Fishing Guide

EjectedCasings

Question

11 answers to this question

11 hours ago, EjectedCasings said:

So recently I have finally bought a fishing rod, yet I have a very vague idea on how to use it. Can anyone make a guide for me?

Check out youtube there are some good guides there, from content creators. It's not that hard. The special lure is the best to use. Don't waste money buying bait from the old girl in Lagras lol.   

Edited by dredd1961

There's more to it than that EC.  I would watch some YT videos like Dredd mentioned.  There are signs of where fish are that you need to pay attention to, etc.  It's not overly complicated but a good tutorial will help show you what you need to know and it would be better IMO to see what to do in this case than for one of us to explain it through text.

Something else to consider is using the iOS/Android App as well.  While fishing, your minimap is not available but you can still view in the in-game map with the app.  .....helps lessen the vulnerability when engaged in this activity by still providing some situational awareness.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2019 at 3:31 PM, EjectedCasings said:

So recently I have finally bought a fishing rod, yet I have a very vague idea on how to use it. Can anyone make a guide for me?

I started out fishing, I caught over 4,000 fish, I will help you out with some tips and techniques in a bit, when I can get back on in a little while.

So the basics have been covered, get your pole, go to a spot and cast out, Now, a few things you should know.

Use dead eye to see where the fish you want to catch are.

Any lure will work in all bodies of water

When you see for example large mouth bass, but also pickerel, blue gills, bull headds, etc.. you want to use your lure to avoid catching the smaller fish, unless of course that is what you want, but if you focus on the larger more expensive fish, ie: Bass, Trout, Salmon, which pay around $2.00 or more each, compared to the smaller fish that pay around $1 each or so.

Also, once you feel the fish bite, on xbox press R trigger to set the hook, then left stick down to keep your tip up, also, when you feel the fish fighting, dont reel in,once they stop, reel and every few seconds flick your left stick down to pull up on the rod to bring the fish closer to you, and when the fish starts fighting again, especially in the landing sequence, DO NOT REEL, or you will lose your lure, it stinks to lose one, so just dont reel when they fight.

Also, you have no minimap while fishing, do yourself a favor, after each time you catch and hold up a fish and it says press (a on xbox) to put it in your satchel, use that few seconds after pressing A to check your map, it doesnt happen everytime but people sometimes do walk up behind you and it never ends well, so....just check your map IMO.

Lets see what else, ok, West of Valentine in the Dakota river are pike, they pay the most, $7.50 I think, you can steal a cart from an npc and bringit with you, back it upto aq rock and load it up I had 6 in mine and one on my horse last time I did that.

Shady belle, to the south along the water there is a spot where you can catch both small and large mouth bass, plus gators, and birds, and then about 1 minute down the coast away from Shady belle towards catfish jacksons, you can also catch 10 steel head trout, so if you do the loop, it is about $75.00 each time and that is fish only, you will also get a few turkey, a few boar, deer, gators, birds, possums, racoons, etc.. so it can easily be 150$ trip and it doesnt take very long, just my experience anyway, I like that little loop it is close to Rhodes and whenever I need money, I will just run this loop a few times and boom $500 in no time at all, plus Shady belle is a hideout you get to clear several times a session and there is a pawn in rhodes to buy the few items you get from looting all the bodies.

Same can be said of Flat rock lake, from Clemmens point to where the lake turns towards Gil's place, and same deal 3 fish plus lake sturgeon, deer boars, etc.., and lastly back near Valentine south of the pike area, just exactly south of cumberland falls, there is a nice spot where you can grab 10 sockeye salmon quickly, they pay well and it is a quick trip to Valentine, so those are my tips, things to look out for and things to try for yourself, good luck to you.

Edited by Kean_1
combined posts and removed blank rows to shorten length
  • Like 2

In Blackwater there is a spot by the butcher which has fish swimming most, not all, of the time, and if you are lucky you can get a few lake sturgeon. its nice bc as soon as you get one you walk 20 feet behind you and sell it to the butcher. I also like north of St Denis there is a small peninsula where you can catch river fish, sometime sturgeon, and exotic birds like heron and spoonbill while also getting gators some boar, maybe a deer and turkeys.  North of St Denis has a lot of birds, fish and gators. You can  make $100 in about 20 or so minutes with some skill and luck

1 hour ago, Aaron said:

In Blackwater there is a spot by the butcher which has fish swimming most, not all, of the time, and if you are lucky you can get a few lake sturgeon. its nice bc as soon as you get one you walk 20 feet behind you and sell it to the butcher. I also like north of St Denis there is a small peninsula where you can catch river fish, sometime sturgeon, and exotic birds like heron and spoonbill while also getting gators some boar, maybe a deer and turkeys.  North of St Denis has a lot of birds, fish and gators. You can  make $100 in about 20 or so minutes with some skill and luck

The only problem with fishing near Blackwater is you often find trouble going to or coming from the butcher, I ad a set up, where I would catch a lake sturgeon run it to the butcher and turn around and get another, it is literally right across the st down a little so very fast turn around, but in the end I was attacked so many times I gave up on it.

The only spots I never had trouble was Cumberland Falls, Shady Belle, and Flat iron lake over near Clemmens point, as I said early, I have caught over 4000 fish, and I can tell you if I fond a loop I can do with no trouble I stick with it, all the ones mentioned work well, but you always have to keep an eye out, f you see a blue blip approach, I tend to talk to them, try to get a dialogue going, if not I get my guard or I just leave, if a red dot comes, I leave, before they get close enough to see my blip.

4 hours ago, EjectedCasings said:

Thanks a bunch! This is exactly what I needed!

You are welcome man, good luck and have fun, a few other tips, if you are fishing for lets say large mouth bass, and after 3 or 4 you dont see one, put on bread and catch a few smaller fish and in that time usually other bass will spawn, if not, cast way way out past where your dead eye can see, and usually you will start hooking up again, no reason to bail on a spot, I get all 10 of each, Large mouth, small mouth and steel heads when I do a cash fishing loop.

Also, predict where the fish will go and lead them, like shooting at a flying bird or airplane in other games, you have to kind of lead them same with this, stubborn fish will take the bait if you cross their paths, AND,

Lastly a move I use a lot, if the fish are near but not close enough to hit yet, put the tip of the fishing pole down quickly and let the line go slack a hair, then very slowly let it come back to center on the stick, so you are essentially "jigging" when you do this, your bait will drop straight down toward the bottom and then appear to swim upward and toward you, mimicking a fish and this is irresistible to the fish you are hunting.

Edited by lumper