Jump to content

Desktop Build: Ryzen 5 or 7?


Vendetta
 Share

Recommended Posts

I'm thinking about gathering the parts for a desktop gaming PC build. I'll will buy part by part, so budget shouldn't be to much of an issue. But the cheaper I can keep cost down, the better. So I was thinking about getting the Ryzen 5 2600 from Newegg at $119.99 and calling it a day. But coming in at $169.99 at Newegg is the Ryzen 7 1700X. Two more cores isn't bad, although I don't know to much about CPU tech. I'm willing to spend up to the $170.00 for a CPU, but not if I don't need it. 

 

I haven't decided on a GPU at the moment. I'll wait for the deals during the upcoming Black Friday Hunger Games. But nothing under a GTX 1060 6GB. Don't know much about the new GTX 1660 6GB.  

What would be the better CPU of the two, with consideration of GPU performance based on CPU power? 

Update: From my research, some people say that most games use around 4 cores, 6 cores is more than enough. Would still like to hear opinions on this. 

Edited by Vendetta
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ryzen 5 for sure, It is plenty powerful enough for any AAA title for years to come. Your graphics card is much more important. Just make sure you meet the recommended requirements for RDR2 and make sure you have enough ram. The Ryzen 5 is also the newer of the two you mentioned. See how little the difference is below:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Ryzen+5+2600&id=3243

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Ryzen+7+1700X&id=2969

Here is a build that will very comfortably play RDR2, just add a case and other extras if needed: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yd3yXv

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Jammin Jim said:

Ryzen 5 for sure, It is plenty powerful enough for any AAA title for years to come. Your graphics card is much more important. Just make sure you meet the recommended requirements for RDR2 and make sure you have enough ram. The Ryzen 5 is also the newer of the two you mentioned. See how little the difference is below:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Ryzen+5+2600&id=3243

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Ryzen+7+1700X&id=2969

Here is a build that will very comfortably play RDR2, just add a case and other extras if needed: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yd3yXv

Thanks for putting together a PC Part Picker list. From everything I've been reading lately, I would have to agree that the Ryzen 5 is the way to go. I actually decided on going the micro ATX route so good call on that!. Maybe there will be some good deals on the GTX 1070 8GB cards next month, but if there's not then the GTX 1660 6GB TI should be a great fit for this build.  Come to think of it, I wonder if there would even be that much advantage with GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5, over the GTX 1660 6GB TI with it's faster GDDR 6 memory. 

Edited by Vendetta
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know about parts myself, my friend built my PC for me but from what I can understand the 7 is only slightly better but not worth the cost difference. 

When you get your PC all done, share the details and post some pics. I like seeing new builds even though I am still very new to it. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/26/2019 at 9:08 AM, Vendetta said:

Thanks for putting together a PC Part Picker list. From everything I've been reading lately, I would have to agree that the Ryzen 5 is the way to go. I actually decided on going the micro ATX route so good call on that!. Maybe there will be some good deals on the GTX 1070 8GB cards next month, but if there's not then the GTX 1660 6GB TI should be a great fit for this build.  Come to think of it, I wonder if there would even be that much advantage with GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5, over the GTX 1660 6GB TI with it's faster GDDR 6 memory. 

The 1660 TI outperforms in some games, see here: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-04-15-gtx-1660-ti-vs-gtx-1070-7001

It's the better value option as well and being newer is also good. 

Like the article says, a 1070 is only a better choice if you find one under $220.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Now that my Ryzen 5 2600 CPU has arrived yesterday, I've been thinking more and more about the direction that I want to go in terms of the motherboard that I will build on, and the case that will house my system. 

I'm going with either a Micro ATX, or Mini ITX motherboard. I'm strongly considering the Mini ITX motherboards at the moment. 

When it comes to cases, these two posted below are calling me!. The first one is the PAEAN M Open Frame M-ATX Chassis that ranges in price from $99.00 USD to $160.00 USD. The second and more expensive option is the Antec STRIKER Aluminum and Steel ITX case for $250.00 USD.  

I'm just starting to research Mini ITX motherboards and if I do go with a Mini ITX gaming motherboard, I want a wifi gaming motherboard that supports 32GB of RAM.   

PAEAN M Open Frame Case.png

Antec Striker.jpg

Edited by Vendetta
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Jammin Jim said:

Thank you for the suggestions. With Black Friday coming soon, I should be able to get some good deals on more expensive parts. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Vendetta said:

Thank you for the suggestions. With Black Friday coming soon, I should be able to get some good deals on more expensive parts. 

That is what I am waiting on. I gotta do a few upgrades. The game will run fine with what I have now but I want it to run smoother and my PC to be able to handle more games coming out later this year as well as next year. I have to make sure it can handle Doom Eternal. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

LATEST RDR2 NEWS CLIPS

×
×
  • Create New...