Jump to content

Newbie questions


Recommended Posts

I have some newbie questions! If y'all could humour my stupidity for a moment, I'd be much obliged!

Player icons

As I travel around the world I see player icons on the map. Some of them are blue circles, some of them are red circles (I know what those are!), some of them are blue crosses, and some of them are translucent versions of both.

What's the difference between a cross and a circle, and why are some of them translucent?

Gold

I don't want to buy any gold until I know I'm going to stick with the game for a while.

So far as I can tell though, now that I've finished the story missions the only ways of getting gold are by completing challenges and stranger missions. Which is... well, it's slow going!

Is there a faster way of obtaining it that I'm unaware of? I did eventually manage to get enough gold bars to become a trader (precisely one day before the five bars off offer, of course), but that was with the help of missions.

Disconnects

Now that I'm a trader, I'm noticing the disconnects a lot more. The animal spawn problem hasn't been such a big deal for me as I've been able to find a spot where I can reliably gather pelts and such, but I'm frequently being disconnected and all the pelts I've gathered are gone! I'm really struggling to keep Cripp fuelled because of the disconnects, and it's impacting my enjoyment of the game (and I've come here from Fallout 76!).

I have good Internet and don't suffer this problem with any other game. Is there some kind of setting I need to change to stop this from happening?

Random player kills

I don't mind the occasional Mexican standoff, but some days I'm being shot in the head from afar repeatedly whenever I try to enter a town like Valentine. 

In Fallout 76 there's a 'pacifist' mode for people to kind of opt out of PVP. Is there anything similar here?

Horse health

My horse, Onion, seems to be bugged or something. Her health core drops to half every time I mount her, no matter how recently I fed her. Am I doing something wrong here?

Privacy

Sometimes I seem to end up on a private server. Far from being a problem, it causes animals to spawn in droves and I can enter towns without being shot in the face!

How am I doing this? How can I do it reliably?

 

 

Thanks in advance!

Edited by FruitOfTheLum
Link to post
Share on other sites

Dots.  

Blue ( blueberry) low hostility player, pink: medium hostility player, Red: high hostility player( can be seen a lot farther away on map).

Cross is a posse leader.

Translucent: player in defensive mode. 

Gold: complete daily challenges, the more you get done the higher your gold bonus is.  Other than that, yeah, just grind it out.  When doing stranger missions, wait till last 30 seconds in the safe zone before turning in for max gold. 

When you buy a hunting wagon your pelts are safe in the event of disconnects. Disconnects are kind of a way of life with this game. 

Defensive mode can help with your "random player kills" question.  80% damage reduction, people can't auto aim you, nor you them.  Just make sure they cause damage to you first and turn red, then, you can auto aim and they can't.  

There is no guaranteed way of reliably having a private server, except when you start a legendary bounty.  You will have no camp, but can go hunting. Lots of tips and tricks, but nothing really 100%

Horse: yeah, seems bugged.  Shouldn't do that.  No, nothing wrong you can do to cause a half health drop every time you mount up. 

Edited by Freakshow9191
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Freakshow9191 said:

Dots.  

Blue ( blueberry) low hostility player, pink: medium hostility player, Red: high hostility player( can be seen a lot farther away on map).

Cross is a posse leader.

Translucent: player in defensive mode. 

Gold: complete daily challenges, the more you get done the higher your gold bonus is.  Other than that, yeah, just grind it out.  When doing stranger missions, wait till last 30 seconds in the safe zone before turning in for max gold. 

When you buy a hunting wagon your pelts are safe in the event of disconnects. Disconnects are kind of a way of life with this game. 

Defensive mode can help with your "random player kills" question.  80% damage reduction, people can't auto aim you, nor you them.  Just make sure they cause damage to you first and turn red, then, you can auto aim and they can't.  

There is no guaranteed way of reliably having a private server, except when you start a legendary bounty.  You will have no camp, but can go hunting. Lots of tips and tricks, but nothing really 100%

Horse: yeah, seems bugged.  Shouldn't do that.  No, nothing wrong you can do to cause a half health drop every time you mount up. 

Thank you! That was very helpful! 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2020 at 4:33 PM, Freakshow9191 said:

Blue ( blueberry) low hostility player, pink: medium hostility player, Red: high hostility player( can be seen a lot farther away on map).

I never understood the color choices for this myself but it is handy to know. I confused blue and pink for the longest time though. lol

Should have went with yellow, orange, then red. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/18/2020 at 2:37 AM, HIGHHorse said:

I never understood the color choices for this myself but it is handy to know. I confused blue and pink for the longest time though. lol

Should have went with yellow, orange, then red. 

Maybe it's to help (some) colour blind people? I know some games have been trying to keep them in mind lately. Blue and red might contrast well enough that it's less of a problem.

Though the pink and red thing might not be much use!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, FruitOfTheLum said:

Maybe it's to help (some) colour blind people? I know some games have been trying to keep them in mind lately. Blue and red might contrast well enough that it's less of a problem.

Though the pink and red thing might not be much use!

I was going to mentioned this as well. Likely has to do with color perception but Rockstar isn't exactly a company known for catering to people. I never had issues with it. I think GTA V did the same thing but the color fade was gradual. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

LATEST RDR2 NEWS CLIPS

×
×
  • Create New...