Is there a food thread?

watery buffalo

4 hours ago, Truth said:

@Cokeyskunk You need to either find a way for me to make good barbecue without a smoker, or come be my personal chef. I can't pay you, but I'll always say thank you!

Here's what you do:

1. Sign up for email notifications for the word "Smoker" under "Free Stuff" on Craigslist.
  2. Start watching episodes of BBQ with Franklin on YouTube.
  3. By the time you've watched the whole (very interesting but not very many episodes) series, you'll have found a decent quality FREE second-hand offset smoker.
  4. Fire it up and use your new skills.

P.S., if you live in an apartment and have nowhere for a smoker pit, consider begging your parents for a small patch of real estate in their backyard where you can keep it, and sweeten the deal by offering delicious barbecue meals (if they buy the meat).

Enjoy. 

(P.S.S. - always use Oak. ONLY Oak.)

2 minutes ago, Truth said:

Meh, I tried...

I still say you should open that barbecue place up here.

Tell you what.

If I sell the screenplay, I'll fly you and a few old buddies from the old F13 forum days to Ft. Worth for a massive barbecue party in my backyard.

Best I can do. 😁

18 hours ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

I don't know... a good pork shoulder with cherry wood makes some exceptional bark.

Agreed. Fruit wood does give a good dynamic to pork. But oak works quite well, too.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cokeyskunk said:

If I sell the screenplay

I want details! But I know better than to ask lol

Did you ever hear about F13 Vengeance that Brownspace was working on?

I backed it before they changed the name. Used to be Mythos, but I guess they obtained some sort of rights. Haven't heard anything in a while though. I think the plan was to finish up filming soon.

Edit: Found a link

Edited by Truth

Anyone have experience with boxed cake mix?

I ask because I want to surprise my sister with a cake. Her birthday is next weekend and she got laid off from work so I want to cheer her up. I figured making something would show her I care more than just buying a cake. I just don't know what kind to get or how complicated it is lol

On 1/24/2019 at 8:23 AM, BropolloCreed79 said:

Oh, we're on the same page.  I just didn't want to be presumptuous.

I never call what I do with propane "barbecue", I call it grilling.  And yes, despite my heathen ways I will gladly sacrifice the flavor of charcoal for the convenience of propane.  A little seasoning goes a LONG way.

Same, however i hate going to a restaurant and spending good money on a steak then gagging on the propane aftertaste.  I use propane myself, and never get that propane flavor. There has to be something wrong with the restaurant (outback steakhouse for one) when you get that overpowering propane taste.  Last time i went there i returned my steak twice then told them not to bother with the third one, just bring my bill.  they charged me for all 3 steaks.  after a nice discussion with the manager and the waiter i had they wanted to give me a free meal.  Seriously,  they wanted me to return and eat their garbage again.  Just to get out of there i accepted and gave the free meal to a co-worker.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2019 at 11:24 AM, Glopez said:

Anyone watch the super bowl here? I don't but I do attend a family gathering for the food. lol Looking forward to some appetizers and pizza tomorrow.

Nope, i skipped it.  Paramount network had a marathon of COPS i was watching, then i played the new Tomb Raider game when i got bored of cops.  I despise the Patriots, and don't give a sh*t one way or another about the Rams.  And then the half time show was a total waste, they dipping into the bottom of the barrel for talent.  Maroon 5 i like but the others are about as entertaining as watching paint dry, no  actually paint drying may be more entertaining than Big Boi.

I did make some killer steak n cheese quesadillas and spicy provolone cheese sticks with a home made marinara to dip them in.   

Also tried making a bacon cheeseburger casserole on Saturday that wasn't too bad.  had to season the hell out of it after cooking it though as i followed the recipe (first time making it) and whoever wrote the recipe loves bland food i guess. 

On 1/18/2019 at 12:14 PM, Truth said:

First off, this thread needed a bump.

Second, I'm going to have to try this...

Third, HOW THE **** DO YOU NOT ENJOY BACON BY ITSELF?!

I don't know man, I think it is too salty for me or something. I have tried low sodium kind and it isn't as good. Go figure. lol

On 2/5/2019 at 5:35 PM, VICKSUN said:

I don't know man, I think it is too salty for me or something. I have tried low sodium kind and it isn't as good. Go figure. lol

Bacon should be its own food group. my favorite is fresh off the hog from the butcher, uncured unsmoked just good ol' tasty bacon :)

11 minutes ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

Cola candied bacon will change your life.  It takes a lot of work, but IMO it's worth it.

i used to love brown sugar candied bacon, but then i grew up and can't have sugars anymore, i cheat at holidays though :)  might have to look up this cola candy bacon and try it anyway, it is bacon after all.  to hell with what the doctor says for 1 snack lol

And there it is all over the internet!

for those curious like me -

1.5 lb thick cut bacon (2 - 12 oz pkgs)

2 cans Coke (12 oz)

separate bacon and place in baking dish

pour coke in baking dish, cover and refridgerate for at least 2 hours

Preheat oven to 400, line baking sheet(s) with the coke marinated bacon, bake for 20-25 minutes

Edited by Kormath

• 2 weeks later...

One of my favorite flavor combos is an outdoor grilled burger one of them thick meaty ones, topped with a nice stack of thick-cut bacon, melted cheese, and BBQ sauce while sipping a coke alongside it. I have not tried cola candies bacon but based on this alone, I think I would enjoy it. Meat + coke/cola = heaven.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RON said:

One of my favorite flavor combos is an outdoor grilled burger one of them thick meaty ones, topped with a nice stack of thick-cut bacon, melted cheese, and BBQ sauce while sipping a coke alongside it. I have not tried cola candies bacon but based on this alone, I think I would enjoy it. Meat + coke/cola = heaven.

The first time I made candied bacon, it was intended for burgers.

It didn't make it off the stove top.  Straight into my belly.

On 2/19/2019 at 10:53 PM, BropolloCreed79 said:

The first time I made candied bacon, it was intended for burgers.

It didn't make it off the stove top.  Straight into my belly.

I still want to try your Smoked Jack Burgers. Will make them one day.

• Like 1

I suck at cooking anything. I want to get better at it just so I can get off of eating fast food and frozen meals. Anyone got some easy recipes suited for like a 12 year old (I am not 12 but I have the kitchen skills of a 12 year old LOL!)??

On 2/22/2019 at 5:20 PM, elmZ said:

I suck at cooking anything. I want to get better at it just so I can get off of eating fast food and frozen meals. Anyone got some easy recipes suited for like a 12 year old (I am not 12 but I have the kitchen skills of a 12 year old LOL!)??

you like pork?  i have a super simple pretzel crusted pork loin recipe.   You can swap out the pork for chicken breasts but i like pork better in this one.

• 2 pork loins (6-8 oz each)
  • 2 Tablespoons mayo
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 2 Tablespoons mayo (yes listed twice, you use it twice)
  • 1 Tbsp brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup pretzel crumbs

Preheat oven to 400 F

Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and set aside

Pat the pork loins dry with a paper towel and set them aside

in a small bowl mix 2 Tablespoons of mayo, the mustard, and the brown sugar together well for the mustard sauce, then set it aside.

Crush pretzels into crumbs, enough for about 1/2 cup and dump then in a shallow bowl or on a plate

In another shallow bowl add the remaining 2 Tablespoons of mayo, and about 1 teaspoon of water and mix well.  You want the mayo somewhat runny to coat the pork loins.

Dip the pork loins in the mayo/water mix so they're coated all over, let the excess drip back into the bowl.  then place the pork on the pretzel crumbs.  you want the pork loin totally covered in crumbs, press them into the meat.  then set the loins aside on a plate.

heat a frying pan over medium heat.  My stove is electric, dial goes from 1 to 9 and HI,  i set it just under 5 for this.  Once the pan is hot add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, then carefully place the coated pork loins in the pan.  Cook for 2 - 3 minutes until the crust is golden brown, then flip and cook for 2 - 3 minutes more. 

Transfer the pork to the baking pan, and bake in the oven for about 8 minutes.  If you have a meat thermometer you want the internal center temp to be at least 145 F no higher than 155 F or the pork becomes dry and chewy.

Remove the pork, plate it, drizzle the mustard sauce over the pork.  

If you swap it out with chicken you want the chicken cooked to a minimum of 165 F internal temp.

I usually have this with pan seared asparagus or brussels sprouts.

• Like 2

I am not big on pork but that sounds really good. I think I only eat pork maybe 10 times a year. I am more of a chicken and turkey guy myself but I might have to give that recipe a try. If elmZ decides to do it too, we can compare and see who did better haha

How are fast food joints around you guys?

I typically get fast food 2 times a week, sometimes more if I am in a hurry or can't be bothered to cook. Anyways, I seem to always get my orders messed up. This is especially true for places like Burger King and Taco Bell. Like how the sam hell do they mess up my orders 90% of the time? Never used to be this way. 

5 hours ago, redscrew said:

How are fast food joints around you guys?

I typically get fast food 2 times a week, sometimes more if I am in a hurry or can't be bothered to cook. Anyways, I seem to always get my orders messed up. This is especially true for places like Burger King and Taco Bell. Like how the sam hell do they mess up my orders 90% of the time? Never used to be this way. 

we only have 1 McDonalds and 2 Subway stores.  I love the triple stack from mcdonalds, gotta get the mcgriddle bun.  And subway i eat at the southern store a couple times a month maybe.  the other store is to far out of the way for me to run there for lunch.

I only order that 1 thing from mcdonalds, my order is never messed up.  Also, it's not as bad in a small community like mine, half the people working there went to school iwth my son, and I'm neighbors with the local franchise owner.  Not sure if that makes a difference but i like to think it does lol. 

Only problem with subway is if you order online and they're busy then you have to wait for them to make it cause they forgot.  This just happened for me for lunch today.  They were also short handed.  the manager was working the front to help out.  I bitched a bit about ordering online and then having to stand in line while she made my order 30 minutes after i placed it, 10 minutes after the app said it would be ready.  Have to see what happens next time order,  might have send a note to the franchise owner.  

• 1 month later...

I just had the most amazing frozen pizza I think I have ever had and I don't know what it was called because my sister threw the box away! I was helping her clean out her garage so she made pizza for us to eat for dinner. The boxes ended up under piles of trash. I almost cried. 

Yesterday was a perfect day. Was sunny and warm but not hot. Unfortunately, I had to work so I couldn't grill anything. Today... It is raining and I am off work. I hate the spring. All the good days for outdoor things happen when I am stuck inside. I wanted to make some burgers. I will probably just go pick some up from a fast food place.

So i got this coupon from Hello Fresh in the mail.  Half price for the first 3 boxes.  i figured what the hell, 25 bucks for 2 meals for 2 people is a decent price (that's half off with shipping).  Ordered an amazingly good chicken dish with dill cream sauce, wishing i could have ordered that twice lol.  The other meal was risotto with sausage and zucchini ribbons.  Never made risotto,  when you watch them on tv you're like oh that's easy just a few minutes.  WRONG!  25-30 minutes standing at the stove stirring rice, adding water, stirring rice, repeat until it's creamy was not fun.  the meal though was really really good.  I was pleasantly surprised how good it was.

Now i have that chicken recipe from their website, going to try and recreate it this weekend.  Not going to bother with the other one as the risotto was really good, just not worth standing there for 30 minutes.

Speaking of grilling, i have these huge pork loins from Costco, usually bake them they're so thick but maybe i'll try grilling them instead.  Just got a bottle of Famous Dave's Rib Rub that is amazing.  Think i'll go buy a brisket and use that on it with a salt shell.  makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kormath said:

Speaking of grilling, i have these huge pork loins from Costco, usually bake them they're so thick but maybe i'll try grilling them instead.  Just got a bottle of Famous Dave's Rib Rub that is amazing.  Think i'll go buy a brisket and use that on it with a salt shell.  makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

No I'm just hungry.