Lures

nshanny73

and is it just me or does the standard river (or lake and swamp) do everything that the "special" series of lures does? 

Do the specials not break?  banked 3112 fish and I've only lost one river lure, to a bad positioning beside a dock.. have never broken a special

The "special" series of lures, as you'll probably know, were specifically for catching the legendary fish in SP. Since those don't as yet exist in MP they don't do anything that the normal river/lake/swamp ones won't. Can't speak for the relative hardiness of each lure but, like you, I have very rarely lost any of them and lost none at all for ages.

p.s. Where do you find the number of fish caught?. That's a stat of mine I'd be interested in 😯

Edited by Traks1

15 hours ago, nshanny73 said:

and is it just me or does the standard river (or lake and swamp) do everything that the "special" series of lures does? 

Do the specials not break?  banked 3112 fish and I've only lost one river lure, to a bad positioning beside a dock.. have never broken a special

I have done a LOT of fishing, a ridiculous amount for how new I am to online, and I have lost 3 lures.

Just being impatient, I got used to reeling even when they were struggling near shore, and I landed several but I pushed it too far and lost my only lure at one point, I was so mad, I had to fish with bait and deal with all the smaller fish, it was cool to have 10 of each and have 9 different species, its a lot of fish, But Rockstar gifted me a fishing kit a few days later and I got three lures, then I managed to lose the lake lure on a lake sturgeon immediately, so now I am very patient and I am very close to the level I wan to be at that I can put the pole down and just play the game for a while very soon. 

Also interesting note, you can fish with any lure in any body of water and they work just fine, ie: lake lure in the swamp, or river works perfectly fine.

Edited by lumper

2 hours ago, lumper said:

I have done a LOT of fishing, a ridiculous amount for how new I am to online, and I have lost 3 lures.

Only 3? Is there like a trick to this because I hardly fished I am guessing in comparison to you and I lost damn near 10 now. lol

13 hours ago, GatoNegro said:

Only 3? Is there like a trick to this because I hardly fished I am guessing in comparison to you and I lost damn near 10 now. lol

Well, I dont know if it is a trick, 

But here is what I do.

arm the fishing pole, look for the bubbles from the fish, use eagle eye to see what im dealing with, ie: bass, trout, or smaller fishes.

Once I see what im fishing for I cast out to the fish and try to put my bait/lure right in their path, and move it around a litle, often I tip my pole toward the water, slacking up the line, and while the tip is lowered I flick the R trigger to snap the line, (Might be a different button on ps4)
Here is the part that matters,

Once the fish has struck, I set the hook and DO NOT REEL.

Just let the initial fighting happen and as soon as the fish settles down, start reeling while snapping the left thumb stick from up to down, repeatedly, this will pull the fish in closer to you, after you do this a few times you get a rhythm.

Once the fish begins fighting while you are reeling/pulling, STOP REELING.

Do not try to reel in a fighting fish unless it is one of the smaller fish, ie: rock bass, blue gil, red fin pickerel, chain pickerel, bull head, etc..

Any mid or large sized fish has the ability to snap your line and take your lure if you reel while they are fighting, so it is very important to stop reeling when the fish begins to fight.

Repeat until you land the fish.

When fishing with bait and catching those smaller species I mentioned, you do not have to observe this, just set hook, and reel in until you have them, it is very fast, these fish only pay around 1$ each but they land very very quickly, so if you are in an area with a lot of bass or steelheads but mixed in are the smaller fish too, after you get your 10 of large mouth, small mouth, steelhead, or sockeye, then put on bread bait and go ahead and clean out all those smaller fish too, it only  takes a few minutes and 10 add up to 10 to 15$ depending on species.

So you can actually go to butcher with not only your bass and trout, but all those others I mentioned too and if you do it each time, that extra 30$ adds up, IMO.

As long as you are patient when reeling you wont ever lose a lure.

I did lose 3 or 4 early on learning this so.... take my advice, never reel in a fighting fish.

Oh and the larger ones, like Northern pike, Lake Sturgeon, long nose gar, etc.. same deal but they take a lot longer so just be patient, and use your left thumbstick more than anything when reeling in larger fish.

Doing this I have landed thousands of fish, or at least it seems like thousands.

Also, side note, last night I took a cart from an npc, rode it to the Dakota River and caught and landed 6 northern pike and brought them all the the butcher!!

That was amazing, sadly it only worked once, as the second time I tried I only found 2 and the third time I tried I only found 1, but it did work, I took the cart all the way to Shady Belle from Valentine and figured I would load it up with gator pelts, and long nose Gar.

Before I could get there, I stopped at Flat Iron Lake, and caught 4 Lake Sturgeon, and was able to deliver those to the Rhodes butcher, so you can use a cart and load up more than one of the larger items you cant normally carry, like gator pelts, big fish, etc..

Trick is to park the cart on a hill or next to a rock or something that you can easily walk into the back to "drop" your load each time and not to walk too far away from the cart, if you do, it will disappear on you.

Anyway that is my advice for fishing.

Good luck, and remember you can catch any fish without a lure it just takes longer because every other fish will also be biting but you can not catch small fish with a lure.

Edited by lumper
  • Thanks 1

On 3/25/2019 at 10:33 AM, lumper said:

Well, I dont know if it is a trick, 

But here is what I do.

arm the fishing pole, look for the bubbles from the fish, use eagle eye to see what im dealing with, ie: bass, trout, or smaller fishes.

Once I see what im fishing for I cast out to the fish and try to put my bait/lure right in their path, and move it around a litle, often I tip my pole toward the water, slacking up the line, and while the tip is lowered I flick the R trigger to snap the line, (Might be a different button on ps4)
Here is the part that matters,

Once the fish has struck, I set the hook and DO NOT REEL.

Just let the initial fighting happen and as soon as the fish settles down, start reeling while snapping the left thumb stick from up to down, repeatedly, this will pull the fish in closer to you, after you do this a few times you get a rhythm.

Once the fish begins fighting while you are reeling/pulling, STOP REELING.

Do not try to reel in a fighting fish unless it is one of the smaller fish, ie: rock bass, blue gil, red fin pickerel, chain pickerel, bull head, etc..

Any mid or large sized fish has the ability to snap your line and take your lure if you reel while they are fighting, so it is very important to stop reeling when the fish begins to fight.

Repeat until you land the fish.

When fishing with bait and catching those smaller species I mentioned, you do not have to observe this, just set hook, and reel in until you have them, it is very fast, these fish only pay around 1$ each but they land very very quickly, so if you are in an area with a lot of bass or steelheads but mixed in are the smaller fish too, after you get your 10 of large mouth, small mouth, steelhead, or sockeye, then put on bread bait and go ahead and clean out all those smaller fish too, it only  takes a few minutes and 10 add up to 10 to 15$ depending on species.

So you can actually go to butcher with not only your bass and trout, but all those others I mentioned too and if you do it each time, that extra 30$ adds up, IMO.

As long as you are patient when reeling you wont ever lose a lure.

I did lose 3 or 4 early on learning this so.... take my advice, never reel in a fighting fish.

Oh and the larger ones, like Northern pike, Lake Sturgeon, long nose gar, etc.. same deal but they take a lot longer so just be patient, and use your left thumbstick more than anything when reeling in larger fish.

Doing this I have landed thousands of fish, or at least it seems like thousands.

Also, side note, last night I took a cart from an npc, rode it to the Dakota River and caught and landed 6 northern pike and brought them all the the butcher!!

That was amazing, sadly it only worked once, as the second time I tried I only found 2 and the third time I tried I only found 1, but it did work, I took the cart all the way to Shady Belle from Valentine and figured I would load it up with gator pelts, and long nose Gar.

Before I could get there, I stopped at Flat Iron Lake, and caught 4 Lake Sturgeon, and was able to deliver those to the Rhodes butcher, so you can use a cart and load up more than one of the larger items you cant normally carry, like gator pelts, big fish, etc..

Trick is to park the cart on a hill or next to a rock or something that you can easily walk into the back to "drop" your load each time and not to walk too far away from the cart, if you do, it will disappear on you.

Anyway that is my advice for fishing.

Good luck, and remember you can catch any fish without a lure it just takes longer because every other fish will also be biting but you can not catch small fish with a lure.

Damn thanks for this man, I appreciate it. I actually just hopped on here for a few while waiting for a pizza to finish in the oven. I am about to go hop on RDR2 and give this a shot. I'll try to remember to report back. Thanks again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GatoNegro said:

Damn thanks for this man, I appreciate it. I actually just hopped on here for a few while waiting for a pizza to finish in the oven. I am about to go hop on RDR2 and give this a shot. I'll try to remember to report back. Thanks again.

I checked, Ive only got 2 days 19 hours in game, and I caught 1,270 fish, feels like more honestly.

Tried fishing but i dont like it, my thumb is kiling me from the reeling and it takes too long. 

I fish with dynamite on shallow waters... boom and pick up. ofc they are not 3 stars but it adds up to my normal hunting route (pelts, meat, paws, feathers etc). 45 mins gives me 100-130 $ depending on luck with birds. Area is not popular so sometimes no one bothers me for even 2 or 3 hours. 

Anyway almost finished grinding for cash ... have almost all cards that i want maxed out , weapons maxed out  and dont care about the outfits that much. Playing more pvp  games now and sometimes mission to cool off a bit from the pvp, drink a beer etc. 

Edited by James Hickok_1837