The Mercies of Knowledge in the Epilogue? (spoilers)

Parzival

This was one of a few stranger quests (along with The Veteran and Oh, Brother) that I decided to leave for the Epilogue as some added activities to do with John, but now that I've reached the point in the Epilogue where you can freeroam without any impunity, the quest doesn't spawn. Is this a bug? Can this quest only be done as Arthur? It would be a real annoyance if the latter were the case, as I've already completed many of the collection and I would not like to have to do them all over because no indication of any kind was given that this quest was exclusive to Arthur.

4 hours ago, Parzival said:

This was one of a few stranger quests (along with The Veteran and Oh, Brother) that I decided to leave for the Epilogue as some added activities to do with John, but now that I've reached the point in the Epilogue where you can freeroam without any impunity, the quest doesn't spawn. Is this a bug? Can this quest only be done as Arthur? It would be a real annoyance if the latter were the case, as I've already completed many of the collection and I would not like to have to do them all over because no indication of any kind was given that this quest was exclusive to Arthur.

could be, some stranger missions only spawn in certain chapters, or it could be a timed one where you have to do it in the day or night.

I would have thought Oh Brother could only be done with Arthur, simply on the basis that Arthur's character is discussed, the sister talks about it. Could be wrong but I don't think it would work with John, it's about redemption, and John doesn't get his this game...

10 hours ago, cory206 said:

I would have thought Oh Brother could only be done with Arthur, simply on the basis that Arthur's character is discussed, the sister talks about it. Could be wrong but I don't think it would work with John, it's about redemption, and John doesn't get his this game...

Some missions have different dialogue and cutscenes depending on if you've done certain other missions or not before them. A couple examples:

Spoiler

If you complete The Fine Art of Conversation before doing Of Men and Angels, Arthur will converse with Reverend Swanson rather than Sister Calderon at the train station following Monroe's departure.

If you complete Bridge to Nowhere with John before Archeology for Beginners with Rains Fall, Rains Fall will additionally mention the destruction of the bridge during the ride and ask Arthur if he knows whether or not Eagle Flies was involved.

Edited by Parzival
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like you know a lot more detail than me, I'm just on my 2nd run-through, can't remember all the dialogue, though I do notice the relevant plot conversations. Hope I'm wrong and you can find it, just thought it made more plot sense to be only Arthur doing that bit...

7 hours ago, cory206 said:

Sounds like you know a lot more detail than me, I'm just on my 2nd run-through, can't remember all the dialogue, though I do notice the relevant plot conversations. Hope I'm wrong and you can find it, just thought it made more plot sense to be only Arthur doing that bit...

I'm getting close to finishing up my second playthrough myself. I saw the first difference on YouTube rather than for myself, but the second one I noticed myself while playing because I did the John mission before the Rains Fall mission this time.

Anyway, I bought a guide for the game today and it doesn't mention anything about The Mercies of Knowledge being exclusive to Arthur. Hopefully it's a bug and Rockstar patches it at some point.

• Like 1