Red Dead Redemption 2 allows players to upgrade and customize the over 50 weapons included in the game. This is a first for the series, as it wasn't possible in Red Dead Redemption. An upgrade system is featured in Red Dead Revolver, but it's much smaller in scope.
Customizing a weapon in Red Dead Redemption 2 means changing its stats and its performance. Among the customization options known before release are new barrels, grips, sights and scopes, which modify the weapon's basic stats: damage, range, fire rate, accuracy and reload speed. By modifying a weapon, players are able to make it better suited to their own playstyle, resulting in weapons that will be slightly different for all players.
Scopes, in particular, change a rifle's performance considerably. While available by default on sniper rifles, scopes can be added to any rifle as players see fit, unlocking the ability to change between regular view and scope at any time while aiming.
LATEST RDR2 NEWS CLIPS
Upgrades will also do more than simply alter a weapon's stats, as they will also unlock special skills and bring additional benefits. The Off-Hand Holsters give Arthur Morgan the ability to dual-wield guns, while other holsters upgrades will protect weapons from degradation against the elements.
When you are examining a weapon, you'll see many different stats and other information.
- Weapon: This is the name and type of the weapon you are looking at.
- Dmg: This number shows how many points of damage the weapon can cause.
- Rng: This is the weapon's rage, or how distant a target may be before firing at them is ineffective.
- F.R.: Your weapon's firing rate, or how much time must pass between two shots.
- Acc: The weapon's accuracy, or how likely a shot will land where you aim it.
- Rel: The reload speed of the weapon, determining how quick your character reloads it.
- Cost: The price of the weapon.
- Model: Indicates what real-life weapon it is based on.
Red Dead Redemption 2 also allows for visual customization of weapons which, combined with upgrading, allows players to create unique weapons.
Customization options are varied. Players have the chance to change the weapon's metal and wood, varnish and add engravings. Metals and engravings, in particular, can be customized per component, with players having the chance to change engravings and colors for several different parts of a gun, such as trigger guard, frame and barrel. Inlay metals for engravings can also be selected.