*SPOILERS* RDO Story Mission Tips

KRooKeD KRoW

Not everyone is grinding/farming/enjoying in RDO the same way, the one I've been using most is the quick match for Story Missions.  To make the most of these, we need to do them fast and have no deaths/restarts.  Thought I'd share some of the things I discovered to make the missions go quicker and more easily, and if any of you have other tips, please share them. I don't remember the mission names, so will do my best to describe what happens in the mission.

1. In the mission at Fort Wallace, to kill the leader and destroy the ammo dumps, you can shoot the leader through the window that's just to the right of the door to the house he is in.  I've seen countless people (myself included) open the door just to get blown away before they can even draw.  For whatever reason, he does not shoot back through the window. Finally got killed through the window by the boss after doing this like 20 times, so he CAN kill you, guess he just usually hits the wall.

2. Most of the missions have you following an NPC to an unmarked location, the NPC is leading you to an ambush spot, or where all the fighting is happening.  This one comes with experience, but once you know exactly where the NPC is leading you, you can usually head to the spot and trigger the next part while the NPC is still far away.  This does not work when following Lee on foot, ambushing the different camp grounds, as you need to stay within a certain distance of him, or a couple other spots where you follow the NPC a short distance.  You can still go to the location, but you will have to wait in these instances.

3. For the mission to hijack the train and head to the supply depot, as soon as the mission starts, head directly east to the train tracks, then follow them south towards Saint Denis, you will come across the train almost immediately and can hijack it without having to follow the NPC.  I like to leave the driver alive, he does not fight back unless you come right up to him, and he'll drive for you so you can loot the train.  Not sure what he does when reaching the supply depot, as someone always kills him and takes over by then. Also, when going to the room where the 4 targets are locked up, throwing a stick of dynamite in the room next door usually kills all 4 of them.  You may have to throw it right next to the flimsy wall that separates the rooms to get them all. May not be the most cost effective, but it can be fun.  And escaping on your horses is much faster than escaping on the train.  Besides the train going slower, it also has to travel about 5 times as far to escape.

4.  When attacking Fort Mercer in the Australian Armor (again, you can rush ahead to the camp next to Fort Mercer to trigger the cutscene), you can enter the Fort from some rocks that are climbing the wall around the corner to the left of the main entrance.  Just pause at the top of the rocks before climbing over the wall to shoot the 2-3 NPCs that are usually there on the wall.  And when fighting the armored boss at the end, throwing a stick of dynamite at his feet not only does massive damage, but also knocks him down for a few seconds.  I like to use those few seconds to rush up to him and unleash with my weapon, usually he dies before he can get back on his feet.

5. When chasing Crawfish and his 3 friends so you can lasso them, as soon as you get on your horse to chase them, head straight ahead to the river and cross there.  It's a path so it's really shallow and you can get across quickly.  From there, just follow the river south towards the guys, they all eventually cross the river before the train tracks, and you should have no trouble catching up with them well before then.

6. When doing the mission where at the start, it tells you to go to Van Horn or the camp, you don't need to kill everybody, just the lieutenants.  The lieutenant in Van Horn is in the (saloon?) which has a back door to it.  He is right next to the door, so if you sneak around back, kick the door open, aim and shoot quick, nobody has a chance to react, you kill him and can run away without risking more damage or ammo.  The one in the camp is next to the campfire towards the back, wearing a reddish jacket.  Sneak over to where you have a good LoS on him, aim for the headshot, kill him and again, run away.  Then again, after meeting back up with the marshall, if you know where to go, you can run ahead and trigger the combat.

Edited by KRooKeD KRoW
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, KRooKeD KRoW said:

4.  When attacking Fort Mercer in the Australian Armor (again, you can rush ahead to the camp next to Fort Mercer to trigger the cutscene), you can enter the Fort from some rocks that are climbing the wall around the corner to the left of the main entrance.  Just pause at the top of the rocks before climbing over the wall to shoot the 2-3 NPCs that are usually there on the wall.  And when fighting the armored boss at the end, throwing a stick of dynamite at his feet not only does massive damage, but also knocks him down for a few seconds.  I like to use those few seconds to rush up to him and unleash with my weapon, usually he dies before he can get back on his feet.

You know how long it took me to figure out that I would have to knock him down via dynamite to get anywhere with him? LOL I felt like such an idiot when I realized how easy it was after that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bluntTR4P said:

You know how long it took me to figure out that I would have to knock him down via dynamite to get anywhere with him? LOL I felt like such an idiot when I realized how easy it was after that.

Lol, ya, took me a while to figure that out too.  Went dynamite-happy one day, and was seeing where it would work and how well, was surprised when it knocked him down, been soooo much easier since then.

• Like 1