Promote my Youtube channel.

CptWitty

Question

7 answers to this question

23 minutes ago, CptWitty said:

Is there a place on this forum where i can promote my channel? Or post links to videos on my channel?

CptWitty

Hi Cpt,

In answer to your question, no, there isn't.  As per the forum rules:

Advertising/soliciting/self-promotion: Your purpose in joining our community should not be to promote or advertise your site, social media, Youtube videos, etc. Forum contributions made for those reasons will be deleted and are cause for an immediate ban. Legitimate recommendations and external sources of information/help/entertainment etc are of course permitted, but just make sure your mentioning them for the right reasons.

• Like 1

Piggybacking off of what @Kean_1 said, the forum does not allow promotion of private media distribution channels.

However, this does not preclude you from sharing content from your channel on the forum provided: (1) the content shared fits within the context of a relevant topic of conversation (i.e. sharing a funny video of in-game activity as part of a conversation in a thread); (2) the content is embedded in your comment within the forum, and is not a link to the page directly (i.e. "clickbait"); (3) multiple topics are not formed for the specific purpose of sharing videos from said channel--it's one thing to want to share content, but blatantly circumventing the rules will not be tolerated.  

I myself have shared videos that have been embedded from both my own YT content, and from other sources.  There's no harm in that, provided you follow the guidelines above.  If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to any member of the moderation team via private message.

Edit: one more tip--if you are sharing content or a video, specifically from youtube, please be mindful of using the "start at" feature provided by youtube's sharing function so that forum members don't have to sit through a five minute video to get to 30 seconds of content).

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Kean_1 said:

Thanks for clarifying Creed. 

Well, it certainly would look elitist of me to tell folks, "no videos" when I share them all the time.  It's all about intent, and embedding a video at least give the viewer the option to press play or not while at least getting some semblance of the length and content, whereas linking out to a video is like playing Russian Roulette.  I despise external links (must be all that IT Security training at work), so I try to be mindful of that when I comment here--though sometimes I can't help myself.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2019 at 11:17 AM, BropolloCreed79 said:

I despise external links (must be all that IT Security training at work)

Off topic, but we had to do some similar BS here. We were all sent a link to see if we would open it as a test. Most people did, so they forced us to watch some stupid videos.

Then we randomly started getting emails from "Great Security Solutions". Most of us assumed it was spam and ignored it.

THEN we get an email from the IT lady asking why none of us are viewing the information this random company we had never heard of was sending us.

THEY JUST TOLD US TO IGNORE RANDOM EMAILS WE WEREN'T EXPECTING!

@Kean_1 There shouldn't be an issue with @CptWitty having a link to their youtube on their profile, right?

39 minutes ago, Truth said:

@Kean_1 There shouldn't be an issue with @CptWitty having a link to their youtube on their profile, right?

I don't see an issue with that but that's not to say it wouldn't be subject to review/scrutiny depending on the individual situation.  Intent plays a big part in that.

The main point of the rule is to address those that would use this site as a means for self promotion.  .....including trying to sneak around those rules.

I think Creed put it best with his post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1