A handy horse tip

MaryW

Question

I have a Superior Arabian Horse-chestnut Female, called Polly, and it's usually quite a flighty little s*d but during an On The Hunt mission I noticed that even though the three wolves were banging into my horse I wasn't being thrown. It was after I killed them I realised I was holding down L3 the entire time.
So, when you approach your prey press L3 a couple of times to ensure your horse is already calm and then when the shooting starts keep it (L3) held down and you should be fine.
I'm unsure if this works for big cats or grizzlies but it has worked a number of times with black bears, wolves and the flying spaghetti monster...
...I lied about that last one :D

Does this work for you? I'll be testing it on all large prey later so catch yous all later :D

11 answers to this question

Love the name. Did you go for plaits?
I only discovered the holding down the L3 thing the other day and I've been playing the damn game since day 1. I wonder what else I don't know ;)

How can you sex the horse?  Like I've no clue what mine's is.  Is there some symbol etc that says in the stats? o_O

I've not really went out hunting yet other than just rabbits and dear.  So I'll give that a go when I eventually get to that stage.

1 hour ago, dredd1961 said:

Easy if it's a stallion it has balls, a mare none. If that is not working for you enter a stable look at the horses specs and it will tell you male or female. 

I've literally never noticed.  So it must be a mare, although I've never gone checking...

16 minutes ago, MaryW said:

Also, Syrens, if you left press the d-pad while in-game and then select Stables>Owned Horses you can find out what's what from there.

Yeah see, I play around 20-feet from a 32-inch set so I really can't see anything that's written LOL.  I just play purely based on what everyone's saying about everything.

15 hours ago, Syrens said:

I've literally never noticed.  So it must be a mare, although I've never gone checking...

If you have a male horse, the "package" is kind of hard to miss when you are riding it. I try to opt for females myself. I am not a fan of seeing big wiggly balls bouncing around under a horse tail when I am riding lol

5 hours ago, redscrew said:

If you have a male horse, the "package" is kind of hard to miss when you are riding it. I try to opt for females myself. I am not a fan of seeing big wiggly balls bouncing around under a horse tail when I am riding lol

Safe to say I must have nabbed a mare, I've never noticed and if it's that obvious then clearly it's no stallion!