Question about camp dogs

Dr_Wigglespank

I'm considering getting a camp dog, as I have the Husky available. Just wondering how much noise the dog makes in camp (barking, growling, whining, etc.). Also, do I need to take care of it the same way I do my horse? Since Cripps runs the camp, I'd expect him to take care of that.

The noise is my main concern. I can see it getting old pretty quickly, much like Cripps recounting the same stories over & over.

Also, if I don't like the dog, is there a way to remove it?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Dr_Wigglespank said:

I'm considering getting a camp dog, as I have the Husky available. Just wondering how much noise the dog makes in camp (barking, growling, whining, etc.). Also, do I need to take care of it the same way I do my horse? Since Cripps runs the camp, I'd expect him to take care of that.

The noise is my main concern. I can see it getting old pretty quickly, much like Cripps recounting the same stories over & over.

Also, if I don't like the dog, is there a way to remove it?

Doesn’t make much more noise than a real dog...doesn’t bother me. Having a dog helps prevent attacks on your camp, the dog will come bark to you no matter where you’re at on the map and you can fast travel for free right there on the spot to get back and defend your camp, there is also a daily challenge that pops up for “Pet a dog” and when you have one at camp, it doesn’t get much easier, you don’t have to feed it or anything and yes you can get rid of it should you choose. 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Dr_Wigglespank said:

Thanks for the info. I don't mind dogs, but you never know if the developers went overboard & made it annoying.

Using the dog for the dog petting daily is a good tip, too. Took me a while to find one the last time that one came up.

Right on, no problem at all - we are all here to help each other and yes, thankfully they didn’t go overboard with it... totally get why you were checking... 

• Like 1

May I ask what happens when someone raids your camp? The trader role really isnt a big part of my gameplay, mainly because of the problems related to Cripps not setting up camps. I may get into it more when the camp location problems are resolved, but as of now, I am not going invest much time or assets in the camp. I give Cripps stuff that I dont really need and will do an occasional delivery. I use the camp when its nearby basically to pick up mail and orders that I make when I am out doing other things. I have only once had someone near my camp, had a row and chased him off. I didnt notice anything missing and I believe that he left some things behind that I collected.

So is a dog really necessary or just an accessory?