditionally Rockstar Games has not gone out of its way to stop it (and I think when they were playing around with anti-cheat measures for GTA Online actually said that single player mods are OK). I for one am looking forward to seeing what the creators come up with!

I don't think Rockstar cares if you mod, provided that it is offline. 

• Like 1
On 10/24/2019 at 4:04 AM, Vendetta said:

I don't think Rockstar cares if you mod, provided that it is offline. 

Weren't GTA V mods able to be run online? I could have sworn this was the case but like I mentioned. I didn't play the game so I could have just misunderstood what I was watching. 

9 hours ago, Coyote said:

Weren't GTA V mods able to be run online? I could have sworn this was the case but like I mentioned. I didn't play the game so I could have just misunderstood what I was watching. 

I would think you could, but I never tried it. Anymore, I just get on GTA Online to hang out with friends that I have met throughout playing the game. 

Having had a blast with GTA mods, I can't wait to see what people can think up and create. I would be disappointed if R* decides to not allow mods. I mean, if they are offline only, I don't see the harm in allowing people to have some fun. 

• Like 1
On 10/26/2019 at 9:14 AM, Vendetta said:

I would think you could, but I never tried it. Anymore, I just get on GTA Online to hang out with friends that I have met throughout playing the game. 

Maybe there were workarounds for it then. I just watched other people stream what they were doing and got a kick out of it. 

• Like 1
On 10/29/2019 at 7:00 PM, Coyote said:

Maybe there were workarounds for it then. I just watched other people stream what they were doing and got a kick out of it. 

You can definitely mod online, there’s no question about that. There’s seems to a lot of people modding in GTA Online. 

• Like 1

My buddy made a joke about having a my little pony mod and people riding around  on them over the standard horses. I don't know if cars were able to be modded that much in GTA V but if they were, I can put money on it that someone is going to do it to these horses. Let's just pray they don't include the testicles. LOL!

On 10/23/2019 at 7:29 PM, Kean_1 said:

......that was with a top end rig.  Thing is, with the advances in tech back then there always seemed to be something worth considering to upgrade every couple years or so especially video cards as they were progressing so rapidly.  Also, if you invested in the wrong chipset then you may inadvertently lick yourself in to the same CPU and memory unless of course you buy another board.   ....etc., etc.

The games were getting more demanding each year and tapping into the potential of the latest hardware.  It was a matter of "keeping up with the Joneses" for me that I got tired of.

Oh yeah. Games hit a booming period the last 10 years so having a PC and keeping it up to date to handle a lot of the games out there has to have been a pain. I don't play very many AAA title games so it isn't a big deal for me. I play a lot of indy games and lower level dev games. RDR2 will be one of the most demanding games I have played I believe. 

• 2 weeks later...

Was hoping for dedicated servers with custom gameplay like the life servers for arma 3. Im guessing that might be a problem since the online structure is very different than arma 3. Was also hoping to fiddle with gun sounds and for fun have some old spagetti western over the top sounds. Sounds in rdr2 are good though, but for fun.

1 hour ago, Bob12 said:

Was hoping for dedicated servers with custom gameplay like the life servers for arma 3. Im guessing that might be a problem since the online structure is very different than arma 3. Was also hoping to fiddle with gun sounds and for fun have some old spagetti western over the top sounds. Sounds in rdr2 are good though, but for fun.

I would look to GTAO for any sort of precedent.  I know they have something similar but whether that is able to be possible in RDO is yet to be seen.