Upgrading to the Special Edition

Greetings,

Received RDR2 as a Christmas gift.  Would like to upgrade to the Special Edition without having to purchase the game a second time.  Is this possible to do as lower cost add on?

Thanks in advance!

18 hours ago, 4510 said:

Greetings,

Received RDR2 as a Christmas gift.  Would like to upgrade to the Special Edition without having to purchase the game a second time.  Is this possible to do as lower cost add on?

Thanks in advance!

If I recall correctly there's not an add-on in the Xbox store to upgrade, You'll have to pay full price for the special edition game, but that may have changed since i looked last. 

If you've already played the game, then you won't be able to wangle a return/refund.

To be honest, I don't believe that the additional content for the Special Edition is really that compelling enough to pay extra for it.

• Looting to get money is part of the fun of the game
  • You can get by with a base level horse for the majority of the game
  • You get one more treasure and one more hideout with the special edition
  • You get a costume with the special edition
  • You get a trinket with a marginal effect

There isn't really anything there that significantly enhances your enjoyment of the game (at least in my opinion).

3 hours ago, Foxtrot said:

If you've already played the game, then you won't be able to wangle a return/refund.

To be honest, I don't believe that the additional content for the Special Edition is really that compelling enough to pay extra for it.

• Looting to get money is part of the fun of the game
  • You can get by with a base level horse for the majority of the game
  • You get one more treasure and one more hideout with the special edition
  • You get a costume with the special edition
  • You get a trinket with a marginal effect

There isn't really anything there that significantly enhances your enjoyment of the game (at least in my opinion).

agreed.  i don't think i even rode the war horse for more than a few hours real time.  I rode it up to get the white arabian and left it up there.  Then after whistiling for my horse a dozen or so time and getting the message it was too far away i rode back and led him to the stables.  this play through i took the starter horse up to get the arabian.

Tks folks.  I was hoping that perhaps RDR2 would have incremental packages that could be purchased if people wanted to upgrade their version.  I agree with the line of thought that there isn't enough to justify buying the whole package to get the upgrade. 

• 3 weeks later...

@4510

hi, I paid almost double the price of the standard game for my steel box addition..

I got a nice shiny varmint rifle, a superb pump action shotgun, a nice looking horse, n some other stuff i can't even remember.

I've had the game since early december n got online in january, and constantly wonder why I paid out all that extra cash.

I'm a hunter gatherer type and love the varmint rifle, but I have to question if I would have got it fairly early in the game.  When designing my character I got a decent amount of cash for additional stuff, but I don't know if that's what everyone starts off with or just cos I'd paid for the steel box version.  

If I were you I would just stick to what you have and if theres anything you feel you desperately need then spend real money buying rdo gold.

Don't get me wrong, its a nice lookin metal cd case, complete with a printed map ... but that definitely doesn't warrant the price tag.  I suspect the collector in me got carried away, lol.

hope that helps

11 minutes ago, GOFQSPIDERS said:

@4510

hi, I paid almost double the price of the standard game for my steel box addition..

I got a nice shiny varmint rifle, a superb pump action shotgun, a nice looking horse, n some other stuff i can't even remember.

I've had the game since early december n got online in january, and constantly wonder why I paid out all that extra cash.

I'm a hunter gatherer type and love the varmint rifle, but I have to question if I would have got it fairly early in the game.  When designing my character I got a decent amount of cash for additional stuff, but I don't know if that's what everyone starts off with or just cos I'd paid for the steel box version.  

If I were you I would just stick to what you have and if theres anything you feel you desperately need then spend real money buying rdo gold.

Don't get me wrong, its a nice lookin metal cd case, complete with a printed map ... but that definitely doesn't warrant the price tag.  I suspect the collector in me got carried away, lol.

hope that helps

you get bonus cash with the upgrade versions.  Varmint rifle is available at gunshops after completing Chapter 1, or free with the upgrade versions of the game.  I used 3 rifles for both play throughs, the varmint rifle was always in the bottom slot of the weapon wheel, unless a mission changed that for me, and the left spot cycled between the springfield rifle and lacaster repeater, then replaced with the litchfield when it was unlocked.