Biting the bullet

Kormath

It's been eating at me that i haven't gotten 100% completion yet.  Only a handful of things are left to complete for my 100% according to the social club.  i'm at 93.5% and 8 days, 10 hours, and 2 minutes played now.

• Horseman Challenge 9
  • Horseman Challenge 10
  • Set of cards
  • 9 Graves
  • Dino bones
  • Legendary Fish (have to restore back to get this one)
  • final hunting request
  • Dreamcatchers

Think that's it, have to check in game to make sure.  I was looking last night and it looks like in a huge act of stupidity i reused the same save point from like chapter 4 sometime on.  so i may have to restore quite a ways back to get 100% just cause that friggin legendary fish glitched.  that means another day or 2 of play time added to my 8 days.

Good thing i really like this game!  :)

Let me see if I can plot the route I took for horseman 9, hopefully that might help you a bit as I recall you had problems with that. I made it on my third attempt after dying on the railway bridge twice. 

However, it really pays to do that as John. I’m guessing you know that though. 

Just buy/discard the premium cigarettes- it’s the quickest way of getting a full set. 

5 minutes ago, Foxtrot said:

Let me see if I can plot the route I took for horseman 9, hopefully that might help you a bit as I recall you had problems with that. I made it on my third attempt after dying on the railway bridge twice. 

However, it really pays to do that as John. I’m guessing you know that though. 

Just buy/discard the premium cigarettes- it’s the quickest way of getting a full set. 

yeah i won't even try it as Arthur, i never get far across the border before getting shot to death.

I've tried a couple routes.  First few attempts were going from Van horn down to the Lemoyne border, there's a road crossing right before the border, then follow the road west to take the bridge across the Kamassa, then overland west south west to hit the tracks at the western lemoyne border, riding the tracks to Riggs Station, from there up through Strawberry to cut down across Owanjila Dam and over to Blackwater.

2nd route was going west from van horn to the tracks, take them north a bit to cross the river on the tracks, then go west toward emerald station (overland) and then from there to flatneck station (overland) take the tracks to RIggs, then the same path across the dam and to blackwater.

Had my son turn on my system and check my restore, it took me back to the middle of chapter 4 (Riverboat mission) - .  If it's taking me that far back, i'm just going to restart the game and play through again doing the white hat honor this time and get 100% complete.  Then i can have the fun of killing everyone again in Van Horn repeatedly for the Gambler challenges :) 

5 hours ago, Foxtrot said:

The poker challenge was easier in valentine. They’re weak players and will fold if you go all-in three times in a row

Cool. Good to know.

Also you can't get the white Arabian until after the stable is unlocked.  Spent the last hour reloading saves at the lake to get it to spawn and no dice.  

Are you playing with no guides? After I finished dreamcatchers (with guide) I realized how wrong I was trying without (I think I found 2...)because researchers should be done as soon as you have free roam!!! I personally feel like it's too big and they are too little to complete without guides, same with graves...I did as much as I could without but I regretted that decision because I wish I had had those rewards all game

13 hours ago, Kormath said:

I've tried a couple routes.  First few attempts were going from Van horn down to the Lemoyne border, there's a road crossing right before the border, then follow the road west to take the bridge across the Kamassa, then overland west south west to hit the tracks at the western lemoyne border, riding the tracks to Riggs Station, from there up through Strawberry to cut down across Owanjila Dam and over to Blackwater.

2nd route was going west from van horn to the tracks, take them north a bit to cross the river on the tracks, then go west toward emerald station (overland) and then from there to flatneck station (overland) take the tracks to RIggs, then the same path across the dam and to blackwater.

My route:

Rent a room in Van Horne and start in the evening.  The roads are a bit quieter at night and you don't hit the train going over Bard's Crossing.

• South from Van Horne and cross the river at the bridge.
  • Swing North at the T-junction and head to the track to the north of Emerald Station
  • West, between Emerald Ranch and Heartland Overflow
  • Join the main road, going through Twin Stack Pass
  • Head Southwest and join the train tracks at Flat Neck Station
  • Leave the tracks at Riggs Station
  • Bypass Strawberry town by taking the bypass to the South and loop Northwest up to Owanjila dam
  • Cross, and follow the only route to Blackwater

I didn't time this route (I spent a fair time in the map at points, planning the next steps), but I had the feeling I did it comfortably, even after riding into rocks a couple of times.

I didn't meet the cougar.  I did meet a Skinner ambush, but rode straight through it.

I didn't bother feeding my horse mid-journey - I just kept stabbing it with potent horse stimulant whenever he started getting tired.

6 hours ago, Foxtrot said:

My route:

Rent a room in Van Horne and start in the evening.  The roads are a bit quieter at night and you don't hit the train going over Bard's Crossing.

• South from Van Horne and cross the river at the bridge.
  • Swing North at the T-junction and head to the track to the north of Emerald Station
  • West, between Emerald Ranch and Heartland Overflow
  • Join the main road, going through Twin Stack Pass
  • Head Southwest and join the train tracks at Flat Neck Station
  • Leave the tracks at Riggs Station
  • Bypass Strawberry town by taking the bypass to the South and loop Northwest up to Owanjila dam
  • Cross, and follow the only route to Blackwater

I didn't time this route (I spent a fair time in the map at points, planning the next steps), but I had the feeling I did it comfortably, even after riding into rocks a couple of times.

I didn't meet the cougar.  I did meet a Skinner ambush, but rode straight through it.

I didn't bother feeding my horse mid-journey - I just kept stabbing it with potent horse stimulant whenever he started getting tired.

hmm good to know, i always went through strawberry, that must have slowed me down enough to fail every time i didn't have something else cause me to fail like the stupid cougar, or the laramie gang ambush, that one would make me stop and so they could do their dialogue even while i was mashing the button to run :P

Yeah, I guess it might be deceptive how a town can slow you down, especially when a wagon gets in the way.  I just avoided all towns.  If I try and hurry through a town, the game knows and usually puts a wagon on a bridge to get in my way.  Same with animals - the game knows what I want and then shows me everything in the encyclopedia except the one that I want.

And cut scenes kill the timer I think.  One run, I camped by mistake.

8 minutes ago, Foxtrot said:

Yeah, I guess it might be deceptive how a town can slow you down, especially when a wagon gets in the way.  I just avoided all towns.  If I try and hurry through a town, the game knows and usually puts a wagon on a bridge to get in my way.  Same with animals - the game knows what I want and then shows me everything in the encyclopedia except the one that I want.

And cut scenes kill the timer I think.  One run, I camped by mistake.

Wonder if pausing to check the map has an effect on the timer?

So there I was dreading another play through as the Epilogue was so hard for me to finish.  But here i am in Chapter 2, just unlocked the fence, and i'm loving it!  I'm remembering how i did the missions before and trying different options if they have them.  

Spoiler

Like antagonizing the stranger at the river that is whining about some girl, instead of greeting him and giving advice.

Tonight i should have the materials for the legendary satchel, just like last play through - score is Cougar 8, Arthur 1 lol

• Like 1