selling orchids?

harry747

i have a couple of orchids in my inventory. is there a way to sell them?

yes, i know about algernon, and i've done all his missions, but now i have quite a few orchids left. is there anything i can do with them except dump them somewhere?

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, harry747 said:

actually, i found out that you CAN turn them into cash. just go to a post office and send them off, and you receive some cash the next day.

I'll have to check that out. I have quite a few orchids in my inventory, but don't recall ever seeing an option to mail them at the post office.

On 11/9/2020 at 7:04 PM, Parzival said:

I'll have to check that out. I have quite a few orchids in my inventory, but don't recall ever seeing an option to mail them at the post office.

Same here. I've never seen that option.

i found out that it works for some orchids but not for others. i still have a bunch of orchids (spider orchids, IIRC) and the option to sell them doesn't come up.

plus, the amount of money you get back is unpredictable. i sent off one orchid and got 12 bucks back, then i sent off 4 orchids (1 of one kind, 3 of another) and i got 13 bucks back. hmmm...

• 2 months later...

i guess it's some kind of glitch in my version. when i pick a certain type of orchid, the game seems to think i'm doing algernon's last job. so it lets me send off that orchid, and some time later i get some money back. but like i said, it only works with some orchids, probably those that are in that last job for algernon.

• 2 months later...

Okay, so, I did a little bit of looking into the matter of selling orchids and supposedly there's a flyer that you have to get before you can sell them. But I checked both locations I've seen the flyer reported at (the southwest exterior wall of the Valentine train station and opposite the "Services" poster at the Van Horn hotel), but found nothing in this instance.

Anyone found anything like this? It's supposedly titled "Rare Orchids Wanted."

• 5 months later...

The poster is outside one of the doors of the Saint Denis post office. It’s titled “Rare Orchids Order” and is found in the “Notes” section of your satchel once you’ve picked it up.

According to the RDR wiki, you can only pick it up after completing Algernon’s quest, but BEFORE loading a new save (so, you have to get it before saving the game and then loading said save). No idea if that’s true or not.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/20/2021 at 10:47 AM, harry747 said:

looks like i have 3 locations to check out...

well, saint denis was a flop, and so was van horn. on my way to valentine...

I found my flyer in the Rhodes train station. You have to have completed all quests for Algernon first, then the flyer will become available. Not sure how long it takes, but I didn't happen upon the flyer by chance until long after I completed all missions with him. In real time, with nightly play that lasted no less than four to six hours, I found the flyer about five to seven days after my time with Algernon was over. It's called "Rare Orchids Order". Get that note in your possession, go pick orchids, go to any train station and mail them. It then says to come back in six hours, if I recall correctly. 

On 10/11/2021 at 9:33 PM, BellasDaDa said:

I found my flyer in the Rhodes train station. You have to have completed all quests for Algernon first, then the flyer will become available. Not sure how long it takes, but I didn't happen upon the flyer by chance until long after I completed all missions with him. In real time, with nightly play that lasted no less than four to six hours, I found the flyer about five to seven days after my time with Algernon was over. It's called "Rare Orchids Order". Get that note in your possession, go pick orchids, go to any train station and mail them. It then says to come back in six hours, if I recall correctly. 

I have no idea how old my near-complete 99.8% save is, but it's well over a year old and has been played post-epilogue for hundreds of hours completing challenges, traveling back and forth to moose spawn points trying to get those f**king things to spawn (just two more perfect skins and I'll have crafted all trapper clothing), and generally just mucking around, but I've never found any fliers for selling orchids in any train stations.