What's up with camps??

Noquid

Question

I give up for the day.  I log on and am standing at my camp location but no camp.  Summon my horse and go get some game (Trader), then return to no camp STILL.  I change my camp location, it takes my $2 and says it's being created.  Rode around for over an hour and it never spawned.  Complete waste of time, can't get supply missions w/o a camp and can't turn in game/carcasses w/o a camp.  Even tried switching back and forth between horse and hunting wagon, rode to different "zone", went back to my camp location and nothing.  I love the game but this is getting to be a huge waste of time.

9 answers to this question

This issue has to do with lobby size. Rockstar current version of RDO lacks the capability to tell you that camp slots are full (sometimes.) They attempted to fix this with the last patch but it didn't quite work. Unfortunately, the way RDO handles communication between you and other players, a lot of latency issues can happen as your lobby starts to fill up. Especially with things like the camp and moonshine shack.

Basically, you are screwed unless you can find a way to shrink your lobby, there are multiple ways to do that such as just entering and exiting out of the change appearance menu. Due to infinite loading screens with change appearance, you'll have to enter and exit out of the pvp series first then go to your online options and use change appearance then exit. Then put your camp up. Total hassle but it is a solution if you just can't find a smaller lobby.

Edited by poopypoopypoop

10 minutes ago, poopypoopypoop said:

This issue has to do with lobby size. Rockstar current version of RDO lacks the capability to tell you that camp slots are full (sometimes.) They attempted to fix this with the last patch but it didn't quite work. Unfortunately, the way RDO handles communication between you and other players, a lot of latency issues can happen as your lobby starts to fill up. Especially with things like the camp and moonshine shack.

Basically, you are screwed unless you can find a way to shrink your lobby, there are multiple ways to do that such as just entering and exiting out of the change appearance menu. Due to infinite loading screens with change appearance, you'll have to enter and exit out of the pvp series first then go to your online options and use change appearance then exit. Then put your camp up. Total hassle but it is a solution if you just can't find a smaller lobby.

I've never been able to change appearance, tried a number of times and just quit trying.  You just sit there staring at the never ending photos.  Unless you mean to try to change appearance then cancel/quit the game?  (have to do that anyway)

2 minutes ago, Noquid said:

I've never been able to change appearance, tried a number of times and just quit trying.  You just sit there staring at the never ending photos.  Unless you mean to try to change appearance then cancel/quit the game?  (have to do that anyway)

Like I said, you have to enter and exit out of any pvp series first due to the infinite load. Enter and exit, then go into online options and use change appearance. Then exit, you'll be in a temporary solo lobby. Set up your camp quickly before Rockstar matches you with other players, it will stay up where you intended it to go.

1 hour ago, Noquid said:

I give up for the day.  I log on and am standing at my camp location but no camp.  Summon my horse and go get some game (Trader), then return to no camp STILL.  I change my camp location, it takes my $2 and says it's being created.  Rode around for over an hour and it never spawned.  Complete waste of time, can't get supply missions w/o a camp and can't turn in game/carcasses w/o a camp.  Even tried switching back and forth between horse and hunting wagon, rode to different "zone", went back to my camp location and nothing.  I love the game but this is getting to be a huge waste of time.

I've noticed this problem off and on as well. I'm on the Xbox One. Don't really know of a way to fix it since it is server side. 

27 minutes ago, Vendetta said:

I've noticed this problem off and on as well. I'm on the Xbox One. Don't really know of a way to fix it since it is server side. 

I just mentioned how to fix it. Just read one post up. It's a hassle but it's a simple workaround without altering anything.

4 hours ago, poopypoopypoop said:

I just mentioned how to fix it. Just read one post up. It's a hassle but it's a simple workaround without altering anything.

Sorry for the confusion...so enter a pvp challenge like a race, then exit it?  Then go into online options and change appearance, but don't change appearance just exit.  Then quickly choose a camp location?  

Now I have a campfire in one location near Strawberry and the rest of my camp is in Lagras!  I went to strawberry to fast travel to Lagras and it sent me back to my campfire near Strawberry.  Ugh.

Edited by Kean_1
Combined consecutive posts

14 hours ago, Noquid said:

Sorry for the confusion...so enter a pvp challenge like a race, then exit it?  Then go into online options and change appearance, but don't change appearance just exit.  Then quickly choose a camp location?  

Now I have a campfire in one location near Strawberry and the rest of my camp is in Lagras!  I went to strawberry to fast travel to Lagras and it sent me back to my campfire near Strawberry.  Ugh.

I think you're having bad luck here for some reason. What platform are you playing on?

Same problems here noquid.

What's worked for me is:

I join the game through the "camp" option on the online screen. 

If my camp isn't there when I load in, I just go back to online menu screen, and load into "camp" again. 

Its always worked by the second time. Sometimes it's not where I want it, but I just deal with it.  Don't wanna confuse the game by trying such a complex maneuver such as relocating. 

If my camp disappears after 5 minutes, I TRY the camp setup option in the free roam menu, but if it gets hosed up, it's back to the online camp option again. 

• Like 1

Ok thanks I'll give that a try too.  "poopy" I'm on PC and I did try to go into a pvp challenge and exit it before start.  I went straight to "camp" and it was there.  Not sure if it was just dumb luck though.  I've never been able to change appearance btw but I understand you just want to enter it and exit BUT my game freezes every time I do that.