Hooked on catching Legendary fish but something’s not right!

AddyP

I’ve progressed through to chapter 3 of the story and I’m now pretty addicted to fishing. I’ve got all the baits and lures and met Jeremy etc so have embarked after some legendary fish ( got the map ). But after getting a notification that I’ve arrived at said fish site it seems that I’m only catching a different species where another type should be. First I was south of the bridge near Rhodes for sturgeon but only caught longnose gar ( caught an 18lb’er) , then where I was notified I was at small mouth bass site I only caught muskie and then in the Dakota river I only caught steelheads. Am I missing something or is there no problem and I’m being impatient! Also the large gar I caught I took on my horse to Jeremy and he wasn’t in, plus I couldn’t post it either. Anyone help?

Yes, it depends where you fish from. 

For the sturgeon, you need to fish from the railway tracks, not from the shore. 

For the small mouth bass, it’s the promontory on the south bank, near where a fishing pole is resting against a rock. 

Its a matter of either walking around the area and casting in different place, or looking up the exact location on the internet. 

Usually, if I’m in the right spot, I’ll hook into the legend on the first cast. 

Even when you use the special bait lures you'll catch other types of fish. I think it does matter whereabouts you stand though. I was told that it doesn't matter where you stand you can catch the legendary fish but I'm not sure this is true.  There was one place  (I can't remember where it was), but it had  a waterfall)  where I was getting no luck at all. I tried for 30 mins and it wasn't happening. I went online for some help and found sites that advise on where to stand etc. One site advised moving close to the waterfall and within 5 minutes I landed the leg fish.

That’s the steelhead trout at the top of the Roanoke?  Yep, I fished on the east bank and got nothing. Swapping to the West Bank and going to the island got me the fish, even though the lure itself was roughly in the same place when cast from both sides. 

Inthink that where you cast from is more important than where the lure is cast to. 

4 hours ago, AddyP said:

Also the large gar I caught I took on my horse to Jeremy and he wasn’t in, plus I couldn’t post it either

If it's not legendary, then he doesn't give a sh*t.

Some fish were much easier than others. I'd say probably half of them I caught first try, the rest took some time/effort. Try using eagle eye (press down on both joysticks) with your fishing rod out to spot them. Most of them are large, so they might blend in with the muskies/gar that are everywhere.

Don't just stay in one spot the whole time. I've spent hours in the same spot, only to find the fish was just down the shore a bit.