Playstation 5

Anyone pre-ordered one of these yet?  I managed to get lucky and have one ordered on Amazon before they ran out.  I'm not sure I'll spring for a new Xbox this time around.

I just hope the PS5 is quieter and cooler than my PS4Pro.  I'm not sure I'm super excited about the launch titles yet, but there's a lot of potential in terms of speed and graphics.  Can't wait for Far Cry 6.

• Like 1

I don't think that email means anything at all - I got it as well "register your interest to be included in limited early pre-orders (if we think you're enough of a PlayStation fan)".  In the end outlets put up pre-orders shortly after yesterday's live stream.  I just happened to check Amazon this morning (UK time) and saw the listing for the PS5.  A couple of page refreshes later, I got the "pre-order" button pop up.  Apparently, it sold out within half an hour.

If you're waiting on that email, I just wouldn't bother - if you want a console, you just need to hunt it down.

Then again, many of the big titles announced have PS4 versions anyway, so no big loss there.

I'm definitely not hinging my hopes of getting a PS5 pre-ordered on that email I received from Sony.  I just mentioned it as something I registered for as another option.  Apparently, they are supposed to be considering people based on their history and activity.  I'm on almost daily in regard to gaming but we use ours all the time for Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, YT, etc.  

I put the PS5 on my Amazon wish list so I should be notified when they are available.  .....not really interested in picking it up from any B&M stores, etc.  

Either way, I'm not too bothered.  If the standard editions are scarce up through release, then I'll just wait.  ......if I can get it on release, then great.

15 minutes ago, buttlint said:

When I start seeing some games worth playing, I will spring for a PS5. 

I'm pretty confident that Farm Simulator will be just as boring on a PS5 as it is on a PS4.

Yeah, well, there will obviously be a lot more than Farm Simulator available on PS5's release.  ....including your PS4 library that will be compatible.   ....and for PS+ members, you will be able to download the following titles:

God of War
The Last of Us: Remastered
Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End
Battlefield 1
Monster Hunter World
Fallout 4
Final Fantasy XV
The Last Guardian
Ratchet and Clank
Infamous: Second Son
Days Gone
Bloodborne
Detroit: Become Human
Batman Arkham Knight
Mortal Kombat X
Persona 5
Until Dawn
Resident Evil: Biohazard

Personally, I'm looking forward to see how some of my favorite PS4 titles will work with the additional horsepower of the PS5.  ...and of course, a couple of the new PS5 titles.

The thing is, it's not like the PS5 will be a paperweight while you wait for PS5 exclusive games.  .....but if you don't see value in buying one on release, c'est la vie.

1 hour ago, buttlint said:

When I start seeing some games worth playing, I will spring for a PS5. 

I'm pretty confident that Farm Simulator will be just as boring on a PS5 as it is on a PS4.

Not interested in growing any of that NY Diesel? 

Edited by Vendetta

It's going to be a good few years until we see the true power of the PS5 anyway. It seems as though you only really get to see the true technical ability of a console right before it's going to be retired.

GTAV on the Xbox360 just blew me away - I didn't think a game like that was possible on that console.

God of War and LOU2 on the PS4 Pro - both jaw dropping games in terms of graphics and smoothness (let alone gameplay).

For lots of folks, $500 might be a drop in the bucket. For us old guys or those affected by covid layoffs, $500 puts a pretty big hole in the budget. Throw in another few hundred for a 4k tv for the better graphics and you might see why some might be hesitant. 

Since I don't really get into in any serious gameplaying until Jan-March, I can wait. I'll let the bleeding edge players be the beta rats and work out the bugs for Sony. The same goes for any new games that come out. I like to see some player reviews and Youtube videos before buying any hype put out by software companies. Buying a game and then spending half my time putting in tickets to customer support isnt really my idea of fun. I like games without bugs, not games that need patches every other day.

It's not like Sony is going to shut down the line once the preorders have been filled. They will crank it up full blast for the holiday season. 

18 hours ago, Vendetta said:

Not interested in growing any of that NY Diesel? 

Once I converted the Biogas Plant to a meth lab, I sold my tractor.

Felsbrunn is now a giant trailer park.

On 9/18/2020 at 4:25 PM, buttlint said:

For lots of folks, $500 might be a drop in the bucket. For us old guys or those affected by covid layoffs, $500 puts a pretty big hole in the budget. Throw in another few hundred for a 4k tv for the better graphics and you might see why some might be hesitant. 

Since I don't really get into in any serious gameplaying until Jan-March, I can wait. I'll let the bleeding edge players be the beta rats and work out the bugs for Sony. The same goes for any new games that come out. I like to see some player reviews and Youtube videos before buying any hype put out by software companies. Buying a game and then spending half my time putting in tickets to customer support isnt really my idea of fun. I like games without bugs, not games that need patches every other day.

It's not like Sony is going to shut down the line once the preorders have been filled. They will crank it up full blast for the holiday season. 

Once I converted the Biogas Plant to a meth lab, I sold my tractor.

Felsbrunn is now a giant trailer park.

Lol!. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/17/2020 at 7:22 AM, Foxtrot said:

Anyone pre-ordered one of these yet?  I managed to get lucky and have one ordered on Amazon before they ran out.  I'm not sure I'll spring for a new Xbox this time around.

I just hope the PS5 is quieter and cooler than my PS4Pro.  I'm not sure I'm super excited about the launch titles yet, but there's a lot of potential in terms of speed and graphics.  Can't wait for Far Cry 6.

Couldn't get a pre-order as they sold out fast. Just waiting for a retailer to get them in stock and I'll buy one. 

• Like 1

I’m going to wait at least a year before I switch over to next-gen. I’ve bought in at launch and got consoles that were broken within a year too many times. The 360 and the Red Ring of Death was the worst. A year should be a good stretch to get most of the lemons out of circulation. 

I’m no brand loyalist, but I’m disappointed I’m doubting my initial inclination to get a PS5. The exclusives are so damn good on their platform. Unfortunately, with them allowing customers to record private conversations and report them for “offensive” language, that’s a step too far for me. If you don’t like the way a conversation is going, you’ve got three choices: Leave, Mute, and/or Block. With the ever changing landscape of things that can be deemed offensive, I feel this system is ripe for abuse. I don’t want to invest $500 on a console, $60 on a yearly subscription to PSplus, and however many games I want only to have some butthurt individual report me for naughty words and my console gets bricked. 

Not cool

1 hour ago, Enoch said:

I’m going to wait at least a year before I switch over to next-gen. I’ve bought in at launch and got consoles that were broken within a year too many times. The 360 and the Red Ring of Death was the worst. A year should be a good stretch to get most of the lemons out of circulation. 

Yeah, there's always a risk with new consoles but Playstation has had a relatively decent track record and Sony in general for me.  I didn't have problems with my PS3 nor my PS4 except for the noisy fan issue years later which is mitigated by cleaning.  

I don't think you need to wait a year to get a good gauge on any problems Sony or Microsoft is having on their next gens, but it's understandable why some would hold off. 

I’m no brand loyalist, but I’m disappointed I’m doubting my initial inclination to get a PS5. The exclusives are so damn good on their platform. Unfortunately, with them allowing customers to record private conversations and report them for “offensive” language, that’s a step too far for me. If you don’t like the way a conversation is going, you’ve got three choices: Leave, Mute, and/or Block. With the ever changing landscape of things that can be deemed offensive, I feel this system is ripe for abuse. I don’t want to invest $500 on a console, $60 on a yearly subscription to PSplus, and however many games I want only to have some butthurt individual report me for naughty words and my console gets bricked. 

I'm not a brand loyalist either but my PS consoles have been solid performers and my Sony equipment in general.  My network of gaming friends are all on PS as well so that play into it.  ......and then there's the backward compatibility with all he PS4 games I have.

In regard to the private chat recordings, I think it's being blown out of proportion by some to be honest and like it or not, we've always been bound to their ToS when using their system for chat. 

Sony will not be actively monitoring conversations.  This feature is only to allow others in the party to report participants being abusive to them.  Sony will review and take action if their ToS has been breached.  ....so unless you're throwing around racial slurs, threatening to SWAT someone, etc., it's not likely to be an issue.  Besides that, how many people do you invite to a party chat that you aren't already acquainted with?  Those kinds of people I only interact with via in-game chat if at all.  .....which again, many game companies will allow you to report for the same concerns.  The only people I'm involved with in party chat are friends of mine or friends of friends.  ......and I'm never abusive to them anyhow beyond joking around (as we all do) so it's really a moot point in my case.

Having said that, I don't get why this is even a thing in party chat given that I doubt most even invite random people.  Is this something they discovered was a problem?  I honestly don't see how it could be to be honest.  In-game chat is one thing as you can't control what others say besides reporting and muting them, but party chat is controlled by the host.  You have the ability to boot them from the chat session, make it private so they can't join, block the user, etc.  Do they really need a way to report someone in party chat?  .......I don't think so personally but it also doesn't bother me given the reasons I mentioned. 

I'm not at all worried about this feature being used against me but then again, I'm not playing with random people I don't know or that I can't gauge how they would react.  btw, the new system only records the last 40 seconds so it's not as if someone can use it against you later if you have a falling out, etc.   It has to be then and there as it occurs.  .....but again, I'm not worried as everyone in my PSN friends list aren't a bunch of SJW's, etc. that are easily offended.  They'll just delete you from their friends list and block if they find you annoying.   .....easy peasy.

• Like 2

What’s your take on the design? Personally, I like digital edition better but only when it’s vertical. With my entertainment center setup it would have to be horizontal. Not only that, but I’m a physical media type of guy so I would automatically opt for the disc version. That one looks terrible, to me. Doubly so when it’s horizontal. 

I don't like the look of either but yeah, the disk one looks worse to me but it's the one I'll be getting anyway.  

Personally, I'd rather just have a black one anyway so it doesn't stand out.

The good thing is that there's going to be customisable side panels for sale (or you can just spray the stock white ones I guess).  Mine will probably be hiding away somewhat behind my TV console so won't stand out like a giant white thumb.

The party chat thing doesn't bother me (I have no friends on the PSN and don't really do online stuff).  On Xbox, it was good to compare my achievements with my friends and pass a few messages, but that was about it.  I'm of the age and upbringing where I don't cuss at people online (people can cuss at me, but that's their problem).

I just finished my first play-through of TLOU2 - just need to play through a second time to pick up the last two trophies - I might do that on the PS5.  

I recall seeing mention in a YouTube somewhere that game developers hid stage loading in cut-scenes or lift journeys.  It's going to be interesting to see how games use cut-scenes or whether they'll allow the players to go keep on playing.  Hopefully, we won't get too many more 30 second lift scenes any more (or 30 seconds of grunting a stuck door).

• Like 1

Preorder, yea right, only if you live in a big city in a big cuntry.

Norway, not a single box new machine will be avalible before summer next year outside of the release wave if you did not preorder the moment that was possible. some poor blokes who preordered in september has to wait allmoust a full year before their machine arrives (official news article on that, so no BS)

Ouch.  I guess I was pretty lucky.  Then again, it's going to be a year or so until you see some really good games on it.  Personally, I'm looking forward to the faster loading times and smoother framerates.

6 minutes ago, Foxtrot said:

Ouch.  I guess I was pretty lucky.  Then again, it's going to be a year or so until you see some really good games on it.  Personally, I'm looking forward to the faster loading times and smoother framerates.

That's what I'm looking forward to as well.  In fact, I'm hoping the new hardware will help make some games more playable that have been suffering on PS4 due to the lack of horsepower and/or optimization.  DayZ is one of those which has outrageous draw distances as it is.  It's a game with some bugs that won;t be helped by the bump in processing power but perhaps some of the other performance issues will be resolved.    ....then again, I don't know how much the devs need to do to take advantage of the PS5 and BI has been awfully quiet about their plans.  Who knows, it may not even be playable.

@NF85  I'll be ordering mine online.  You don't need to live in a big city here in the U.S. as most retailers here will order / ship via their online store just about anywhere in the U.S.  ....especially these days. 

In either case, they will be available in obtainable quantities at some point where they aren't sold out in minutes.  My guess is by early next year here in the U.S. (e.g. January) if not later this year.  

Yeah, it's possible that some of those badly optimised games might well look awful in a much faster way rather than the added performance magically fixing the graphical issues.

• Haha 1

DayZ looks fine as a hardcore military / survival game but suffers from lag due to optimization problems and the fact that it's trying to render so much on a console that simply doesn't have the capability to.  The rendering distances were never dialed back, etc.  

I guess some folks will have their new consoles by now, but I have to wait until next Thursday.  I read that the new console cuts a minute off the load times, so that's good already.  I was hoping that Rockstar would release a performance patch to get the full 60Hz, but I don't think that's going to be the case - all they've done is confirm backward compatibility and hyped the "Enhanced" GTAV.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

.....5 months of trying but I finally have my PS5 on order directly from the PS store.  Order is being processed and it will ship 1-2 day for free (PS+ members).   Crossing my fingers it will be on the way today and arrive by Friday.  😁  

On 3/24/2021 at 10:40 AM, Kean_1 said:

.....5 months of trying but I finally have my PS5 on order directly from the PS store.  Order is being processed and it will ship 1-2 day for free (PS+ members).   Crossing my fingers it will be on the way today and arrive by Friday.  😁  

Glad to hear! 

Also just acquired my PS5 as well just a few days ago! 

Didn't really have any luck securing a console during the first few months of release, so I just stayed patient and eventually got lucky to hit on a Target restock and picked it up on that same day.

If you would like, you can add me on PSN as I don't think we are friends. I'm finally back as I didn't have a PS4 so I've been inactive on RDR2, on this forum, and just in general. 

PSN: NotSoFriendlyKid

No problem although I haven't played RDR in quite some time I'm afraid. Been about a year other than a couple times I logged in just to collect some free stuff, etc.