New Member Here

OleTimer

Howdy....glad I found this forum. I'm new to rdr2 and I must say that it is the best game I ever played, which is not many. I'm 69 years young and I've always liked old western movies and now I get to be the star in one. lol 😎 When I saw this game advertised on tv I just knew I had to buy it. So far I'm mid way through chapter 3. I love all the side missions as well. I do have some questions from more experienced players...

1.  Right now I'm in the middle of the Poison Treasure hunt and just got the third map but...(and this happens a lot to me and Author) I'm riding along by my self and out of nowhere 4or 5 bad guys come after me and I can barely draw my pistol and next thing I know is I'M dead!! I have even tried dead eye which does not help against 4 or 5 bad hombre's shooting at me. It is almost costing me one of the gold bars just trying to stay alive lol ! That's $150 each time you get killed!! Is there a better way to fight off those that are trying to kill you?  Nine times out of ten I'm on my horse when I get attacked. I've even tried getting off my horse to find cover and get shot before I can find any. Tried out running them but their horses are always super fast or at least faster than mine.

2. I'm trying to feed the camp with hunting kills but who or where do I drop off the kill?

3. I have two pistols and when you draw it is always your side arm and not the one you have on front left side.  How do you swap pistols? Both pistols are different kinds.

I  am sure I'll have more questions in the near future and thanks a lot for your suggestions.    Happy Shooting!  

Hi OleTimer, another 'mature' player here (not very mature) glad to hear you're enjoying the game, hope to help.

1. Not sure how to help here, bad buggers coming after you is always a bummer, especially ambushes. I'm not sure what you mean about the $150 each time you die, I've never noticed that, and I die quite a lot too! Do you mean paying off bounties? That can be expensive too, I hate to think how much money I've paid to the law, no wonder they can afford to send so many cops after me... Cut their budget!

The shootin an fightin is probably the hardest bit of the game for us oldies cos it really depends on quick reactions. I fish a lot 🙂

2. When you go to camp, go over to the chuck wagon where Pearson cooks. Stand in front of his table and press (left I think) for 'Donate' to hand over your kills. If you have a deer carcass on your horse you can carry it through camp and people go "Oooh, good kill" but you don't have to if you don't want blood on your coat, it'll still be in your inventory.

3. Press R1 for the wheel, highlight Left handgun and cycle through to a gun you don't want in your right hand. Then, when you cycle to Right handgun the rest of your handguns should be available.

Hope those help, but keep asking. I've played this game for hours every day since the day it came out. I played RDR1 for a similarly ridiculous amount of time, I have clocked up actual *weeks* of time playing Online and I'm on a seriously-slow 2nd run-through of the game, and OleTimer, I still have questions about the game every day, but that's only cos it's the biggest baddest most rootin-tootin an aw that game ever made...

Hi Cory... Thanks so much for your help.  I should have explained  it better on the $150 when you die.  As you are playing a chapter mission if you die in the mission there is no $150 charge no matter how many times you die, However, if you are in the free world and not on a chapter mission then if a gang ambush's you and kill you the penalty is $150 unless you have (I think it is) $10 or less in your bank.  The penalty may go by how much $ you have accumulated.  The treasure hunts are not a chapter mission so if you get killed while on the treasure hunt then that is where the penalty is assessed.  I have about $3500 and if I get killed in a non mission I have to pay a $150 penalty.

You are exactly right, this game is very addictive and I play most every night for several hours.  Happy shooting my friend! 

9 hours ago, cory206 said:

Hi OleTimer, another 'mature' player here (not very mature) glad to hear you're enjoying the game, hope to help.

Video games are just a phase that you will eventually grow out of. (Pac-man was released in 1980.)

The younger folks should just be happy that it keeps us off the streets and out of trouble.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, buttlint said:

(Pac-man was released in 1980

Buttlint I remember travelling all the way across Scotland to see the Pong machine in Prestwick Airport, one of the very first in the country, early 70s, then there was Binatone, followed by long periods in a dark room with Galaxian and Defender machines and a strong smell of glue, a detour to the most addictive quiz machines every pub could find before plugging in a cassette machine and listening to taped white noise, then unplugging the phone and plugging in a 27k modem and listenin to a tune played in white noise and pings... I don't know, things get hazy after that don't they? and then we're here, with a game I can't shake off... again.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OleTimer said:

if a gang ambush's you and kill you the penalty is $150

You know I don't think I've ever noticed that, but can't deny it. I've died plenty times, but when I think about it, it's often from falling off cliffs or bridges (I should know better but vertigo and short-term memory loss are a dangerous combination) and maybe I've just been lucky in ambushes. This is where I polish my knuckles cos, y'know, *winks...* I can be pretty nifty with a shooter if I'm reasonably sober, it's confidence is my problem, I often start off with a handgun and end up using my sniper rifle cos I've run away screaming "Come and get me! and they haven't.

That happens a lot actually.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, buttlint said:

I can imagine what it will be like if we have to move in with our kids.

Kid: "Mom! Grampa is being an a$$hole again. He wont let me play on the Xbox!"

Us: "Shut up you little griefer! Grandmas' diamond broach is going to your cousin!"

I like that,  that will show um!

Welcome to the forum @OleTimer

Not sure how much help I could be with your questions/concerns but I see others have been offering help. If you have any other questions, there are Q&A sections for both the story mode and online end of the game. Feel free to make sure of them. A lot of members answer the questions there. 🙂

• Like 1

On 1/25/2019 at 6:27 PM, OleTimer said:

Howdy....glad I found this forum. I'm new to rdr2 and I must say that it is the best game I ever played, which is not many. I'm 69 years young and I've always liked old western movies and now I get to be the star in one. lol 😎 When I saw this game advertised on tv I just knew I had to buy it. So far I'm mid way through chapter 3. I love all the side missions as well. I do have some questions from more experienced players...

1.  Right now I'm in the middle of the Poison Treasure hunt and just got the third map but...(and this happens a lot to me and Author) I'm riding along by my self and out of nowhere 4or 5 bad guys come after me and I can barely draw my pistol and next thing I know is I'M dead!! I have even tried dead eye which does not help against 4 or 5 bad hombre's shooting at me. It is almost costing me one of the gold bars just trying to stay alive lol ! That's $150 each time you get killed!! Is there a better way to fight off those that are trying to kill you?  Nine times out of ten I'm on my horse when I get attacked. I've even tried getting off my horse to find cover and get shot before I can find any. Tried out running them but their horses are always super fast or at least faster than mine.

2. I'm trying to feed the camp with hunting kills but who or where do I drop off the kill?

3. I have two pistols and when you draw it is always your side arm and not the one you have on front left side.  How do you swap pistols? Both pistols are different kinds.

I  am sure I'll have more questions in the near future and thanks a lot for your suggestions.    Happy Shooting!  

Guessing your playing the story mode and not online?

1. 3rd map of that hunt wouldn't put you in a Wanted DoA area, so you most likely have a bounty from another crime and those are bounty hunters.  Visit a post office and pay your bounties.  Alternatively watch your minimap, when they get close you'll see a red section on the edge of the mini map.  Stop, get off your horse, make sure you have no weapons drawn (select the fist in the weapon wheel), wait for them to approach, target one with LT/L2 then choose the surrender option.  Y on xbox think that's Triangle on PS.  You can surrender and they'll take all your money, or 80% of your bounty if you have enough to cover it.
  2. At the chuckwagon,  Pearson operates it. leave the kills on your horse, walk to the small table beside the wagon and use the tooltips in the bottom right corner to interact.
  3. by default your main hand weapon is drawn when you just tap R1/RB,  if you want to draw a different weapon hold the button to open the weapon wheel, use the right stick to highlight the weapon, then release the R1/RB to select that weapon.  Or you can move to your main hand weapon and use L2/LT or R2/RT to cycle through what's available.  you'll have to do that and change your off hand weapon if you want it in your main hand slot.
  • Like 1