3rd time is the charm

lumper

Yep, I am in my third play through, and loving it more than ever.

The first time I played the game I really didnt understand how open world games really worked and what game developers were capable of and what they are actually doing with these type games.

The second time I played through it was because I felt like I left so much out the first time through.

But what happened was I was just running around collecting stuff around the story missions and in the end it was fun, but not as good as it could be.

The third time through though, I decided to mix it all together, so I play a story mission or two, then a stranger mission or two, then I go free roaming to try and get he satchel upgrades.

Each time I do this I work on one thing or the other, like I have all the satchel upgrades by the first mission in chapter 3 and I would have had it in chapter 2 but I didnt realize I could get a panther early on, I was thinking I had to get hunter challenge 10 done so I could hunt the legendary Panther but as you know it is not necessary, so I stopped working on the challenge, ( challenge 6, skin 5 cougars after killing them with a bow, I have 2 left) this was taking me some time as they are tough to spawn regularly.

Anyway I am having so much more fun, I have almost all of chapter 3 to do yet and I have done 9 companion items and delivered them, and I have the pipe and compass for when they eventually ask, I have the satchel upgraded to the max one, I have 4 legendary animals and 2 fish, 2 gunslingers, etc.. 

Doing it this way what is happening is I get to begin the chapter story, then do a few stranger missions, then go hunting and exploring.

I went and got the white Arabian, and kept my horse out too and went on a legendary animal hunt, where I can carry two full size loads plus countless skins.

I was able to carry a Black Bear, am Elk and a Legendary fish by carrying it myself lol anyway it is very satisfying working through the game in this way.

When I go back to Rhodes in a little bit and go meet Dutch in town to kick off the story missions, I will feel like I already got the stuff I need like the horse, satchel, dead eye upgrades, etc.,. and it is just more fun.

I dont even mind the Epilogue that much, I know it is slow and a little boring, but if you are like me, and did all the camp chores everytime they were ready to be done, you are used to it, the Epilogue was fun, but getting through it well sets up the rest of the game, all the stuff you can do in the southern part of the map and all that, so I really dont mind it at all.

I wish there were more to do in that part of the map, a few chapters worth of stuff would be great, since we have the map and everything is in place, but I digress.

I also grabbed a ton of items in the swamp when I was there so I am way ahead of the game when we get to chapter 4 and spend time in St Denis.

anyway seriously, the third time playing the game is awesome!!

It took me two other times to "Get it".

Now my OCD is doing the rest.

It feels very complete and fun this way.

RDR2 ruined all my other games so may as well play it til I am sick of it

If someone was going to begin now and asked me, I would suggest they do a similar thing, with a short list of items to get first, but the satchel upgrades are probably the most significant.

My short list of things I wish were in the game, 

The ability to hang people

The ability to climb trees

The ability to use the lasso for other things like lowering yourself over a edge or pulling yourself up a cliff, etc..

Blacksmiths, we never have to deal with a horse shoe or anything and every town should have a livery and blacksmith, plus you coudl add road maintenance by having to do shoe repairs etc..

Using the telegraph, sending and receiving messages at times, would be helpful.

That is my short list, hard to say I dont like anything in the game, I do, I love it.

Edited by lumper
  • Like 4

Well said! I have played through the game four times and my fourth time was like your third. It was really immersive and great in more or less every way. I do think though that  the game is best during chapter 1-4, the two last chapters are not my cup of tea and the reasons are many. I still love the game but as I said, the earlier chapters are beyond a doubt the best. 

I wish there was a new game + sort of thing where I could start over with all my items ans weapons from the start. This because I am not really fond of the fact that my favorite shotgun is unlocked at the very end. 

4 hours ago, lumper said:

which shotgun?
I have the pump, semi auto, and double barrel plus special I think from the hermit lady or guy?
I am not sure if I know of another.

The repeater shotgun, but you may put the “Henry rifle” to the weapons one only get at the end as well. This is why I want a new game +

In regards to the shotgun, go to a weapon store and just see the shotguns in the catalogue, it is the last one.

https://reddead.fandom.com/wiki/Repeating_Shotgun?file=Repeating_Shotgun_-_Red_Dead_2.png

Edited by Minimoni

4 hours ago, Cliffs said:

I just finished my 1st playthrough and i played it as you are doing on your 3rd. I never rush through open world games and the beauty of RD2 helped me ta,me any desire to do so.

WoW, thats great man!!

See, to be honest, I really didnt understand how to play an open world game, I thought I did but really I was fooling myself.

I didnt realize how much or how in general the game developers were utilizing the technology, with easter eggs, hidden messages, and items, missions, etc.. I had no idea that they were putting in so much time and detail.

After my first playthrough I was overwhelemed but knew I missed way too much, my second playthrough was just me trying to see everything I missed, but not in order or in an organic kind of way, so....

This time for me was because I learned what they are going for with this type of game.

I get it now, and I cant wait for the next Pre Quil I hope, but whatever happens, open world games will never be the same, now they will be forced to live up to RDR2 nad this level of detail, although I fear that few will ever do as well, most companies have budgets and time tables and such, but time will tell.

3 hours ago, lumper said:

WoW, thats great man!!

See, to be honest, I really didnt understand how to play an open world game, I thought I did but really I was fooling myself.

I didnt realize how much or how in general the game developers were utilizing the technology, with easter eggs, hidden messages, and items, missions, etc.. I had no idea that they were putting in so much time and detail.

After my first playthrough I was overwhelemed but knew I missed way too much, my second playthrough was just me trying to see everything I missed, but not in order or in an organic kind of way, so....

This time for me was because I learned what they are going for with this type of game.

I get it now, and I cant wait for the next Pre Quil I hope, but whatever happens, open world games will never be the same, now they will be forced to live up to RDR2 nad this level of detail, although I fear that few will ever do as well, most companies have budgets and time tables and such, but time will tell.

open world games are my favorite, i often clock in 100+ hours before i'm half way through the story line.  That's one reason i love RDR2, Just Cause, Far Cry, etc. etc.  

I have no idea how much time i spent in RDR2, but i'm still not done with the 2nd epilogue and until about 2 weeks ago or so I played it nightly since release for 2-4 hours, and countless hours on the weekends.  My empty nesting has been playing xbox  😁.  I'll get to the chore list this spring when there's not 5 ft of snow in the yard.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Totally agree. I’m on my third as well. Finally doing it slowly and really enjoying the game for every little detail it offers. I missed so much the first and second time. It’s amazing how doing it over changes your perspective. 

No no game out there like it. Such a masterpiece!