7/24/20 NEWS: Massive New Update Coming 7/28!

Kean_1

I'm finding the new update great.  The new Wheeler & Rawson club is literally free as they give you back gold bars, there's a Zorro mask, The new role horse looks good, I like some of the new outfits, and the updated layout for the dailies is great.  With legendary animals now in it gives us a lot more hunting/crafting outlets, so feels very Old Westy.  Also I did the trade route event today and it let me take two revolvers in, so they seem to have addressed that annoying bug.  I'm not as high level as some of you (208), but I spent 150gb on various stuff yesterday and it has given the game a real refresh for me.  New wilderness camp fire (free via Twitch link), new outfit, new things to do.  I'm very happy with it.  Rumours of two more roles later this year with one supposed to be lawman so I'm hyped for the game.  Really loving it.

And animal spawn is great for me, Xbox One even with a busy lobby last night.

Edited by Kean_1
combined consecutive posts
  • Like 1

LOL massive. Posts that didn't age well.

We can't even solo the online story missions still. What a joke. This game doesn't have the population or enough new people coming in to justify R*'s stupid belief that we should be forced in to multiplayer missions to do online story missions. Ive waited literal hours and no one joins the early missions. It's disgusting that R* thinks this is acceptable. So now, someone like me who just started, cant enjoy the story missions online. 

Not to mention I dont want to play them with others. I dont need idiots rushing through missions and making stupid choices, both moral wise and just in general having to put up with people getting killed over and over. Not that it matters since the population is so dead now for new players no one is doing the online story missions in the first place. So that's a big chunk of content we can't enjoy. 

1 hour ago, Nhisso said:

.....a post simply meant to help inform the community using R* own words from their Tweet but yeah, don't read too far into it.

1 hour ago, Nhisso said:

We can't even solo the online story missions still. What a joke. This game doesn't have the population or enough new people coming in to justify R*'s stupid belief that we should be forced in to multiplayer missions to do online story missions. Ive waited literal hours and no one joins the early missions. It's disgusting that R* thinks this is acceptable. So now, someone like me who just started, cant enjoy the story missions online. 

Not to mention I dont want to play them with others. I dont need idiots rushing through missions and making stupid choices, both moral wise and just in general having to put up with people getting killed over and over. Not that it matters since the population is so dead now for new players no one is doing the online story missions in the first place. So that's a big chunk of content we can't enjoy. 

I'm confused.....   You're upset that you can't hook up with randoms but then in the next breath say that you don't want to?

Well, the good news is that you don't need to matchmake in the game if you don't want to.  Hell, I never liked working with randoms myself in nearly all team based scenarios in the games I play.  

....so, if you're new to RDO, try to find friends via sites like these or discord channels, R* Social Club, PSN Communities (if on PS4), etc.  Here at RDR2.org we have a Posse Recruitment sub forum where you can post what you're looking for or you can respond to one of the threads in that section.  Several of the posses that advertise do have Discord channels or their own websites you can check out.  

If you can get over your issue with randoms, another way to find RDO friends is by sucking it up and joining others in their activities, posses, etc.  You never know who you might come across and yes, while others can prove to be a pain, there are always those few that can end up being good gaming friends.  As much as I dislike pairing up with randoms, I have to admit that I have found a couple who decent folks willing to play the game together sharing in each others activities.

....oh btw, welcome to the forums and good luck.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Antonia said:

Any reports on animal spawns? Did they finaly fix it?

Saw a couple folks comment about the animal population increasing but I think we'll have to wait and see.  I'll wager even if it resolves for some, there may be others that could still have the issue.  .....or just boot up the game and see for yourself.

• Thanks 1

Ok so posting some general observations here rather than the "comment/discuss" the new role topic as these observations are more "general" than specific.

After a frustrating day of play due to my alt-tab failing again resulting in the PC locking up completely needing a hard reboot I have discovered a couple of things that I am less  than pleased about.

In no particular order:-

1] When you have a captive bounty on your horse it no longer displays to you as "Rachel Grant" etc it just says Stranger - so when you unload them at the Sheriffs that little bit of detail has gone - I didn't like that

2] There will be a conflict with the new role & Cripps' empire as when I killed a Cougar that attacked me [literally right on the outskirts of Annesburg, on the road] it flashed up that Harriet [the new role girl] would be less happy with me if I continued killing animals - this is obviously a reflection of the antagonism between her & Gus the other protagonist for the new role - this might seriously hamper anyones trader empire or any time spent generally hunting - personally it's Squirrels for me, pesky varmints but I digress.

On to No. 3 & for me the biggest gggrrr  of the day;-

3] They cap the daily role challenges at 9 completed , actually locking any partially completed or not started role challenges which IMO is a big hindrance to GB gathering - I had 2/3 Predator carcasses, which the above mentioned Cougar would have finished that challenge off nicely but it locked after I sold 3 items to Gypsy girl, reaching 9 & locking the rest out - not happy, didn't like it & for me that is a huge blow to GB collecting which I [did] like to do!

4] My gun/gear wheel is broken - I used to be able to bring up my gun wheel I move the mouse to highlight which weapon I wanted - I can still bring the wheel up but it doesn't respond quite the same anymore making quickly choosing or switching weapons on the fly that much more difficult - again another minus for me for that.

Hoping to get some more playtime in tomorrow & will report anything else I believe they have broken or changed for the worst here, as I didn't really do anything for the new role except the daily challenge which I now know I can in future drop in favour of others for the 9 per day cap now  :(

1 hour ago, Antonia said:

those 100+ gb to download though.. :D

Ouch....  Yeah, if you uninstalled, I can see your dilemma.  

btw, I bought an external SSD for my PS4 a while back.  I had 16 games downloaded as of late and just removed a couple yesterday I had no interest in anymore.  It's great not having to worry about space and the big bonus is that even through the USB 3 port, it's still faster than the internal drive.  It made a difference in games that I moved over when I first got it.   ......so games like RDR2 that I don;t play often but expect I might again, I just leave on there.  Same with GTA and so on.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, zosma2000 said:

After this update, i cant summon my hunting wagon. I dissmiss my horse, but it is greyed out. Tryed a couple of times.

You may want to create a new thread for your issue in this online section.  I don't have a problem that you posted it here (that's fine), but I'm afraid your issue won't get the attention it deserves and has the chance of getting lost among the other discussions occurring here on this topic.  

18 hours ago, Antonia said:

Any reports on animal spawns? Did they finaly fix it?

Yeah they "fixed" it allright...    

The animal spawn after the update is insane. Its more than it ever was in story mode. Actually i hate it i feel like im in a god damn zoo animal sounds everywhere. There are so many its overwhelming. I would actually prefer the before update state. I had no problem s hunting animals to top up cripps. Now its a god damn zoo. 

Its okay that ppl like the update but im not one of them. The new role sucks so bad im skipping it. It reminds me of the 2 most boring and draggingg  achievements in story mode : skin all animal types and Discover/know all animal types.  it was a pain and i still didnt do them im at 73% and 52 %

I guess im sticking to pvp and waiting for REAL wild west roles. 

18 hours ago, Nhisso said:

I get people joining coop missions pretty much instantly when I go on.  I do them for dailies, or just for some variety occasionally, that waiting sounds like a bug.  Although frankly, if you don't like playing with others you might enjoy the solo story more!

11 hours ago, Kean_1 said:

Ouch....  Yeah, if you uninstalled, I can see your dilemma.  

btw, I bought an external SSD for my PS4 a while back.  I had 16 games downloaded as of late and just removed a couple yesterday I had no interest in anymore.  It's great not having to worry about space and the big bonus is that even through the USB 3 port, it's still faster than the internal drive.  It made a difference in games that I moved over when I first got it.   ......so games like RDR2 that I don;t play often but expect I might again, I just leave on there.  Same with GTA and so on.

Yes I dropped £60 on an external drive for the Xbox One X and it transformed things, just don't have to uninstall anything any more.  Three of our kids also game so it was a battle.  Complete convert to external drives.  Superfast, as you say.

17 hours ago, Antonia said:

James said it's a god dam zoo? Downloading now  :P

James is absolutely correct - the animal spawns are huge, so much so I'm creating roadkill at about 4 animals per session whereas in the past it was very rare to cause roadkill on my horse - this can be bad on the day the challenge is "don't kill any animals for 12 hours"!

Put it this way - up near the top of the map by the inventors place I was skinning a 1* Cougar when a 2* Cougar attacked me!

IMO they may need to dial down the spawns just the taddiest of tads as it is a bit insane!

• Like 1

On 7/29/2020 at 7:28 PM, Sigill MacFinn said:

Ok so posting some general observations here rather than the "comment/discuss" the new role topic as these observations are more "general" than specific.

After a frustrating day of play due to my alt-tab failing again resulting in the PC locking up completely needing a hard reboot I have discovered a couple of things that I am less  than pleased about.

In no particular order:-

1] When you have a captive bounty on your horse it no longer displays to you as "Rachel Grant" etc it just says Stranger - so when you unload them at the Sheriffs that little bit of detail has gone - I didn't like that

2] There will be a conflict with the new role & Cripps' empire as when I killed a Cougar that attacked me [literally right on the outskirts of Annesburg, on the road] it flashed up that Harriet [the new role girl] would be less happy with me if I continued killing animals - this is obviously a reflection of the antagonism between her & Gus the other protagonist for the new role - this might seriously hamper anyones trader empire or any time spent generally hunting - personally it's Squirrels for me, pesky varmints but I digress.

On to No. 3 & for me the biggest gggrrr  of the day;-

3] They cap the daily role challenges at 9 completed , actually locking any partially completed or not started role challenges which IMO is a big hindrance to GB gathering - I had 2/3 Predator carcasses, which the above mentioned Cougar would have finished that challenge off nicely but it locked after I sold 3 items to Gypsy girl, reaching 9 & locking the rest out - not happy, didn't like it & for me that is a huge blow to GB collecting which I [did] like to do!

4] My gun/gear wheel is broken - I used to be able to bring up my gun wheel I move the mouse to highlight which weapon I wanted - I can still bring the wheel up but it doesn't respond quite the same anymore making quickly choosing or switching weapons on the fly that much more difficult - again another minus for me for that.

Hoping to get some more playtime in tomorrow & will report anything else I believe they have broken or changed for the worst here, as I didn't really do anything for the new role except the daily challenge which I now know I can in future drop in favour of others for the 9 per day cap now  :(

Update to this for further observations:-

1] Weapon/Gear wheel is IMO definitely broken now - have to come all the way out wait a few seconds & go back in to do things like brush then feed my horse & things can stay greyed out for 3 or 4 "openings" of the wheel!

2] Antique Alcohol - got to a Caribbean Run spawn & it was greyed out - checked bag - had 10 - highlighted it & hit enter - drank a bottle of Scotch Whisky - re-highlighted Caribbean Rum - hit enter - drank another Scotch - I gave up trying after blacking out & waking up a short distance away minus 4 bottles of Scotch - this might be awkward!!

3] Wilderness Camp - WoW! what a let-down - a small campfire nothing else - hoping they introduce a few homely touches like a blanket draped saddle to lean on or a rug or anything - very underwhelming & on 1st try to set it out it told me no room for a camp here so moved further away - made the disappointment even greater when after that it was just the fire & despite getting it free, R* then gave me a 30% discount voucher for it ??? lmfao

4] Trinket crafting - much like Story mode you need to sell Gus [the Naturalist hunter!] the animal parts for him to then craft items when you have the associated "treasure" item - this isn't made clear when you interact with him with the parts in your inventory - could be made more clear IMO

On 7/29/2020 at 7:28 PM, Sigill MacFinn said:

Update to the above comment - I have noticed now that when it gives the completion message a 1.5 GB "reward" flashes up also - this means the cap isn't restricting GB gathering completely.

Ok so a few more observations after this update.

After the comments about collectible spawn changes in the patch notes, I kept my eye on a few things during my next gaming session.

I noticed on Sunday that I seemed to be getting the same coin over & over to the point that I failed to collect 1 as I was maxxed on it, so I rode to Madam Nazar & sold a couple then went back to the spot but it was inactive, so I decided to do a bit of basic stat gathering on Monday.

I like to collect the coins, I don't know why I like them but it's possibly that they seem to be such a real thing that has been handled by lawmen or dancing girls or just a farmhand, whatever it is they are my favourite thing to collect, so on Monday I made a note of what I found.

Mondays game-time was appx 5 hours & was split up by 2 log offs [breaks not disconnects] & 3 events so it's difficult to establish whether any "random" rolls "re-set" or it's all just RNG, but  I managed to collect 12 over a 5 hour play window:-

1]  1796 Halfpenny  [1]

2]  1797 Gold Eagle

3]  1796 Halfpenny  [2]

4]  1792 Nickel  [1]

5]  1792 Nickel  [2]

6)  1796 Halfpenny  [3]   [failed again as I had 10 by now - went to Nazar & sold 3]

7]  1796 Halfpenny  [4] 

8]  1781 1 Cent Token

9]  1800 5 Dollar Bechtler

10]  1796 Halfpenny  [5]

11]  1700 New Yorke Token

12]  1789 Penny

So you will see that 5 of then were the 1796 Halfpenny & 2 were the 1792 Nickel, which to me is disappointing RNG, especially when I was trying for a 1800 Gold Quarter to make a full-set.

I tried a similar test with Arrowheads during the same session yesterday, but ineptly managed to miss the 1st 1 I pulled so after 9 gathered & only 8 written down 2x Rough & 2x Crude appeared in my list, along with an elusive Quartz which I needed for a set, so IMO Arrowheads may not have as bad RNG as coins !! YMMV

I know lots of people are having unstable or unplayable games but wondered would the community here run a similar experiment with coins & try & capture what the RNG looks like over any amount of gametime you can please?

Purely for interest!

cheers

Edited by Sigill MacFinn
strikethrough had attacked!

On 7/30/2020 at 6:29 AM, SimonTemplar said:

Yes I dropped £60 on an external drive for the Xbox One X and it transformed things, just don't have to uninstall anything any more.  Three of our kids also game so it was a battle.  Complete convert to external drives.  Superfast, as you say.

I can't reiterate how transformative the external drives have been.  

For years I've been resistant to digital download on my consoles for a lot of reasons.  I finally stated dipping my proverbial toes into dds within the past year or so, and out of necessity, picked up a relatively inexpensive 2TB external drive as a black Friday special last year.

Literal game-changer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

For years I've been resistant to digital download on my consoles for a lot of reasons.  I finally stated dipping my proverbial toes into dds within the past year or so, and out of necessity, picked up a relatively inexpensive 2TB external drive as a black Friday special last year.

Literal game-changer.

Yeah, it made a big difference and the performance boost was a plus.   .....won't be the same on the PS5 although I'm hoping it's compatible with it so I can still store some games on it like the ones my kid plays which are not as demanding.  

Mine is the Samsung T5 SSD (external) I picked up at Best Buy for just over $100 on sale last year.  I started going digital a few years back.  It's just more convenient for me and as far as downloads, I simply plan a day ahead letting games load up at night typically.  I was reluctant at first but now that I'm buying games exclusively via digital, I don't miss the disks.   ....although I will be opting for the BluRay drive version of the PS5 since we do use my PS for the media center.   The PS4 will likely stay next to it for a while before being moved elsewhere in the house used mainly for a media hub.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

Literal game-changer.

Yes exactly my experience.  I play a fair few games, always like DLC and updates, but also three of our kids are gamers and like different games, so capacity was always my issue.  Don't know why I didn't think of an external drive before, to be honest!!  As you say, literal game changer.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2020 at 11:53 PM, zosma2000 said:

After this update, i cant summon my hunting wagon. I dissmiss my horse, but it is greyed out. Tryed a couple of times.

Same here, annoying when you have to go to a stable to get it.

On 7/30/2020 at 1:17 AM, Kean_1 said:

btw, I bought an external SSD for my PS4 a while back.  I had 16 games downloaded as of late and just removed a couple yesterday I had no interest in anymore.  It'sgreat not having to worry about space and the big bonus is that even through the USB 3 port, it's still faster than the internal drive.  It made a difference in games that I moved over when I first got it.   ......so games like RDR2 that I don;t play often but expect I might again, I just leave on there.  Same with GTA and so on.

Forgive my (For sure) Stupid question here mate, but do i understand correct, that you have an external drive connected to the back USB on the ps4, and have all games run from that one, and not the internal one? - I dont want to (as it is right now) change the internal drive, and was hoping for a reliable drive that would work as an external. 

If so, can you recommend a brand? - Or do i just go for the speed of it? Im seriously on a confused path here :D 

14 hours ago, McLawDiz said:

Forgive my (For sure) Stupid question here mate, but do i understand correct, that you have an external drive connected to the back USB on the ps4, and have all games run from that one, and not the internal one? - I dont want to (as it is right now) change the internal drive, and was hoping for a reliable drive that would work as an external. 

If so, can you recommend a brand? - Or do i just go for the speed of it? Im seriously on a confused path here :D 

The USB ports are actually in the front (I have the original PS4).  They are the high speed USB 3.0/3.1 ports.

I bought an external 1TB Samsung T5 SSD. I got mine for just over $100 on sale IIRC.  I think you can pick them up usually around $130 or $140.

....so yeah, since I discovered the SSD was actually faster than the internal HDD even thru the USB port, I have all my main games installed on that instead.  It just needs to be formatted from what I remember so it works with the PS4.  IIRC, you can do that through the system but it's been a while.

EDIT:  This is the SSD I am talking about although this price for $190 is way too high.  I've seen it on sale from time to time around $139 so it's always best to shop around.  May also want to check out the T7 and the differences between the two (T7 may be better and it looks like it's even cheaper):

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-T5-Portable-SSD-MU-PA1T0B/dp/B073H552FJ

51lzaHuPbdL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Edited by Kean_1
  • Thanks 1

Ok so another small patch earlier today which hasn't fixed the vanishing & moving Camp bug which returned when they "rolled back" a few days ago.

I've also been suffering with the disappearing skins bug on & off the past 3 or 4 days.

For me, game was working much better before the fixes - lol - YMMV  ;)