Free aim only appears to have been removed

MentalMiggy

Since the release of the game, players playing online using free aim, would only be placed in a game with other free aim users. Attempting to change the setting to aim assist whilst in game would result in a message saying this option is unavailable with this game mode. It appears that since todays patch, this is no longer the case and auto aim users are being placed in game with free aim users. You can test this by changing the setting now whilst in game. I'm seriously hoping this is a bug or oversight and not an intended change

• Like 1

Thank you KVNknowsbest. Can you please let me know what your results are. If you join free roam , it now allows you to change your aim to auto aim without an error message. Although the auto aim doesn't work for mouse and keyboard users, anyone using a controller can just switch auto aim on and lock onto players with a button push. I plugged in a controller just to test it.

Today, when logging in, I noticed that Rockstar have removed the setting in control options for mouse and keyboard to select aiming types, but left it in for Controllers. After experimenting a little by plugging in a controller, my impression is that controller users can still use auto aim but the range for it to lock on appears to have been somewhat reduced. I feel this will effect the game mechanic somewhat as free aim users are just going to be trying to snipe, whilst controller users will be trying to get up close and get a lock on. It's also worth mentioning that free aim users are at a disadvantage in that even when controller users can't see you because of grass or foilage etc, they can still just lock on and fire.
I feel like rather than addressing the situation by returning the setting for selecting free aim or auto aim servers, Rockstar is instead just trying to prevent people from noticing that it's a thing

• 3 weeks later...

I just started playing online today. Mouse and Keyboard only have one option under "Targeting and Weapons".. and that is "automatic pin switching".

This has broken PVP on RDR2 online games. They can track and  shoot you through all the shrubs and trees with a controller, while mouse users are helpless against it.

Also worth mentioning that for the mouse sensitivity settings, they don't change anything when you slide the bars at all. The bars slide, but The sensitivity remains the same.

I am very happy I did not purchase the ultimate

rdr2 autoaim removed mouse.PNG

Edited by digitalcleaner
Forgot to put screenshot of settings

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed there was only auto-aim for controllers but not for keyboard+mouse. Totally unfair when you give an aimbot to controller users on the PC, but gimp the **** out of mouse users. The aim-assist allows controller users to lock onto targets through bushes, trees , shrubs and the like. Not only can they instantly headshot you, they can lock onto you without even seeing you!!!

Here is the response I got from Rockstar support when asking about auto-aim for kekyboard mouse:

============================================================

Valek R.'s reply:

Hello, Thank you for your reply. We understand your concern regarding the auto-aim not working while using a Keyboard and mouse. We like to inform you that it was as per intended for the keyboard and mouse you can use the controller for the auto-aim. we appreciate your understanding in this regarding. If you have any other issues please let us know. Best regards, Valek N. Rockstar Support

December 7, 2019

============================================================