Hunting Wagon (possible Spoilers)

CosmoKramer

Its great that R* listened to the community and brought us the hunting wagon but having had it for a few days I just feel they've somehow squeezed all the fun out of it and its going to end up in the stable gathering dust, unused.

The Good

- If you crash the wagon because some dopey NPC won't move off the path (or you have to quit the game or get disconnected) you don't lose what you have stored on the wagon

- Haven't confirmed this but I was struggling to find positives so I'm gonna put it out there - carcasses don't decompose as quickly as they do on your horse??

The Bad

- Capacity - 3 large carcasses and 4 medium carcasses is pathetic for the size of wagon. When I was stealing wagons before the update and loading them up with goods on a hunt I was getting at least 6 large animals in the wagon, no problem. I was hoping the medium carcasses would hang off the sides like they hang off your horse (4-5 each side?) saving some space but I presume the saving of what cargo you have prevented this from being implemented.

- Kept in Stable - if you want to use it you have to make it your only mode of transport i.e. your horse has to be stabled. This presents several issues:-

• You can't store guns on your wagon so you only have whatever weapons you had active when you entered the stable 
  • Any carcasses stored on your horse when you entered the stable aren't transferred to the wagon like if you changed horses (although they remain on the horse when you pick it back up from the stable).
  • You can't call your wagon so if you get separated from it, you're walking.

- Can't put supply bags in it - If you do a resupply mission with it (because its a long way from camp to stable to change over to a horse) and you get there and its a bag not a wagon you can't put it in your hunting wagon. So you have to complete the mission on foot. And when you complete the mission you either have a long walk back to the wagon or to the stable.

- Discarding animals - if you load the wagon with carcasses and then find better ones you have to discard the original carcass to load the new one. No option to skin the animal you're replacing as you would be able to do with your horse.

- Upgrades (or rather lack thereof) - things may change but I assumed there would be options for upgrades not just insurance. I thought the better horses available from ranking up trader would be used to haul your wagon making it faster and more responsive for instance.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of stuff I found with it but I already haven't used it since Saturday. What are anyone else's thoughts?

What I do is use my horse.... when I find a 3 star I will make my way to a road flee my horse then call my wagon....load the wagon and dismiss it, re call horse back.... That way i can keep the maneuverability and load pelts on (pelts do not degrade).... there is a 2 min cooldown when you dismiss the wagon but thats not a big deal.  

I'm loving the wagon. I belive you can store 5 perfect large animals... 10 point system 2 points for large animals 1 point for small. So really you can bring cripps back 7 perfect deer.... 5 in the cart 1 on the horse and drag 1. Rinse and repeat!

Wagon also saves! Loaded it came back the next day and animals still there for donation. Huge plus

Edited by llp

Any problems with Posse members not being able to drop animals into the wagon?  Idk if that's by design but I have not yet been able to drop anything into my friends wagon, it grays out the option.  He did set wagon to accessible to everyone, tried messing with different options but no success.  I have heard it should let us but have not confirmed. 

On 9/16/2019 at 10:32 AM, CosmoKramer said:

- Capacity - 3 large carcasses and 4 medium carcasses is pathetic for the size of wagon.

I was able to put 5 large carcasses in mine today plus I added a few condors and rabbits too, and an iguana.

On 9/18/2019 at 4:29 PM, Devohuntz said:

problems with Posse members not being able to drop animals into the wagon?  Idk if that's by design but I have not yet been able to drop anything into my friends wagon, it grays out the option. 

I think you have to allow access in the players menu first.