Is there a food thread?

watery buffalo

@Lonestar I think we need a "drooling" reaction for this thread.

3 minutes ago, Kormath said:

If you have a good cut of steak, do a smoke rub on it then cook medium rare and move straight to the plate, don't rest if first.  use the juices and run off from the steak as more flavoring to your mashed taters.  If you do it this way swap out the ranch for a splash of milk so as not to take away from teh steak/rub flavor.

Anytime meat is served with potatoes, I combine them on my plate. I've also been known to throw everything onto a biscuit and eat it as a sandwich. I was always told never to do that at someone else's house...

22 minutes ago, Truth said:

Not a fan of guacamole... Nor do I understand that avocado toast everyone keeps raving about.

I feel like I've heard this suggestion before... Might try it out this weekend, but I may have to add bacon to it now that it's on my mind. That, and I have a package that's past its "best by" date.

Guac is good in the summer if it's home-made.  I don't care for any store or restaurant guac, at least none i've tried yet.  i make a big bowl of guac and home made tortilla chips for the 4th every year.

I've tried the cinnamon burgers, they're not bad but i didn't think they were anything special.  Candied bacon goes well with them.

18 minutes ago, Cokeyskunk said:

This topic blossoming back to life once again simply reminds me of how very long it's been since I've smoked a 15 lb brisket.  😔

I still look at that picture and drool every now and then.

2 hours ago, Cokeyskunk said:

This topic blossoming back to life once again simply reminds me of how very long it's been since I've smoked a 15 lb brisket.  😔

Xmas was the last time i smoked one, it was only about 7 lb though, and we had one similar sized that we did a salt crust bake on, my brother doesn't like smoked meat.  I don't think he's human, he doesn't like bacon either.

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Kormath said:

I don't think he's human, he doesn't like bacon either.

What a horrible way to live life...

My buddy went vegetarian a few years back. Even he will give in and eat bacon.

@Syrens those look awesome!

• Thanks 1

Just now, Truth said:

What a horrible way to live life...

My buddy went vegetarian a few years back. Even he will give in and eat bacon.

@Syrens those look awesome!

I used to be a cook in a hotel kitchen, so I know some sh*t, I've seen things maaaann. xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Syrens said:

I used to be a cook in a hotel kitchen, so I know some sh*t, I've seen things maaaann. xD

Last hotel I was at (VERY southern Texas) I watched them "cook" some chicken for some dude's sandwich. They put it on this greasy piece of cardboard and threw it in what appeared to be an industrial microwave... They used that same piece of cardboard for everything else they "cooked" as well... Thankfully we got to go to Texas Roadhouse instead lol

Glad you found this thread!

Just now, Truth said:

Last hotel I was at (VERY southern Texas) I watched them "cook" some chicken for some dude's sandwich. They put it on this greasy piece of cardboard and threw it in what appeared to be an industrial microwave... They used that same piece of cardboard for everything else they "cooked" as well... Thankfully we got to go to Texas Roadhouse instead lol

Glad you found this thread!

Oh some of the practises you see are terrifying, totally.  I was always a rule follower, no raw/cooked together, washing constantly, no cross contaminants in the event of food allergens/vegans etc etc.  I always treated my handling of food in a means which I'd be happy with someone else handling mines.  Sadly, not everyone has the same ethos.

5 minutes ago, Syrens said:

I'd like to have some formal culinary education, even if it's just like a cooking matters class at the local university satellite campus here.  i don't think i do too bad of a job, some things i make are just killer and I just can't stop eating them lol  But to do that with more items would be awesome.

• Like 1

Just now, Kormath said:

I'd like to have some formal culinary education, even if it's just like a cooking matters class at the local university satellite campus here.  i don't think i do too bad of a job, some things i make are just killer and I just can't stop eating them lol  But to do that with more items would be awesome.

You don't need classes, just find something you want, get some recipe's, see what suits you most, and go for it.  The tweak as required.  My issue is I've thousands of recipe's in my head and I've reached burn out the past 6 months where it's just easier to get some sh*t for 1 and throw it in the microwave for 10 minutes.  I gotta get my motivation back.

1 minute ago, Syrens said:

You don't need classes, just find something you want, get some recipe's, see what suits you most, and go for it.  The tweak as required.  My issue is I've thousands of recipe's in my head and I've reached burn out the past 6 months where it's just easier to get some sh*t for 1 and throw it in the microwave for 10 minutes.  I gotta get my motivation back.

that's what i've been doing.  i found a cowboy beans recipe that i make myself sick on it's so damn good.  had to tweak it a bit though from the original recipe.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kormath said:

that's what i've been doing.  i found a cowboy beans recipe that i make myself sick on it's so damn good.  had to tweak it a bit though from the original recipe.  

That's all there is too it, plus the more you make something the faster it becomes, not the cooking it but the prepping of it, or at least getting the ingredients cause usually when I'm getting groceries I'm unsure of I take forever in the store haha.

7 minutes ago, Kormath said:

some things i make are just killer and I just can't stop eating them

I have those "I'm a damn good cook" moments as well.

Then I remember that I can't make eggs without ****ing up at least 2 of them... lol

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Truth said:

I have those "I'm a damn good cook" moments as well.

Then I remember that I can't make eggs without ****ing up at least 2 of them... lol

my son went to a "Cooking Matters" class and the instructor showed him an easy way to do scrambled eggs.  He taught me an i love it.  I make breakfast burritos now with them. 

Put 4 eggs in a sauce pan, 1 tablespoon or so of butter, and 1 tablespoon of creme fraiche or sour cream.

Set a burner on high, wait for it to heat up then put the pan on for about 30 seconds or just until the eggs start to cook. remove from burner, stir for about 10 - 15 seconds, then put back on the burner, stir constantly for about 30 seconds or so, then remove from burner and stir for another 30 seconds or so,  the pan will continue to cook the eggs.  return to burner, repeat the process until the eggs are almost done, add your seasons then (if you add them earlier it colors the eggs) return to burner and repeat the 30 second cycle until they're done.

2 minutes ago, Kormath said:

scrambled eggs

Well it's easy when the yolk is SUPPOSED to break!

Haven't made scrambled eggs in a LONG time... That method is definitely better than my "throw the sh*t in and mix it until it's cooked" method.

6 minutes ago, Truth said:

Well it's easy when the yolk is SUPPOSED to break!

True, just get to eat more eggs when i want a runny yolk on my steak and screw it up lol

I do the throw it in and mix it up when i'm doing a scramble with bacon and taters and whatnot in it.

Edited by Kormath

20 minutes ago, Kormath said:

my son went to a "Cooking Matters" class and the instructor showed him an easy way to do scrambled eggs.  He taught me an i love it.  I make breakfast burritos now with them. 

Put 4 eggs in a sauce pan, 1 tablespoon or so of butter, and 1 tablespoon of creme fraiche or sour cream.

Set a burner on high, wait for it to heat up then put the pan on for about 30 seconds or just until the eggs start to cook. remove from burner, stir for about 10 - 15 seconds, then put back on the burner, stir constantly for about 30 seconds or so, then remove from burner and stir for another 30 seconds or so,  the pan will continue to cook the eggs.  return to burner, repeat the process until the eggs are almost done, add your seasons then (if you add them earlier it colors the eggs) return to burner and repeat the 30 second cycle until they're done.

This is how I scramble them but I use the microwave, cause I've an electric cooker, so doesn't quite have the same effect as a burner annoyingly.

6 hours ago, Syrens said:

That's exactly how I learned to make apple pie.

Bobby Flay got me started, but with trial and error I found a way to tweak it and add Fireball for some extra kick.

I haven't had cake in over a decade.  ALWAYS PIE.

• Like 1

So I have a question for you guys. Got into a heated food argument with one of my neighbors. Of all things, we were arguing about food. 

So which is "better"... A roast or stew? I mean when you think about it, they are very similar and you can make both taste basically the same. 

6 hours ago, ChrisCr0ss said:

So I have a question for you guys. Got into a heated food argument with one of my neighbors. Of all things, we were arguing about food. 

So which is "better"... A roast or stew? I mean when you think about it, they are very similar and you can make both taste basically the same. 

I wouldn't say there's a 'better' option in all truth.  I mean, they're not the same, they're very different even if it's made from the same beast.  I think it comes down to what you're wanting 'on the day' rather than 'this beats this' argument.

I'm aware that's not entirely what you were asking but it's like choosing between pizza and calzone, they're all essentially the same ingredients, but entirely different forms, and it just depends on your mood I find.

On 1/21/2019 at 9:13 PM, ChrisCr0ss said:

Similar?  like yeah they have meat and veggies but that's it.  Roast is good in the summer, best thing i like about it is you can take the left over meat and make sandwiches.  Stew is a good cold weather food.  different veggies usually found in stew.  Sauce is thicker, fills you up more at least how i make it it does :)  Different veggies in stew, corn peas, smaller stuff easier to eat in a spoon.  Roast has taters, celery, carrots, etc. in larger chunk and slices.

So for me a roast is better in the warm months, a stew is better in the cold months.  

On 1/21/2019 at 6:08 PM, BropolloCreed79 said:

That's exactly how I learned to make apple pie.

Bobby Flay got me started, but with trial and error I found a way to tweak it and add Fireball for some extra kick.

I haven't had cake in over a decade.  ALWAYS PIE.

I make apple pie with Alton Brown's recipe -- using 80 proof Applejack in both the crust and the pie itself.

Keep a bottle in the back of the fridge for just such an occasion.

On 1/21/2019 at 10:13 PM, ChrisCr0ss said:

So which is "better"... A roast or stew?

Barbecue.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

I'll take "smoked" over "barbecue" unless we're conflating the two into one package of deliciousness.

To me, "barbecue" IS smoked. It's a noun, not a verb. Anything else using non-smoke direct or indirect heat is either "grilling" or "roasting".

I always HAAAAATE it when people say, "Come over for barbecue!" Then they start grilling hamburgers and hot dogs. Pffttt. Liars.

THIS is "barbecue".

tumblr_orvbp1QnLT1r83swio1_400.gif

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cokeyskunk said:

To me, "barbecue" IS smoked. It's a noun, not a verb. Anything else using non-smoke direct or indirect heat is either "grilling" or "roasting".

Oh, we're on the same page.  I just didn't want to be presumptuous.

I never call what I do with propane "barbecue", I call it grilling.  And yes, despite my heathen ways I will gladly sacrifice the flavor of charcoal for the convenience of propane.  A little seasoning goes a LONG way.

• Like 1