What should i be doing to get better at PvP (sorry if this kind of post gets posted all the time)

So quick story my fiend just bought RDR2 a few days ago. I haven't played since launch so i join him. We usually mind our own business do bounty and trade quests, but then we will run into people who just camp towns and KOS. I understand PvP will happen, but the thing that gets me is im getting strait wrecked and one shot. I have got my fair share of kills, but some of these guys we run into wont die. I've even had a guy stand in front of me take 3 to 4 shots in the face take barely any health damage then one shot me and then precede to spawn kill over and over. Like i said i get it PvP will happen it just gets frustrating that i cant even leave because i just get hunted across the map till i leave the server. I just want to be able to put up a fight and not be thrown around like a used blow up doll.Again sorry if this has been asked before iv looked around and couldn't find anything relevant to help. Again sorry if this has been asked before iv looked around and couldn't find anything relevant to help.

Edited by Kean_1
Removed spam links later edited in by OP (banned)
23 hours ago, epicvampire said:

So quick story my fiend just bought RDR2 a few days ago. I haven't played since launch so i join him. We usually mind our own business do bounty and trade quests, but then we will run into people who just camp towns and KOS. I understand PvP will happen, but the thing that gets me is im getting strait wrecked and one shot. I have got my fair share of kills, but some of these guys we run into wont die. I've even had a guy stand in front of me take 3 to 4 shots in the face take barely any health damage then one shot me and then precede to spawn kill over and over. Like i said i get it PvP will happen it just gets frustrating that i cant even leave because i just get hunted across the map till i leave the server. I just want to be able to put up a fight and not be thrown around like a used blow up doll.Again sorry if this has been asked before iv looked around and couldn't find anything relevant to help. Again sorry if this has been asked before iv looked around and couldn't find anything relevant to help.

I don't know what level you are, but I assume pretty low as you only got the game a few days ago.  As you will have seen, many of the weapons and ammo types are locked behind level firewalls.  I'm level 180, and haven't fired a regular bullet in months, it's all express or high velocity for me (or explosive if another player is griefing me).  Plus if you swim you gain stamina and if you fish (?!) you gain health.  I have done a lot of both, so my character could run longer than yours and has a greater reserve of health (and dead eye, which improves as you use it).  Also, some of the level three ability cards are pretty powerful.  For instance, I use Never Without One level 3 and it means that I am immune to a first head shot.  Another level 3 card increases the damage I do with dual wield handguns.  Again, I only use that on griefers (I single wield for realism the rest of the time, I much prefer authentic).  I don't like ability cards, but use them as I have to as others have them and there are griefers around.  The other day a level 7 player had me dead to rights - he was behind me, shot me in the head with a carbine repeater.  Actually all that happened was he shot off my hat - I turned around, twin navy revolvers, he was dead.  Kept chasing me for a while, I killed him four times and he got the message.  So a level disparity involving a low level player gives a big equipment disparity, which affects range, damage and accuracy depending on loadout.  I assume that you have customised your weapons in the gunsmith, but if not then your guns won't be as accurate or have the range of the same gun wielded by a higher level player.  Card upgrades are expensive ($50 or so to buy, $350 for first upgrade and then IIRC $500 for the final?  It's of that order, anyway) so focus on four you like the look of and try the Collector role would be my advice - good money and great xp for levelling up).  Also, when killed by someone that enables you to parlay - neither of you can hurt the other for ten minutes, which gives you times to high tail it out of there.  And being chased across the map can be exciting (except the griefer will have a fast horse with great stamina).  Defensive mode also makes it harder for others to lock on to you and they have to be closer to see you (something to think about, although I rarely use it as it doesn't feel realistic to me.  might help you through the early days, though).

Anyway, that was very long and dense (didn't even use paragraphs, sorry, rushing as teaching my daughter maths in a moment!) but has some initial thoughts.  I'm far from the most knowledgeable on here but it's a star.  Basically as you level up you can gain better kit, better health and better cards.  I felt the same early on - now I'm always competitive and often on the winning side unless there's a passing elite.

It's a great game - give it time to punch through the learning curve!