PS4 Technical issues...specifically HDD

Jackthestripper

So, I have a PS4 that I believe needs a new hard drive. I had put an old laptop hard drive in it and it worked for four or five months but when I went to install rdr2, it said it would take around 29 hours, which we all know is wrong as it is a 90-minute install. Other games such as a Ratchet & Clank were installed and work perfectly fine. It is not an issue with the available storage space as it is a 1tb and Ratchet & Clank is the only game installed on it, and IIRC,  possibly Grand Theft Auto V. I guess my question is, what is a compatible hard drive that I can purchase that will work?

Edited by Jackthestripper

32 minutes ago, Jackthestripper said:

So, I have a PS4 that I believe needs a new hard drive. I had put an old laptop hard drive in it and it worked for four or five months but when I went to install rdr2, it said it would take around 29 hours, which we all know is wrong as it is a 90-minute install. Other games such as a Ratchet & Clank were installed and work perfectly fine. It is not an issue with the available storage space as it is a 1tb and Ratchet & Clank is the only game installed on it, and IIRC,  possibly Grand Theft Auto V. I guess my question is, what is a compatible hard drive that I can purchase that will work?

you can connect any usb 3.0 drive to it and use that as your installation source.

1 hour ago, Kormath said:

you can connect any usb 3.0 drive to it and use that as your installation source.

Thank you for this information! I thought external drives were only for storing data  and not for playing games. I guess that would be the way to go, as long as I can still play games off the external storage.... I just reinitialized the system and downloaded the latest firmware. It is saying that the data disc will take another 11 hours and all disc data will take 22 hours. Clearly if something is very wrong! Realistically, rdr2 the only game that will go on this console so I wouldn't need a big hard drive. Is it best to go with a SATA?

Edited by Jackthestripper

dunno about internal, just what i googled for external.  I'm on xbox, i store and play all my games from 2 Seagate 2TB drives.  from what i read you should be able to store and play from USB 3.0 external drives also.

12 hours ago, Kormath said:

dunno about internal, just what i googled for external.  I'm on xbox, i store and play all my games from 2 Seagate 2TB drives.  from what i read you should be able to store and play from USB 3.0 external drives also.

Upon further research, it is confirmed that I definitely can store and play of the external hard drive. The user interface still comes up and everything operates fine, like I said, even Ratchet & Clank. I'll be picking up one of those today. They're reasonably priced at Best Buy. Thanks for your help

21 hours ago, Kormath said:

Went and picked up a 1 terabyte hard drive at Best Buy today. In less than 5 minutes I had it hooked up installing Red Dead. Thanks again for your help!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, redscrew said:

I know someone who runs all his games off a beefy external drive. Said it works better than using what they give you are upgrading manually like you did. Let us know how it works out for you.

Working awesome man... plugged it in and formatted it in less than 5 minutes. Had rdr2 installing at a normal time, not 36 hours LMAO had it hooked up and played all day in the same room as my wife so we could roll together LOL it might be me, but I think it may load the game faster than my new PS4 Slim.