12/13/19 Moonshiner Update

Kean_1

15 hours ago, The_Liquor said:

I think you have to be Metal Gear level of stealthy to pull it off... In this game I tend to be more charge in guns blazing... But since blowing them up works I just go with that.

Same for me. Reached lvl 20 Moonshine already. I'm just curious how you poison your competitor without beeing noticed.

Edited by Herta47

15 hours ago, Herta47 said:

Same for me. Reached lvl 20 Moonshine already. I'm just curious how you poison your competitor without beeing noticed.

Its a bit tricky but not so hard when you take your time.    I personally failed only 2 of all my attempts to do it.    

When i arrive at the spot i hide and take my time to "learn" the patrol routes. I take out the patrols first alway using bow only. After that i mark the rest of the NPC's depending on their view points and execute the killing. In some locations (the barn) you dont have to kill all the guards - i just kill the 2 that cover the enterance to the barn and when the inside patrol cycles i poison the still and run away unspotted. 

As i said it's not that hard but you have to be patient to do it with stealth. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, James Hickok_1837 said:

Its a bit tricky but not so hard when you take your time.    I personally failed only 2 of all my attempts to do it.    

When i arrive at the spot i hide and take my time to "learn" the patrol routes. I take out the patrols first alway using bow only. After that i mark the rest of the NPC's depending on their view points and execute the killing. In some locations (the barn) you dont have to kill all the guards - i just kill the 2 that cover the enterance to the barn and when the inside patrol cycles i poison the still and run away unspotted. 

As i said it's not that hard but you have to be patient to do it with stealth. 

Thx. Now I know, I'm to impatient😝

• Haha 1

Start making mash...

Play poker = No mash progression.

Do Maggie mission = No mash progression.

Do any other mission = no mash progression.  (and risk mash reset and lose your money)

So what does that leave?  Hunting in free roam.  Oh, that's right, there's no animals to hunt.

Collect the same damn cards, bottles, flowers, jewelry... again. and again... *yawn*.

-or- sit on your keaster for 45-60 minutes doing nothing.  (I've started reading a book between runs)

Is this what R* intended with this role?  Do this and nothing else or all production progress stops?  What kind of bullsh*t is that?  Can't even go down to the local saloon and play some poker for an hour while you wait for Pepe la talks alot to finish the mash?  That's absolutely stupid.

bah. 

3 hours ago, PepinoGrande said:

With cost of mash $60 and a load of regular booze being worth $37.50 if you’re lucky enough to deliver the full load, how am I supposed to make money?

It’s not about the money... It’s about the Liquor... but seriously, it’ll get better when you start making the strong stuff. And the mash gets cheaper if you do the missions.

I deliver full  loads of whiskey almost entirely in CINEMATIC MODE... I never steer myself....

I always deliver 20/20

You are golden until checkpoint... then they will wave you through... or ask you to pull you over..

NEVER STOP!  Keep going.. always... If they told you to keep going.. they will not chase you.. the entire mission just by holding X button...

If they do tell you to pull over.. keep going.. they will start shooting too late to damage.

However.. if they told you to pull over they will eventually give chase... EXIT WAGON... bullets break bottles.  draw fire away from wagon by bailing.,

Kill, loot... drive again... back into CINEMATIC.. until you hear more chasers... bail.. kill. loot redrive.. cinematic...

20 out of 20.. every time.

Easy peezy... no steering every time.. no shooting half the time (when they let you through checkpoint).

$200+ per load/hour at max level.

Edited by Darconios

I have to say that I am fed up with the Moonshiner role already, a couple of the main quests I have had to do 2 or 3 times as the game crashes due to R* service error. It will be my 3rd time when I do the Death and Taxes one where you kill the Revenue boss Hixon, also I have had Moonshine just vanish so I have to create a new batch. There is still a shortage of animals or there is for me so can't really level the trader with any speed, already levelled Bounty Hunter and Collector so am pretty much stuck. I might have to give up on RDO and find another game to play. Rockstar have let themselves down on what should be an epic game, far too many bugs and as frustrating as hell. I am talking about all this happening on PS4 btw.

Im feeling you there partner ! 

The moonshiner role is bugged as hell - for me most annoying is i enter the shack and there are no NPC's inside. Sometimes i exit and enter 20 times and still no NPC's.... i get frustrated and go do something else to come back after 30 mins and encounter same problem. Mash resetting....... doesnt happen to me that often but i had one reset y-day. It took me 2 hours to make the mission and start the mash (no NPC.s) then it just reset. 

About the animals... I dont understand that it's been 4 weeks like that and they didnt fix it till now........ I am fed up so much with running around a dead world just to find some birds to hunt... wasting time.  My recommendation for the issue until they fix it is : Start a legendary bounty - Barbarella Alcazar and hunt there in solo lobby. You can call hunting wagon on that mission (not every mission gives you that option), fill the hunting wagon up , max out the pelts that you can hunt and then finish the mission or kill yourself. I hate to do this but its the only way to not waste time and progress trading until they do something to fix this. 

Im on X box btw. 

3 hours ago, Darconios said:

I deliver full  loads of whiskey almost entirely in CINEMATIC MODE... I never steer myself....

I always deliver 20/20

You are golden until checkpoint... then they will wave you through... or ask you to pull you over..

NEVER STOP!  Keep going.. always... If they told you to keep going.. they will not chase you.. the entire mission just by holding X button...

If they do tell you to pull over.. keep going.. they will start shooting too late to damage.

However.. if they told you to pull over they will eventually give chase... EXIT WAGON... bullets break bottles.  draw fire away from wagon by bailing.,

Kill, loot... drive again... back into CINEMATIC.. until you hear more chasers... bail.. kill. loot redrive.. cinematic...

20 out of 20.. every time.

Easy peezy... no steering every time.. no shooting half the time (when they let you through checkpoint).

$200+ per load/hour at max level.

I have a difrent approach to this :)

Never use auto drive (only if i need to take a sip from a beer bottle and i just use aim instead of view mode) i like to have control over the wagon. 

When im close to road block i stop the wagon and deliver 7 shots for my 7 friends - all dead before they start to shoot - Bolt action ofc. 

After i deal with the roadblock i continue to drive with mid speed to my delivery point use aim when i see the blips behind me and just headshot them as they come (the wagon drives itself bcoz im aiming at that time) - I bolt action them and they dont fire a single shot coz they get dropped from far distance (extra xp). 

That is my way. 

• Like 1

AS some of you know I play on PS4 and recently started playing on PC and I have to say I am suffering a lot less bugs and disconnects on PC than PS4. The trader role seems good again on PC while it still sucks on console, I have not noticed any of the so called fixes work infact in certain situations the game is actually more broken. One of the things that really annoys me is doing a Maggie Fike main mission, finishing it then while returning to the shack getting the Rockstar service fault and having to quit only to find on your return that you need to do the mission again only to find the bug happens again. I have done the Death and Taxes mission twice already and have to do it again. I have put in feedback to R* and am still waiting for a response, I used quite a bit of ammo in that mission and when I logged back in I noticed that had gone, don't get me started on the losing Mooshine and the Animal situation. The game at the moment is so broken and as frustrating as hell.

I drive my MS-wagon with one wapon in my hand. As soon I approach the red road block just keep driving and the red circle disappear and they let you pass. You get this option at MS lvl 19. It mostly works! 

Edited by Herta47

When I drive my wagon in CINEMATIC mode I never need to steer... so I usually leave the room and go do 1-2 bong hits while my wagon is self driving.  It is awkward to do a bong hit while holding the button.. but I manage a few one-handed tokes.

The volume tells me when I approached a checkpoint.. and I would NEVER just start shooting at them.. I did until I realized they let you drive past half the time.

HALF OF ALL MOONSHINE DELIVERY MISSIONS I COMPLETE ARE DONE WITHOUT FIRING ONE SHOT.  

If they send you through the checkpoint.. they never chase you...

Even if they say pull over.. they do not start shooting until its too late and youre gone.. you will never lose a bottle by running a checkpoint.

So... meanwhile I'm still getting high AF.

If I hear them say PULL OVER then I head back... and step on it... after a minute you will hear voices.. I then jump out of my wagonj so no shots are fred at it.. bullets can damage cargo.

You can shoot them from far.. head-shots.. loot.. whatever... but then go mack to cinematic mode... and go do another bong.. if they are chasing you they will not give you time.

I always deliver 20/20 bottles.  

If people do the armadillo run from that heartlands area... Then they can run the roadblock... AND OUTRUN ANY CHASERS..  Never fire one shot... unless you want to.

I do not even need to be in the room to deliver 20/20 half the time.   I can hear if they are going to give chase.. I just hold the drive button... If say pull over.. then I need to go back into the room and deal with chasers soon.

It cannot get any easier than holding down one button for the entire trip.

@ James Hickok_1837,
Shooting from far makes them harder to loot and I opt for loot over experience which is pointless after everything capped... so far.

If I'm doing a Maggie mission or something with a lot of looting I like to make them come to me and get them in the same location.. and start looting while one guy still alive.  Shooting our way through anything is fun.   Ive done maggie missions using mostly dynamite for fun of it... speed run type thing.

I see no point in even giving a checkpoint the day.

The armadillo run can be made by RUNNING ROADBLOCK and OUTRUNNING CHASERS 100% of the time (Yes. I am saying the are useless revenue agents).    I mean I never ever ever have to fire one single shot if I choose that location.  I just run the blockade and keep running... 20 out of 20 bottles.. guaranteed... so why engage them?    Not to loot them 100 yards away... better things to do.

I can make runs by sound.. from another room... and always 20/20 (some routes you need to slow in spots.. but learn at full tilt).

Smashing a bottle is costly in this game $247 to $185 = $52 ... for breaking one bottle.

I have a way that is pretty much guaranteed... your way is of course the most popular I imagine because nobody would think to just drive through the checkpoint.   Not everyone would.  Smashing through... I imagine its done.

Edited by Darconios

Checkpoints: 

I believe they're completely random as to whether you get stopped.  

I've tried several guns out, no guns, bootlegger missions beforehand, cinematic, no bandana, many many times. And what seemed to work a few times, will eventually not work.  

Just seems random. 

I've also stopped cinematic deliveries. Had it glitch going through a checkpoint, didn't follow yellow line, didn't realize till much later, had a covered wagon hit me, wagon hit a checkpoint barricade, ran over a big rock, all in cinematic/autopath. Lost 3 bottles each time.  

If I drive I lose nothing and have better situational awareness. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Herta47 said:

I drive my MS-wagon with one wapon in my hand. As soon I approach the red road block just keep driving and the red circle disappear and they let you pass. You get this option at MS lvl 19. It mostly works! 

NOT kill the revenue agents.... Cmon partner :) they need to die dem basterds! 😁

• Haha 1

I've never had it glitch going through a checkpoint, but I know on several route there are areas I need to drive a bit slower (driving up hill towards heartland ranch).

If a slow horse or wagon gets in front of me I will drop out of cinematic and shoot them... it speeds them up (wagons) or makes them attack.

If they try to stop you.. they will chase you... If they do not try to stop you.. they will not chase you.. you can leave the room.. whatever... stop.. throw a party.

But.. I do know I can do 2 one handed bong hist in another room before I even hear a checkpoint... yes.. it seems random.. Ive tried gun holstered.. gun out.. gun cocked... unarmed..  but I have not stopped at or before a checkpoint in weeks.

If you do get shot at.. just leave the wagon.. you can die a bunch of times and the wagon would still be intact... (not that you would).   We all know how to kill NPC's.   Once I went AFK and when I returned the agents were working on killing me for the third time or whatever...  The wagon was intact... I guess the first killing made me leave the wagon which protected it from gunfire.

Even going AFK I can deliver 20/20 every time using cinematic mode.  The NPC loot ratio is low in moonshine deliveries and the risk of bottle breakage is costly over time.  I'd wager I make as much RDO from moonshining as anyone.

Killing revenue agents is fine.. but save it for a maggie mission as climbing in and out of a wagon to loot stray bodies seems less fun than looting 20 bodies all in the same 10 square feet.

I see no point in doing anything but delivering the bottles intact in these runs.   I dont even bother with maggie missions anymore.. just dailies... and deliveries when ready.  I'm running out of antique alcohol to drink .

Edited by Darconios

Yeah, if your not going to kill the revenue men, why even bother? LOL. I myself prefer the kill them at the roadblock before it becomes an issue method. It just makes it more fun... especially more fun than auto playing the game from another room...

”The revenue man wanted grand daddy bad, went up to the holler with everything he had. It was before my time by I’ve been told, he never come back from Copperhead road”

Edited by The_Liquor
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, The_Liquor said:

Yeah, if your not going to kill the revenue men, why even bother? LOL. I myself prefer the kill them at the roadblock before it becomes an issue method. It just makes it more fun... especially more fun than auto playing the game from another room...

Agreed.  

I play these games for the enjoyment of them. That's why I don't like to skip portions of the gameplay just to make money, wait / run down the clock to maximize profits, repeat the same missions / actions over and over again,  etc. If it's not fun, then it's not fun and I won't play.  When it becomes too much of a grind, I move on.

• Like 4

Dang... I didn't realize so many would take offense by learning how to do this mission hands off... with 20 out of 20 nottles deliuvered each time.

I grasp that there are player types who cannot handle stealth missions... No poisoning the stills for them.. just shoot shoot shoot...

I am suggesting that killing and looting the 7 agents at the roadblock seems fairly dense to me.   Better economically to run through and do a maggie mission if you want bodies.

I truly don't care if you all stop and shoot the revenue agents.. I  just saying half the time they let you pass without a shot fired... the entire mission by holding a button...

So when do you stop and smoke your weed?   By fitting in my bong hits on a delivery I free up more time for killing griefers.

If I am in the other room holding down a button.. or you are driving your wagon... Its the exact same distance to the first blockade...   So you can view the scenery... but I've already memorized the map.

I am saying sometimes if you run a blockade they cannot even send chasers after you (Amarillo saloon delivery).

Fight NPC's all day long if that's your thing.   Makes you feel tough by killing an NPC agent... just for the point.  .. Its a game.. there is no correct way to play.... I like to fit my bong hist in where I can... (I suggest stealth can be a part of the game)... but requires a less shoot everything and more a calculated approach.

Not easy if you are a beginner I guess.

I imagine many would not even try to pass a blockade without firing.. I mean it is counter intuitive that they would let you pass... but some of us fool easier than others I guess.

Edited by Darconios

11 minutes ago, Darconios said:

Dang... I didn't realize so many would take offense by learning how to do this mission hands off... with 20 out of 20 nottles deliuvered each time.

I grasp that there are player types who cannot handle stealth missions... No poisoning the stills for them.. just shoot shoot shoot...

I am suggesting that killing and looting the 7 agents at the roadblock seems fairly dense to me.   Better economically to run through and do a maggie mission if you want bodies.

I truly don't care if you all stop and shoot the revenue agents.. I  just saying half the time they let you pass without a shot fired... the entire mission by holding a button...

So when do you stop and smoke your weed?   By fitting in my bong hits on a delivery I free up more time for killing griefers.

If I am in the other room holding down a button.. or you are driving your wagon... Its the exact same distance to the first blockade...   So you can view the scenery... but I've already memorized the map.

I am saying sometimes if you run a blockade they cannot even send chasers after you (Amarillo saloon delivery).

Fight NPC's all day long if that's your thing.   Makes you feel tough by killing an NPC agent... just for the point.  .. Its a game.. there is no correct way to play.... I like to fit my bong hist in where I can... (I suggest stealth can be a part of the game)... but requires a less shoot everything and more a calculated approach.

Not easy if you are a beginner I guess.

I imagine many would not even try to pass a blockade without firing.. I mean it is counter intuitive that they would let you pass... but some of us fool easier than others I guess.

Offense?  .....naw.  Just giving some other viewpoints on the subject is all.  If you're in to playing the game the way you suggest, more power to you.  

I didn't take anything said here as trying to be offensive toward you or what you suggest (I certainly didn't intend to).  ......sorry you took it that way.

• Like 1

@Darconios  not offended in the least... as for the bong rips, we’ll, I'm on the liquor and my bar is near enough to my TV I can play from there if I wanted... Or, just have a glass on my side table. I’m kind of with Kean... I don’t play this game to get fake rich and get all the virtual stuff... I’m a crazy old alcoholic who likes drinking more hooch than I sell and am making it my life mission to have those revenue boys go running at the most innocent mention of my name... LOL

• Like 2

So, I did finally finish the moonshiner role.  Not because I enjoyed it though.  Just so I could complete it and never repeat it.  Love the new horse btw.  I did exactly what I said above. Start the Mash. Go into the bar and set a timer. Read a book. When timer goes off 10 minutes before mash completes, add flavor.  (this helps make sure your buyer doesn't change or disappear before moonshine is ready) Deliver the moonshine. Return to shack, rinse and repeat. This helped to minimize the bugs and glitches as I didn't do anything else to get in the way or come and go from the shack during the process except on delivery runs.  And the book isn't bad either. 

After lvl 10 and onward I did start to make some money in the process.  But hardly worth the aggravation and boredom.

I will probably repeat the Maggie missions quite a lot.  They were a lot of fun. And if it glitches out on me now it's no loss to progress.  Other than that, my moonshine days are over. Good riddance. 

Completed my outlaw pass as well.  Love the rebel poncho.  Will definitely be sporting it on July 4th.  Who knows, maybe by then there will be animals to hunt again.  

• Like 1

^ Same. I've completed the Moonshiner role and I haven't been to my shack even once ever since. I'm not going to bother - selling 10-15 collector items to Madam Nazar gives me as much (if not even more, depending on what kinds of items they are) money as a really good Moonshine sale and it's just not worth it. AND I don't have to pay anything to prepare things. Same goes for Trader - I'm not gonna bother looking for non-existing animals for hours and hours and I'm not gonna bother trying to set up a camp over and over again. And I don't think I'm the only one who feels this way. R* really needs to do something or they're gonna lose even more players than they already have lost over the issues that have plagued the game ever since the beta went live.

• Like 2

I was thinking about trying the Moonshiner DLC once I'm finished with Bounty Hunting which I'm starting this weekend. I finally reached Level 20 in the trader role!. Sounds like the Moonshiners DLC might not be worth it. Maybe I should start the Collector Role instead. 

Edited by Vendetta

(On PC.) The glitches with the moonshiner role were pretty bad the first week or so, but since then it's been much better for me. Don't think I've had any the past 15 or maybe 20 deliveries.

I'm level 20 and generally only do them to fulfill the daily challenges now. For those alone it might be worth considering leveling up to level 10, since they tend to be pretty easy/fast to complete. Most you get is having to do 3 bootlegger or 2 story missions, but pretty much every day there's at least one of the three where you either have to dance or play with the band for 2 minutes. There has also been one where you have to drink some of your own shine, and the one where you have to make a special moonshine recipe also only takes a second if you have the ingredients (because you can complete it by just buying the mash and adding flavor.) So for those who only log on for 10 minutes a day to uphold the daily challenge streak, there's often one or two easy moonshine options.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flu007 said:

(On PC.) The glitches with the moonshiner role were pretty bad the first week or so, but since then it's been much better for me. Don't think I've had any the past 15 or maybe 20 deliveries.

I haven't bothered since I was having so many issues with it. I will give it a try again tonight. Hopefully the issues are sorted for me as well because I really wanted to take part in this.