Is there a food thread?

watery buffalo

On 10/15/2018 at 2:19 AM, Skrylaxx said:

I recently got a rice cooker and don't know how I was living before without one. It cooks perfect rice every time without fail. Never to sticky, never too soft. Perfect, just like you get from Chinese restaurants. It has a steam tray as well. I haven't tried it yet but I would like to try it with some fish or chicken this week.

On 10/15/2018 at 4:08 AM, NthnButAGoodTime said:

I'll second that. Once I got an appliance designed for cooking rice, I went from having a household that didn't really like rice to one that looks forward to it 

17 hours ago, Truth said:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055FSN3Q/ref=twister_B009UQBAAY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Seems like a no brainer. I'd spend that easily just getting Chinese food a few times.

13 hours ago, Grey Gato said:

We didn’t know we had always needed a rice cooker until after we got one!   We definitely got our money’s worth out of ours.  

If you’re on the fence about getting one, give it a try!

I'm going to state what will very likely be an unpopular opinion:

I've always made my rice in a lidded pot of water, and it has always come out perfectly, so a rice cooker seems like a waste of money to me.

Please begin your systematic character assassination.

1 minute ago, Cokeyskunk said:

I've always made my rice in a lidded pot of water, and it has always come out perfectly, so a rice cooker seems like a waste of money to me.

The first few times I made rice, it came out awesome. Ever since, it's a sticky pile of mush.

For ~$18 I can get something that ensures I can't f*ck it up, I'd say that's well worth it.

Just now, Truth said:

The first few times I made rice, it came out awesome. Ever since, it's a sticky pile of mush.

For ~$18 I can get something that ensures I can't f*ck it up, I'd say that's well worth it.

1. boil 2 parts water (less for brown rice) and add 1 part rice
  2. stir for 30 sec - 1 min to avoid bottom settling/sticking
  3. cover & cook at lowest setting for 15 minutes
  4. fluff and enjoy

It works perfectly every single time. So I can't justify the cost/counter space/wife complaints to invest in a rice cooker. 

6 minutes ago, Cokeyskunk said:
  1. boil 2 parts water (less for brown rice) and add 1 part rice
  2. stir for 30 sec - 1 min to avoid bottom settling/sticking
  3. cover & cook at lowest setting for 15 minutes
  4. fluff and enjoy

1. Buy rice cooker

2. Make rice

3. Eat rice

I have less steps.

8 minutes ago, Cokeyskunk said:

So I can't justify the cost/counter space/wife complaints to invest in a rice cooker. 

Costs about the same as those ribs did, so it doesn't sound so bad to me.

Counter space might be a problem, but I also have a little closet next to the kitchen I can throw it in.

I'm single...

Sounds like I'm getting a rice cooker!

24 minutes ago, Truth said:

1. Buy rice cooker

2. Make rice

3. Eat rice

I have less steps.

Incorrect.

1. order rice cooker ($$)
  2. wait for rice cooker to arrive
  3. open and plug in rice cooker
  4. add rice to rice cooker
  5. add water to rice cooker
  6. switch on rice cooker
  7. wait 15 minutes
  8. fluff and enjoy

Literally the only thing you're avoiding is the 30-second stir. You're paying ~$20 to not do a 30-second stir.

*I* shall continue to perform the 30-second stir. And save money.

And counter space.

And dignity.

And reputation in the elite rice-making community.

😁

6 minutes ago, Cokeyskunk said:

Literally the only thing you're avoiding is the 30-second stir. You're paying ~$20 to not do a 30-second stir.

I don't see what the problem is there... lol

Edit: All this talk about rice is making me really want some rice...

Edited by Truth

48 minutes ago, Cokeyskunk said:

Incorrect.

1. order rice cooker ($$)
  2. wait for rice cooker to arrive
  3. open and plug in rice cooker
  4. add rice to rice cooker
  5. add water to rice cooker
  6. switch on rice cooker
  7. wait 15 minutes
  8. fluff and enjoy

*I* shall continue to perform the 30-second stir. And save money.

And counter space.

And dignity.

And reputation in the elite rice-making community.

😁

As someone who spent three years he'd rather forget managing in a burrito joint, a good rice cooker is worth it's weight in gold.  Set it and forget it, no need to bring water to boil, monitor, stir, reduce heat, or trust that shady "Uncle Ben" fellow (there's only one "Uncle Ben" in my book, and he died because of Peter's selfishness).

When juggling multiple things at once for a proper meal, a rice cooker is a convenience that makes everything run much, MUCH smoother, at least in my experience.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cokeyskunk said:

I can't justify the cost/counter space/wife complaints to invest in a rice cooker. 

So don't get a rice cooker. Get an instant pot. Still does rice.

AND SO MUCH MORE!

5 hours ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

Set it and forget it, no need to bring water to boil, monitor, stir, reduce heat, or trust that shady "Uncle Ben" fellow

Uhhhhhh....

"It's ok, some of my best friends are rice brands."

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Cokeyskunk said:

Such as?

Curiosity made me look... Seems like most of them are slow cookers/pressure cookers/rice cookers/steamers.

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Multi-Use-Programmable-Pressure/dp/B00FLYWNYQ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1539724327&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=instant+pot&psc=1

Interesting, but they seem kind of pricey.

Edited by Truth

14 hours ago, Truth said:

Curiosity made me look... Seems like most of them are slow cookers/pressure cookers/rice cookers/steamers.

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Multi-Use-Programmable-Pressure/dp/B00FLYWNYQ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1539724327&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=instant+pot&psc=1

As long as it is your money, price means nothing to us.  hehehehe

15 hours ago, Truth said:

they seem kind of pricey

That's @NthnButAGoodTime for ya. Always lighting his cigars with $100 bills, burning stock certificates rather than chopping firewood, and replacing his "peasant" iron plumbing pipes with 24k gold ones "in case someone digs near my house."

. . . oh, and buying Instant Pots.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Cokeyskunk said:

That's @NthnButAGoodTime for ya. Always lighting his cigars with $100 bills, burning stock certificates rather than chopping firewood, and replacing his "peasant" iron plumbing pipes with 24k gold ones "in case someone digs near my house."

Hey, if I'm going to spend frivolously, it's going to be on important stuff, like craft beer, imported liquor, and artesianal charcuterie boards.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cokeyskunk said:

42 minutes ago, Cokeyskunk said:

*gasp* @Cokeyskunk double posted!!!! I'm TELLING!!!!

Edit: Wait, does that work anywhere?

Edited by Truth

22 minutes ago, Truth said:

Technically, I didn't. There's a hidden comment in-between them that is being reviewed by Invision. (just for format purposes)  As soon as they've had a chance to check things out with it, it'l be unhidden. And I, redeemed.

24 minutes ago, Truth said:

Edit: Wait, does that work anywhere?

Should.

21 hours ago, Cokeyskunk said:

You are now the 2nd person this week to recommend one of these to me.

Such as?

One pot meals, slow cooker stuff, yogurt, desserts, cook meats from frozen, just lots of things.

21 hours ago, Truth said:

So are washing machines, but I'm not going back to cleaning my clothes in the crick out back. 

6 hours ago, Cokeyskunk said:

For the record, I had my manservant type this.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, NthnButAGoodTime said:

So are washing machines, but I'm not going back to cleaning my clothes in the crick out back. 

Mine came with the apartment (and it's in my bathroom of all places).

2 hours ago, Cokeyskunk said:

There's a hidden comment in-between them that is being reviewed by Invision. (just for format purposes)  As soon as they've had a chance to check things out with it, it'l be unhidden. And I, redeemed.

Spoiler alert, @Truth, I broke the forums again.

Edit: I bet "artesianal charcuterie" is what got me flagged.  It just sounds dirty.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

Edit: I bet "artesianal charcuterie" is what got me flagged.  It just sounds dirty.

Turned me on...

Edit: This got flagged? lmfao

Guess there's no sexting allowed...

Edited by Truth
  • Haha 1

How does one cook and not mess it up? I swear, I can mess up pouring cereal in a bowl. End up burning it some how. 

I was making this really simply salsa rice deal I found on YouTube last night for lunch and I somehow managed to make it look like something my dog would barf up. It also tasted nasty. I don't know how the hell I messed it up either. It is like I black out in the middle of cooking and don't realize it. lol

On 10/17/2018 at 12:31 PM, Truth said:

I shall accept apologies now.

17 hours ago, DiamondDave said:

How does one cook and not mess it up? I swear, I can mess up pouring cereal in a bowl. End up burning it some how. 

I was making this really simply salsa rice deal I found on YouTube last night for lunch and I somehow managed to make it look like something my dog would barf up. It also tasted nasty. I don't know how the hell I messed it up either. It is like I black out in the middle of cooking and don't realize it. lol

21d5a523664739.58df065a5703b.gif